Not open for further replies.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Interesting thread. I have seen a few of the videos they have put out. They have definitely wheeled in some great places. Yea, at times somewhat juvenile, but still some entertaining content. They have garnered a spot in the You Tube entertainment venue.

With that said, anyone getting offended by their 392 thread should really examine why. Just because they don't lavish it with praise should not really surprise one. We all have opinions. Theirs is probably becoming somewhat biased. Henceforth, like was posted earlier, their love of Mopar is trending down while their Ford relationship is increasing. Dollars and cents. The Bronco "train" is about ready to leave the station (actually has been for a while). Plus, like mentioned many times above, not being included in the 392 "celebrity" invite probably caused some hurt feelings.

Anyway, FWIW, which is not much, I am enjoying my 392 more and more everyday.

Sam
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I think it's great they are enjoying life like they are. Doesn't hurt me a bit and I have watched some of their videos. They need the bronco though. Their Jeep is FAR past what almost anyone gets to, it's a wish list of the best of (or at least top tier) everything essentially. Next step for the Jeep will be cutting/replacing the frame or major body mods. There's nothing else left. The Bronco will give them a fresh start, and tons of fresh viewers. Probably worth many thousands in youtube bucks between order and delivery, not to mention they will wheel it day one and get tons more views.

I have heard people say they are both pretty cool in person and the camera persona...is mostly just that.

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
Well... having actually met them I can tell you they are very likable and genuine. Sure, they are chasing the almighty dollar but who isn't/wouldn't! My take on the video is they didn't get an invite from Jeep to test the 392 is for the reason they stated (several times) that they would end up comparing to theirs which is custom tuned for more HP, with a different transmission, with bigger axles, not full time 4WD, etc.. A totally apples to oranges comparison. I've been watching them from the start of their Jeeping and appreciate how they continue to push it, find the weak link, then upgrade. I will NEVER buy the Bronco but am looking forward to Lite Brite beating the $#!T out of it on the trail to see what breaks first then test all the aftermarket upgrades to try to make it better.
WAY too many negative/bitter people on this thread! IMO

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I think it's great they are enjoying life like they are. Doesn't hurt me a bit and I have watched some of their videos. They need the bronco though. Their Jeep is FAR past what almost anyone gets to, it's a wish list of the best of (or at least top tier) everything essentially. Next step for the Jeep will be cutting/replacing the frame or major body mods. There's nothing else left. The Bronco will give them a fresh start, and tons of fresh viewers. Probably worth many thousands in youtube bucks between order and delivery, not to mention they will wheel it day one and get tons more views.

I have heard people say they are both pretty cool in person and the camera persona...is mostly just that.
IMO, their Jeep is not really all that far along. It's got a motor swap, big axles, big tires, and basically bolt on things. The 392 is not that far off and comes with better components in some areas than their build.
I hope they don't give up on their Jeep and start to chase the fast stuff.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
IMO, their Jeep is not really all that far along. It's got a motor swap, big axles, big tires, and basically bolt on things. The 392 is not that far off and comes with better components in some areas than their build.
I hope they don't give up on their Jeep and start to chase the fast stuff.
Not that far? I maybe have very little imagination...but what else can be added?

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Everything you said is on point and i liked it until you put reliability & Jeep in the same sentence lol
i love and owned both mopars and fords but ford is definitely always the reliable one.
I put reliability/warranty together to not imply that Jeep was "reliable" per se. And I wasn't drawing a comparison to Ford reliability. I actually don't have any brand agenda I am trying to push.

My point is that a factory installed engine is not only more cost effective than aftermarket swap but that it is generally going to be much more reliable than the average engine swapped vehicle. And if it breaks down, manufacturer warranty kicks in whereas engine swapped vehicle has none. Great if a swapped and tuned hemi accelerates harder, doesn't have the benefits of factory IMO.

Also, for my own use, I would never buy a 392. Doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The whole horsepower in a Jeep thing is strange, I dream of a Cummins powered JL that accelerates like a horse carriage but that never stops turning and uses fraction of the fuel.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They are under the impression you have to buy the dealer markup 392's starting at $90k as seen in their comments. Meanwhile others and myself are close to $20K less than that OTD.
There is no way you can build for less with all you get.

CV's should be more reliable, stronger, and smoother.

