Sponsored

Poll: How do you service your Jeep?

To whom do you turn when your Wrangler needs servicing (routine maintenace or repairs)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 2D, '10 Liberty, '46 Willys
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
I'm a relatively new forum member and I've noticed that there are a lot of posts about maintenance and repairs and along with that are complaints about the quality of service at dealerships. I NEVER go back to the dealer for anything except a recall or unless my local garage can't handle the problem and so far my garage has been able to handle everything. So...how do you handle routine maintenance and repairs?
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm a relatively new forum member and I've noticed that there are a lot of posts about maintenance and repairs and along with that are complaints about the quality of service at dealerships. I NEVER go back to the dealer for anything except a recall or unless my local garage can't handle the problem and so far my garage has been able to handle everything. So...how do you handle routine maintenance and repairs?
Let's say you had an issue with Uconnect under warranty. Or your engine implodes under warranty. You'd still take it to your local garage?

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I know there are umpteen dealer nightmare stories out there and maybe I'll be one of them at some point. But for now I've had pretty good luck *knocks on wood* with my complimentary oil changes and tire rotations. Once they're done I'll have to decide whether to pay up or start doing them myself but while they're still free and seem to be done well, I'll stick with the dealer.

OP
OP
rk911

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
Let's say you had an issue with Uconnect under warranty. Or your engine implodes under warranty. You'd still take it to your local garage?
U-Connect...my garage likely can't deal with that so, yes, reluctantly, I would go to a dealer. But my garage can deal with replacing the engine, assuming the dealer finds a way to refuse to replace under warranty. And if the warranty has expired then my first call is to my garage.

But let's say a water pump or alternator gives up the ghost. I will go to my garage for that even if those repairs are covered. I trust my guys. I don't know and therefore don't trust the dealer's mechanics.

The last time I went to a dealer for a repair or maintenance was back in '03 after I drilled a hole in fhe back of my 2-door TJ to mount an amateur radio. I drilled thru something that shouldn't be drilled thru. The dealer where we bought our JL a year ago gave us a few free oil changes but we won't use them.

Sponsored

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic
I would bring it in under warranty, but that will be gone this time next year. LKQ has motors and I have tools. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic
U-Connect...my garage likely can't deal with that so, yes, reluctantly, I would go to a dealer. But my garage can deal with replacing the engine, assuming the dealer finds a way to refuse to replace under warranty. And if the warranty has expired then my first call is to my garage.

But let's say a water pump or alternator gives up the ghost. I will go to my garage for that even if those repairs are covered. I trust my guys. I don't know and therefore don't trust the dealer's mechanics.

The last time I went to a dealer for a repair or maintenance was back in '03 after I drilled a hole in fhe back of my 2-door TJ to mount an amateur radio. I drilled thru something that shouldn't be drilled thru. The dealer where we bought our JL a year ago gave us a few free oil changes but we won't use them.
You are lucky to have found a competent shop.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think I’m in another category, in that it depends.

If it’s a service like changing fluids then it’s me.

If it’s a replacement part covered under warranty then it’s the dealer.

If it’s an aftermarket part and it’s in my wheel house, then that’s me again.

If it’s an aftermarket component outside of my wheel house it generally doesn’t get approved by CFO of the house?.

Last edited:

autotragic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR 6MT
I bought an extended warranty I intend to use it. But for routine maintenance, oil changes, battery changes stuff like that I'll do myself.

When it comes to keep upgrades I'll do them myself unless they're really complicated and then it turns out that I'm super lucky and have a Jeep shop less than a mile from my house that I didn't know existed when I bought my Jeep. They seem to do decent work and seem to have decent guys working there. I asked them about doing regears and stuff and they actually referred me to another local shop that specializes in that kind of stuff. So they have limits and if you bring them something they'll let you know there's somebody better to take it to which is kind of nice. I'd rather a shop do that than BS me on their capabilities and then screw things up.

So I'm just going to say it depends.

OP
OP
rk911

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
You are lucky to have found a competent shop.
I totally agree!

About a dozen years ago, before we found our shop, my wife took her Liberty to a national chain shop for an oil change and to have a turn signal bulb replaced. I'm at work and fhe phone rings. When I answer all I hear is her angry voice saying..."TALK TO THE MAN!,". The next voice was, apparently, the service writer who is asking permission to...I kid you not...run a "Blinker System Diagnostic" for "just" $29.95. It took a lot of self-control to repress the urge to laugh out loud at that. Instead I just suggested he replace the bulb. That was fhe last time she used that shop. We found our current shop shortly after,

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
Places change over time with staff turnover and new policies and all that. I used to exclusively get routine maintenance and warranties done at my dealer. I even had my other non-jeeps serviced there becuse they were quick, reliable and did a good job for a fairly competitive price.

fast forward a few years and I felt I got poor service, they were not quick, there was aggravation with the service manager and I took my business to a local garage who is doing a great job for me on all my vehicles.

at some point they may change and I will go someplace different. I am loyal to a business until I feel like they don’t do a good job, then I take my business elsewhere. It’s the power of being able to make a decision and get the best value for your money.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer gets the warranty work whose costs justify suppressing apprehensions and they get the recall work to protect NHTSA records but that’s it.

I’m driven by determining root cause and eliminating repeat occurrence whereas shop technicians are (rightfully) more focused on flat rate and payable hours. Just not a fan of whack a mole troubleshooting that is all too common these days.
Sponsored