Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL392, 22 Yukon Denali, 18 F250, 17 Dutch Star
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
Six months ago, I didn’t know you guys even existed…

We’d just bought a motorhome, and wanted to get a jeep to flat-tow while we cruised around America. Walking through the parking lot at the golf course, I saw this beauty:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build IMG_6536

I saw that decal on the front that said “6.4L V8” - wow! I didn’t know you could get a V8 in a wrangler. So I went home & googled it. After watching a dozen 392 review videos, I knew what Jeep I was going to get. Then I test drove a used one in San Antonio - holy crap - sign me up.

So I immediately tried to order one from a local dealer, but the turn-around was longer than I could wait - we had a trip planned for late June, and I had to get a tow vehicle before then.

I found a dealership in Kentucky that had a couple of 392’s in stock:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build 67347682271__A4A5EE9B-FDF0-4B7D-BE10-53C9826E5F2D.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build IMG_6625.JPG

Now I LOVE the Sting Gray - would have been my choice, but I’ve been driving a gray truck for the past 4 years, and I was ready for something a little louder.

I had the red one shipped to me, and when it arrived, I ran out and put some 35s on it, then had a flat-tow kit installed - ready to rock & roll, or so I thought.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build IMG_6701

On that 1st trip, my wife and I took a little off-road trail in Arches National Park. As far as YOU guys go, it was a pretty tame trail - no winch & fully aired tires. But I had a blast! I didn’t know a jeep could go over so much crazy stuff so effortlessly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build IMG_7142

When I got back to TX, I went online and started researching stuff I could do to upgrade my jeep, and found this guy:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 2.58.06 PM

The jeep in the above video looked like a perfect compromise between a fully bad-ass rock crawler, and something I could still drive 80 on the freeway. So I had them spec it out for me - with a couple of minor changes.

So here's what I ended up ordering - keep in mind that this was back in August. I've since made another trip to Moab - this time just for getting some trail experience.

Exodus 4x4 ordered everything and put me on their schedule for November 16th (this was back in August). But we couldn't wait that long - we had to get some more wheeling in. So we took off back to Moab in late October and did a bunch of trails.

Before we went, I installed a Warn Zeon 10s, a Wouxun KG-1000G, tire deflators, and a decent 12v compressor. Plus, this time we trailered the Jeep - I'm not a fan of not being able to back up - even a little bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build IMG_7035

NOW I understand why you need all this suspension / big tires / skid plates, etc. I must have dragged and clanked every low point on the jeep. I even bent the exhaust pipes! But worse of all, the flat tow bar was constantly getting me hung up. As a consequence, I asked Exodus to also remove the flat tow bar, and "unbend" my tail pipes - coincidentally, I bent them up on "Steel Bender".

A few days ago, I delivered my Jeep to Exodus - you know you picked the right place to build your Jeep when every vehicle in the parking lot is a badass Jeep. It's due to be finished around December 2nd - I'll make sure to post some photos then, or if I make it over there to see it before then.

Now I'm turning into you guys - I can't wait to try out all the new stuff on the Jeep, and I'm already planning round #2! I have 2 more trail trips planned already!
Sponsored

Lumis Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 JTR
When the snow clears, jump on some of the Colorado trails. You'll love them!
2023 JTR, FIRECRACKER,
2023 JLUR 392XR ordered 7/7/22 waiting (7th jeep).
Started in CJ's 1985

Sponsored

CockneyUSA

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X, Corvette Grand Sport, Toyota Tundra. Ordering 392...
Six months ago, I didn’t know you guys even existed…

We’d just bought a motorhome, and wanted to get a jeep to flat-tow while we cruised around America. Walking through the parking lot at the golf course, I saw this beauty:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build IMG_7110

I saw that decal on the front that said “6.4L V8” - wow! I didn’t know you could get a V8 in a wrangler. So I went home & googled it. After watching a dozen 392 review videos, I knew what Jeep I was going to get. Then I test drove a used one in San Antonio - holy crap - sign me up.

So I immediately tried to order one from a local dealer, but the turn-around was longer than I could wait - we had a trip planned for late June, and I had to get a tow vehicle before then.

I found a dealership in Kentucky that had a couple of 392’s in stock:

Now I LOVE the Sting Gray - would have been my choice, but I’ve been driving a gray truck for the past 4 years, and I was ready for something a little louder.

I had the red one shipped to me, and when it arrived, I ran out and put some 35s on it, then had a flat-tow kit installed - ready to rock & roll, or so I thought.

On that 1st trip, my wife and I took a little off-road trail in Arches National Park. As far as YOU guys go, it was a pretty tame trail - no winch & fully aired tires. But I had a blast! I didn’t know a jeep could go over so much crazy stuff so effortlessly.

When I got back to TX, I went online and started researching stuff I could do to upgrade my jeep, and found this guy:

The jeep in the above video looked like a perfect compromise between a fully bad-ass rock crawler, and something I could still drive 80 on the freeway. So I had them spec it out for me - with a couple of minor changes.

So here's what I ended up ordering - keep in mind that this was back in August. I've since made another trip to Moab - this time just for getting some trail experience.

Exodus 4x4 ordered everything and put me on their schedule for November 16th (this was back in August). But we couldn't wait that long - we had to get some more wheeling in. So we took off back to Moab in late October and did a bunch of trails.

Before we went, I installed a Warn Zeon 10s, a Wouxun KG-1000G, tire deflators, and a decent 12v compressor. Plus, this time we trailered the Jeep - I'm not a fan of not being able to back up - even a little bit.