Kevin going on about the transmission just confirms he mostly doesn't know what he is talking about.
The 8HP75 trans is more capable than the 8HP50 by about 150%
The 8HP75 is entirely tunable with ease and is found on some pretty fast shifting cars such as Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Aston Martin DB11, Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2019), Alpina B5 (G30/31), BMW 5 series (G30/G31/F90), BMW X5 M (F85), BMW X6 M (F86), BMW 7 Series (G11/12), BMW X5 (F15), BMW X3 30D (G01). You can slap the paddles for ridiculously fast and smooth shifts.
I went with Peterson, though my price was above what others got, but still under MSRP by a couple grand. I need to ask him about that. And granted, my MSRP was $86k. Even at $2k under MSRP, with taxes and registration I'm ticking past $90k. Dealers here want $30k over MSRP minimum.

Yeah I haven't had an issue wheeling my wife's two door with CV's pretty hard in Moab, but I also haven't shoved larger than 33" tires on it. Then again, I'm not a heavy pedal guy (and rarely run trails where it's required). But overall I haven't seen any data to suggest that CVs are stronger or weaker than u joints. Other than RCVs.

The transmission thing was confusing as hell. It's all in the tuning, his complaints were not valid whatsoever.

Mark D

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Funny she’s not even that hot. She’s skinny, dare I say fit. That’s about it. Most women with a similar frame wearing yoga pants, men will generally find attractive. I know anytime I’m at the gym and a girl walks in with Lulus, who’s also skinny or fit, gets a quick turn of my head and then I just go back to improving myself.
You must go to the gym for a different reason than most.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Not that far? I maybe have very little imagination...but what else can be added?
They could put long travel coil overs and bypass at all 4 corners, trailing arm the rear axle, sell the heavy Dynatrac axles and put some proper lightweight and stronger Fab 10s, twin stick t-case, cutting brakes, roll cage, lower the CG, and a few other things all while not needing to hack it up.
That could be just one direction of a small handful.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put reliability/warranty together to not imply that Jeep was "reliable" per se. And I wasn't drawing a comparison to Ford reliability. I actually don't have any brand agenda I am trying to push.

My point is that a factory installed engine is not only more cost effective than aftermarket swap but that it is generally going to be much more reliable than the average engine swapped vehicle. And if it breaks down, manufacturer warranty kicks in whereas engine swapped vehicle has none. Great if a swapped and tuned hemi accelerates harder, doesn't have the benefits of factory IMO.
Agreed.

1) Warranty

2) Reliability compared to aftermarket swap is higher over the general population of vehicles. There are always exceptions, of course.

3) Limited resale ability -- buyer pool is smaller with an aftermarket engine swap.

4) Limited resale value -- similar to 80/20 rule with options. Since the 392 is a model, with a starting MSRP, you will naturally fetch a higher resale value with the Hemi coming from factory vs aftermarket, $ for $. You are spending the money either way, but the total cost of ownership after exit will be in your favor vs aftermarket.

I'm going to add up the costs, but I see no way for the aftermarket route to rule out if you plan on having a Hemi in your Jeep, and envision selling it, well, ever -- irrespective of what you add to the 392 later, including axle swaps.

I likely won't swap axles unless they break, and plan on running lightweight 39's to wheel it. If it does break, I will put a set of Currie's under there with RCVs up front. But I will retain the transfer case. Either way, I will likely tune it to remove the lazy feeling and add another 50-60 horse. That should give me above 500 hp/tq pretty reliably and be a bit more fun to drive.

Mark D

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
If you want to put 30-40k into a high mileage Jeep good on you buddy. Also, with that expense hopefully you can get that Hemi to roar! However, most of us don't want to or can't afford to put that amount of money into an old or newish jeep. Then after spending and installing the Hemi having to work the bugs out of the engine swap. If I wanted a Hemi I would go factory fresh. If I had the ability to change the engines out and the money I would go with a factory fresh 2021 392 Wrangler. Also, I wouold like to see the LBN move away from the Jeep brand and find a home with Fomoco folks.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I went with Peterson, though my price was above what others got, but still under MSRP by a couple grand. I need to ask him about that. And granted, my MSRP was $86k. Even at $2k under MSRP, with taxes and registration I'm ticking past $90k. Dealers here want $30k over MSRP minimum.

Yeah I haven't had an issue wheeling my wife's two door with CV's pretty hard in Moab, but I also haven't shoved larger than 33" tires on it. Then again, I'm not a heavy pedal guy (and rarely run trails where it's required). But overall I haven't seen any data to suggest that CVs are stronger or weaker than u joints. Other than RCVs.

The transmission thing was confusing as hell. It's all in the tuning, his complaints were not valid whatsoever.
There is a reason the most hardcore 4x4 TT, rock bouncers, etc all use CV's.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a reason the most hardcore 4x4 TT, rock bouncers, etc all use CV's.
IIRC (might be wrong), the big argument against CVs where things like branches, mud, etc. I'd imagine that some folks ran into issues running crappy CVs as well, and while the design is good, a bad part is a bad part.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.