Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
  • Banned
As title says , can front camera be installed after you take ownership as a dealer option or if it's not on your window sticker you are SOL?

Talking about Mopar camera that will integrate seamlessly with the car and not aftermarket
Sponsored

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

As title says , can front camera be installed after you take ownership as a dealer option or if it's not on your window sticker you are SOL?

Talking about Mopar camera that will integrate seamlessly with the car and not aftermarket
As far as I can tell, we’re SOL with the Mopar version. Unless you’re an electrical engineer and can source all of the various parts that will amount to more than you want to spend. I read a lot about the JT guys trying to do this but haven’t seen a success story yet from a JL owner. If you figure anything out, let us know.

This is one of a couple regrets about my order.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon, Jaguar XJL
Occupation
Unemployed
I know many people really want the better quality of the OEM camera setup, but keep in mind that you only need the camera very occasionally, and if you need to see small details, you should probably get out and look. I have a home made version of the Z Automotive system. Sure, an HD camera would be nice, but this one is available now and costs less. It has saved me several trips outside of the Jeep to see what's over the crest of a rise.

OP
OP

Noway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
  • Banned
I know many people really want the better quality of the OEM camera setup, but keep in mind that you only need the camera very occasionally, and if you need to see small details, you should probably get out and look. I have a home made version of the Z Automotive system. Sure, an HD camera would be nice, but this one is available now and costs less. It has saved me several trips outside of the Jeep to see what's over the crest of a rise.
It's not off roading I'm worried about is my petite wife that's going to drive the 392. She has a hard time parking a 2 door sport ...

Sponsored

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
It's not off roading I'm worried about is my petite wife that's going to drive the 392. She has a hard time parking a 2 door sport ...
lol. I have yet to use the trail cam off-road, but I use it daily for parking. Definitely a good addition for that. 😁

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I have been backing in, while parking, for years—

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I looked into this with my wife's new Gladiator. The answer is yes you can add the front factory trail cam!! However, the parts needed are expensive and the installation is mind blowing. Wire harness has to be fed back to a controller behind the seats and then back to the screen. Also, the factory module also has the camera washer squirter that has to be rigged into the washer system. I think I remember that the dealer needs to add it to your vehicle profile...some charge, some don't.

It's easier to add a front camera from the aftermarket (Z-automotive) which would go directly from the front camera to the video panel. However, you don't get the brackets or "camera washer" that comes with the factory set-up.

It's been about a year ago when I researched this but I'm pretty sure the quote for parts and installation was over $1500.

It was surprising to me to watch the facial expressions that the service manager had (good friend of mine)as he was researching the installation in his "secret behind the scenes instructions".

Go for it!