NOW I understand why you need all this suspension / big tires / skid plates, etc. I must have dragged and clanked every low point on the jeep. I even bent the exhaust pipes! But worse of all, the flat tow bar was constantly getting me hung up. As a consequence, I asked Exodus to also remove the flat tow bar, and "unbend" my tail pipes - coincidentally, I bent them up on "Steel Bender".

A few days ago, I delivered my Jeep to Exodus - you know you picked the right place to build your Jeep when every vehicle in the parking lot is a badass Jeep. It's due to be finished around December 2nd - I'll make sure to post some photos then, or if I make it over there to see it before then.

Now I'm turning into you guys - I can't wait to try out all the new stuff on the Jeep, and I'm already planning round #2! I have 2 more trail trips planned already!

NIce setup. I have almost the same with a Tiffin and a 392. I'm in San Antonio too. I didn't use the flat tow kit, I used an aftermarket bumper with heavy reinforcement. Works great. Perhaps we'll see you around.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build 1669148422619

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Bender from bending state Bender? Wow, you're a legend around here!

Did it seem to tow better when you were flat-towing or trailering it?

OP
OP
BenderRodriguez

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
When the snow clears, jump on some of the Colorado trails. You'll love them!
2023 JTR, FIRECRACKER,
2023 JLUR 392XR ordered 7/7/22 waiting (7th jeep).
Started in CJ's 1985
We're planning on hitting some trails in CO near you next summer! FYI, we used to live just outside of Dolores - 40 minutes west of Durango. Currently we're looking for a summer home near Durango - waiting for whatever real estate "correction" is supposedly going to happen to happen...

Beautiful place to life - you are surrounded by Jeep country!

OP
OP
BenderRodriguez

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
NIce setup. I have almost the same with a Tiffin and a 392. I'm in San Antonio too. I didn't use the flat tow kit, I used an aftermarket bumper with heavy reinforcement. Works great. Perhaps we'll see you around.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build 1669148422619
Nice rig!! Also, one of my favorite colors in the 392 - goes well with the coach! I should have done the bumper thing - I talked to a couple of manufacturers and they said theirs weren't rated for towing - just recovery. So I chickened out and went with Blue Ox (wasted a few $thousand - ouch).

Last summer we joined Harvest Hosts. The wife loves staying overnight at various wineries, and they always seem to have some interesting beer for me. So we alternate between harvest host overnight stays and RV parks. Takes us 3 days to get to trail country without driving too hard.

Do y'all go up to Moab and do trails? We are going back in May...

CockneyUSA

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X, Corvette Grand Sport, Toyota Tundra. Ordering 392...
Nice rig!! Also, one of my favorite colors in the 392 - goes well with the coach! I should have done the bumper thing - I talked to a couple of manufacturers and they said theirs weren't rated for towing - just recovery. So I chickened out and went with Blue Ox (wasted a few $thousand - ouch).

Last summer we joined Harvest Hosts. The wife loves staying overnight at various wineries, and they always seem to have some interesting beer for me. So we alternate between harvest host overnight stays and RV parks. Takes us 3 days to get to trail country without driving too hard.

Do y'all go up to Moab and do trails? We are going back in May...
NO Utah trails yet. Maybe next year. We do belong to the FMCA Four Wheelers chapter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BenderRodriguez

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
Bender from bending state Bender? Wow, you're a legend around here!

Did it seem to tow better when you were flat-towing or trailering it?
Jeep Wrangler JL Bender's 2022 392 Build bender

That's me! Actually, naming the Jeep Bender... Working on hood decals 😂

Towing is about the same and mileage is about the same (terrible!). I have to take corners a bit wider, and I can back up easily with the trailer. I feel like the Jeep is safer in the trailer - plus it stays a lot cleaner.

The downside is that in some RV parks, you have to pull much further forward in the site to keep it out of the road. In either case, it's about the same effort to unload/unhook or load/hook up. But I much prefer it to flat towing.

andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Great looking Jeep! I love wheeling in Colorado and in Moab. It is hard to pick a favorite. There are some good online resources for finding trails. One of the best is Colorado Off Road Trails - FunTreks . I have their Utah and Colorado books, but the same info is available online. Funtreks covers all the big and famous stuff, but I have found I enjoy going to some of the out of the way places too. Colorado Trail Explorer is a state maintained site and is an excellent trail resource. Colorado Trail Explorer (COTREX) . You seem to have a good handle on stuff to do in Moab, but if you want more, the Redrock 4-Wheelers (the club that host the Easter Jeep Safari) publishes a magazine every year (available in print and online - I always get my free copy at the T-Shirt Shop). I like Ouray, CO as a place to stay for my Colorado visits. Ouray is in the center of the San Juans and near to most of the "famous" wheeler rides. Colorado wheeling is different than Moab. The obstacles are generally easier and less frequent, the trails are more up and down, and you go high. I worte a ride report on my 2020 trip to Ouray. It is posted on ADVrider here: Colorado 2020 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

OP
OP
BenderRodriguez

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
Here's our run up Hell's Gate - it's got both the driver's point of view along side of the view from the top.

The 392 runs up it almost effortlessly, as I would imagine any low geared Jeep would do... There's only one point where I had to give it a little more gas - because I stopped right before the tricky part. But it only took a little more pedal.

I'm definitely going to run it again next May - the whole trail is my 2nd favorite so far. We bypassed the tipover challenge and the staircase last time, so next time we will hit those obstacles too.

OP
OP
BenderRodriguez

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
And here's why I'm removing the flat tow bar...

Many clanks just like this one!

Jreycnc

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 3.6/AT JLUR, 21 392
Vehicle Showcase
Those are awesome! What are you using to edit video?
Sponsored