Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand about this issue - Jeep decided to use aluminum for the door panels, and then went with steel hinges. Apparently, they never thought to put a barrier between the 2 unlike metals and voila - a galvanic cell. The problem isn't going to stop on its own - you will need to get the problem corrected and then modify a permanent fix or else it will start all over again. I just got my 2018 JLU back from the dealership. They were well aware of the problem and told me that I was covered for 5 years and unlimited mileage under corrosion protection. This issue is going to cost Chrysler (Stellantis) a small fortune in warranty repair costs. Go to your dealers guys - this should be covered! Good luck.
Thanks for the nudge. I just really hate going to the dealership but you are totally right.

Curious though, what exactly is the fix for this? Are they installing a barrier and then repainting? Do you have any before/after pics of what your dealer did?

And finally... how long did they have your Jeep? Sorry not sorry for all the questions ;)

Cheers 🍻
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It should be covered under the 5yr / unlimited mileage corrosion.
There was a long argument in another thread about it.

It's unclear whether Jeep is doing it out of goodwill or under the 3/36, but the corrosion warranty specifically states there must be holes in the panel for the corrosion warranty to apply.

It's all just semantics of course as long as Jeep pays for the repair.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
There was a long argument in another thread about it.

It's unclear whether Jeep is doing it out of goodwill or under the 3/36, but the corrosion warranty specifically states there must be holes in the panel for the corrosion warranty to apply.

It's all just semantics of course as long as Jeep pays for the repair.
I was at 56k miles on my 2018 and Jeep approved it just last week for the corrosion on my doors. I was supposed to have dropped my Wrangler off this morning but I noticed it starting along the edges of my hood so they submitted a second claim. Should know in a few weeks what my new date is to have both claims knocked out.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
1 bubble on 1 hinge. but it hasn't grown in the last 2 years.

not entirely sure it isn't just something in the paint.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have a 2019 wrangler, Hella Yella. Noticed the bubbles last week on two doors, all hinges and hood and it'll cost over 5k to repaint. The problem is, unless these aluminum parts are replaced with steel or maybe coated somehow, this will happen again. On top of that, repainted jeeps lose some value. There's a class action lawsuit regarding this.
I don't think need to worry about a loss in value, as long as the new paint matches, and there isn't over spray. When they fixed my hood, and a couple of hinges, the repaint was better than the factory paint. But, it depends on who does the job I guess.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Working on it :). Of course dealer says maybe you should just trade it in 🤣
Tell them you want an even trade.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, so far, it's right at 62.9% with bubbles in the paint(Galvanic Corrosion). But, considering the number of people on this forum, the voting has been low. I would hope everyone with issues would say something, so those in charge can see there is an issue here, and might do a recall, not just cover it under a limited warranty.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Good to see so many others having paint bubbling corrosion claims paid by Stellantis after 3 years without an issue. We also were told this is covered for 5 years.

It was posted by a potential purchaser that 10 out of 10 used JLs sitting on Dealer lots had paint bubbling corrosion. So he passed on getting one.

To be fair - if anyone still thinks holes are mandatory before Stellantis should pay for corrosion - then please do not file a warranty claim for any paint bubbling you currently have or potentially will get in the future. Leave it at that. Thx.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ssue-under-warranty.88352/page-9#post-1866493

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
To be fair - if anyone still thinks holes are mandatory before Stellantis should pay for corrosion - then please do not file a warranty claim for any paint bubbling you currently have or potentially will get in the future. Leave it at that. Thx.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ssue-under-warranty.88352/page-9#post-1866493
According to the written terms, holes are required.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try as Stellantis may be making repairs as part of a good will campaign.

As I stated, as long as they pick up the tab, it doesn't matter why.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
It certainly did matter to you before.

No need to rehash the corrosion wording again. Just re-read each user post carefully. See why their perspective differs from yours. Your guess was and still is just your opinion. Since you are not Stellantis - you should be happy they pay for corrosion repairs whether for goodwill or under the vague 5 year corrosion warranty.

Continually telling users your opinion that holes are required is not helping matters. Especially when nobody has holes! Plus you have never even submitted a single corrosion claim. Truth is - you actually have no clue what Stellantis may or may not do.

Just let it go and let sleeping dogs lie.

fcnacht1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Thanks for the nudge. I just really hate going to the dealership but you are totally right.

Curious though, what exactly is the fix for this? Are they installing a barrier and then repainting? Do you have any before/after pics of what your dealer did?

And finally... how long did they have your Jeep? Sorry not sorry for all the questions ;)

Cheers 🍻
The dealer body shop is just doing a bandaid repair. I'm not even certain if they painted the whole door or just did a spot repair. I plan to remove my doors and cut a thin rubber gasket to place between the hinge and door after I make sure both surfaces are primed and painted. They had my Jeep a week and a half and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I will try to post some before / after pics.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get nervous(not really), every time I wash the Jeep, and look around the hinges.

Reactions: OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I get nervous(not really), every time I wash the Jeep, and look around the hinges.
Me too.....I've even started aiming a leaf blower at each hinge after washing to remove the water from between the hinge and door.I then spray liquid wax on the hinge.I know this is insanity, but it makes me feel somewhat proactive.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Me too.....I've even started aiming a leaf blower at each hinge after washing to remove the water from between the hinge and door.I then spray liquid wax on the hinge.I know this is insanity, but it makes me feel somewhat proactive.
It's not rust like on a steel body panel, it's galvanic corrosion. When two dissimilar metals touch they react. You can wash and dry all you want and it won't make a difference. My JL is garaged, I wash and wax it regularly including clay barring it at least a couple times a year and I still have the bubbles starting. There needs to be a dielectric between the two metals to prevent the galvanic reaction. It would have been very easy for Jeep to install some type of very thin gasket between the steel hinges and aluminum doors and they never would have had an issue. But, some bean counter probably told them no because it would cost them 35 cents extra per vehicle.
Sponsored