First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport on 33s w/LSD, 2020 Sahara
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My little chihuahua mix, I pick her up, in spite of her failed efforts to excitedly jump in. As for the three Catahoulas - whenever I open any door in my Jeep, I have to beat them away with a stick to keep them from jumping in. Then again, it’s a large breed that actually CLIMBS TREES after raccoons, etc.

Advertisement

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
We have a 17 week old Newfie and got a Gen7Pets Feather-Lite Ramp. Newfies are huge and prone to hip problems, so he isn't allowed to jump. The ramp is 6 feet long and holds up to 250 lbs. (Dog will be 150-175lb fully grown.) We open the back hatch, put down the ramp, and walk him up or down it.
Used to lift mine up till he turned 10, now I left his front paws on the rear seat and then shove his ass into the back and he's happy. He is pretty agile for a newfy, 130 lb.

-ovh5p5.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara (JLU), Renegade Limited (BU)
I use an old set of hot tub steps to load our Rottie. He's 7 years old and tore his CCL (dog version of the ACL) about 2 years ago. Although he wants to jump in/out I don't think it's a good idea so I make him walk up/down steps like an old dog. He feels so uncool around the other dogs.

Our Corso mix jumps in/out. She's still young and spry. Our Pitt puts his front feet on the bumper and we give him a boost up for his back feet. Our Blue Heeler gets lifted in/out. She's 14 and not able to make such jumps anymore.
Dog steps.jpg

For securing them in the Jeep. I made a tether that I hook the leads through. The lead is clipped to a chest harness when in the Jeep. This is only intended to keep the dogs with the Jeep in the case of a crash, not to keep them inside the vehicle. I don't give them fully open windows. If they ride with the top off I use a short theater anchored to the floor ties but that really restricts their movement and I don't like it. As a result, the dogs don't really get topless rides.
Dog tether.jpg

Regarding the center console issue. The older dogs don't try to come up front. It took a while to train, but it's doable. The Corso is still learning, but she still wants to stand on the console. I made a web to prevent that. Easy to remove with 4 crab claw style clamps. I call it "the dog catcher" because it also serves to keep them from being thrown into front during a crash.
Dog catcher.jpg

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I've tried two different ramps and a set of steps, and Foofy just gets freaked out by all of it. The best I can manage is to get her to put her own front paws up on the seat, and then I give her ass a lift and a shove. Her ass is always wet. I try not to dwell on it.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara (JLU), Renegade Limited (BU)
... Foofy just gets freaked out by all of it. ....
Yeah, my Rott was a bit leery about the steps at first. I found that if I put on my foot on one of the steps he'll use them without coercion.

Advertisement

Winjet

Advertisement