Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My little chihuahua mix, I pick her up, in spite of her failed efforts to excitedly jump in. As for the three Catahoulas - whenever I open any door in my Jeep, I have to beat them away with a stick to keep them from jumping in. Then again, it’s a large breed that actually CLIMBS TREES after raccoons, etc.
Sponsored

MisFiTkEv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport S 2.0l Turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
We have a 17 week old Newfie and got a Gen7Pets Feather-Lite Ramp. Newfies are huge and prone to hip problems, so he isn't allowed to jump. The ramp is 6 feet long and holds up to 250 lbs. (Dog will be 150-175lb fully grown.) We open the back hatch, put down the ramp, and walk him up or down it.
Used to lift mine up till he turned 10, now I left his front paws on the rear seat and then shove his ass into the back and he's happy. He is pretty agile for a newfy, 130 lb.

-ovh5p5.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I use an old set of hot tub steps to load our Rottie. He's 7 years old and tore his CCL (dog version of the ACL) about 2 years ago. Although he wants to jump in/out I don't think it's a good idea so I make him walk up/down steps like an old dog. He feels so uncool around the other dogs.

Our Corso mix jumps in/out. She's still young and spry. Our Pitt puts his front feet on the bumper and we give him a boost up for his back feet. Our Blue Heeler gets lifted in/out. She's 14 and not able to make such jumps anymore.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep Dog steps

For securing them in the Jeep. I made a tether that I hook the leads through. The lead is clipped to a chest harness when in the Jeep. This is only intended to keep the dogs with the Jeep in the case of a crash, not to keep them inside the vehicle. I don't give them fully open windows. If they ride with the top off I use a short theater anchored to the floor ties but that really restricts their movement and I don't like it. As a result, the dogs don't really get topless rides.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep Dog tether

Regarding the center console issue. The older dogs don't try to come up front. It took a while to train, but it's doable. The Corso is still learning, but she still wants to stand on the console. I made a web to prevent that. Easy to remove with 4 crab claw style clamps. I call it "the dog catcher" because it also serves to keep them from being thrown into front during a crash.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep Dog catcher

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I've tried two different ramps and a set of steps, and Foofy just gets freaked out by all of it. The best I can manage is to get her to put her own front paws up on the seat, and then I give her ass a lift and a shove. Her ass is always wet. I try not to dwell on it.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
... Foofy just gets freaked out by all of it. ....
Yeah, my Rott was a bit leery about the steps at first. I found that if I put on my foot on one of the steps he'll use them without coercion.

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
I built a wooden ramp for my dog, and put traction tape on one side; he has no problem with it

superdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport
75 lbs Vizsla/Pit mix jumps in without a second thought.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep PXL_20210403_152018039.MP

N8TVTXN

First Name
Raymona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport; Ordered a 2023 JLUR
Doesn't help if you load your pup via a side door but we just bought this to load our 80# Lab that will jump out but not in the Jeep. Twistep https://twistep.com/collections/frontpage
Uses your hitch receiver, and twists out of the way when not in use, but it doesn't protrude much past the spare tire but we twist it under the Jeep. It will need to be removed(easy enough to do) when we go off-roading but for quick road trips it's been useful.
Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep IMG_8718

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep IMG_8719

Jeep Wrangler JL How do you get your dog into the Jeep IMG_8720

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
No problems here. I have a properly sized dog. 😝

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe
Its a pretty high jump into the back seat for my dog, higher than my old 4x4. She can make it but its not a pleasant site and she does not like it. What do others do?? Ramp of some sort?? Is there an available product?

Also.. She loves putting her paws on the center console and standing at attention. The leather in the console is going to suffer. I have a cloth over it but that does not stay on. Any covers for this??
Yes, I have seen a custom sized cover for the console. Even if I had a dog, I would not let him trash the Jeep. But that's just me. I know some people treat their dogs like spoiled children. 🤔

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
so, in the couple of years since i posted the attached, our J**p has gotten a little taller and our last Dutchie has been approaching 12 yo; nowadays she'll occasionally balk just before jumping in, and i know she's *thinking about it*.
at some point, you don't make an old lady jump unless she wants to.

on those days, she 'takes the elevator' like her older sister did.
with her facing the door, i crouch to one side of her with her between me and a rear door. one forearm crosses her chest and one crosses behind her rear legs, and i drop the front arm after i stand up and she's at the right height to let her walk into the J**p.
she's an ace; knows the routine, trusts me, and relaxes and goes along for the ride.

the sad reality is we're probably only to get to have her around for a couple more years, and hopefully i'll still be able to lift her the rest of her life.

good stuff here, even if old.

our Dutch Shepard girls have always wanted to go anywhere or do anything.

mostly, they'd wait until i point in the rear door and then hop right in. (i generally have the back seats down; the back half of the J**p is Dog Land.)

when wandering, i have a set of Action Packers across the back behind the front seats. they'll still jump right in on top of those from ground level, though they might look at it a little more closely before they do. Dutch Girls are 65-75 lbs, but agile even well into their senior years.

for restraints and crash safety, i measured out a climbing 'runner' (basically nylon webbing sewn into a loop) that i clip onto the overhead grab handles above the rear doors with a couple of carabiners, and found a length of wire cable sized to reach from the runner to their harnesses when they're laying down. one attempt to get out of the J**p with that rig on is the last; after that, they wait to be hooked up and unhooked.
they sometimes like to stand with their heads between ours when we're moving, but generally just nap in the back until we're off the highway.

they're very smart and like to do the Right Thing, and know that getting into the Front Seat isn't allowed.

Reactions: MSD

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
Its a pretty high jump into the back seat for my dog, higher than my old 4x4. She can make it but its not a pleasant site and she does not like it. What do others do?? Ramp of some sort?? Is there an available product?

Also.. She loves putting her paws on the center console and standing at attention. The leather in the console is going to suffer. I have a cloth over it but that does not stay on. Any covers for this??
With my previous dog, I built a ramp for him, as he was older and struggling with arthritis, and was a large breed, at 125 lbs. My current pup is a 1 year old Great Pyrenees mix and jumps in with no problem. Just pick up a thick wooden plank and some traction tape.
Sponsored