Sponsored

Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I think I have ADD, I can't figure out what he is saying in the video, he said to remove the 2nd battery negitive and then if you want remove the positive?
So do you still remove the negitive from the main battery?
It’s your choice. You can Either remove both grounds, Both positives, or all four. Any of those three will disconnect the circuit. I generally remove both grounds (Because they’re easier to reach) and then wrap them so they don’t accidentally touch together or ground out.
Sponsored

ENadeau

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Awesome thread. Went through half a dozen threads before finding this one. One question regarding bridging the wires in the soundbar when adding a 6.5” speaker; are you simply connecting both the 3.5” and 4” positives and both corresponding negatives? I’ve Googled and found a few diagrams but wanted to check in here. Sorry for the amateur question.

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Yes, that's the wiring plan for the SSV single 6.5". I used the metra 72-7902 speaker-harness. Just pay attention to your polarity. You may need to swap the wires on the metra harness. Don't be fooled by the color of the wire... black may not be negative and white may not be positive.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Because of the recall on my Kicker 10 power sub, I got a return for it, Just ordered the SS works 10 in sub and alpine amp.
If something goes wrong with the SSV setup I will just get a new amp, with the kicker I would have had a brick at twice the price. The SSV inclosure is for life.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200717_173208
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200717_173214
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200717_173229
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200717_173233
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200717_173237

Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Bad image, as Im in the garage with the top on. I will get another few images once I get the top back off and am outside with good lighting. Basically I leveraged the seat bars and built a grid around them to hold the box from moving back and forth, and then added the 3"x4" right angle alum to the box and mounted it at the 2 hard top bolts... Similar to other box designs I have seen... Let me know what you want photos of and I will provide :)

With the amp installed (from this thread for the speakers), and the sub box and additional amp for that, this system is the best sounding system Ive ever had, and Ive been a garage sound nut since I was back in highschool, lets just say the 80s.

LanceM

Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200720_133725

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Alright peoples, I finally got my Alpine PWD-x5 installed, and I gotta say it is really impressive. If you want an all-in-one easy clean solution, look this unit up. It definitely exceeded my expectations, though of course opinions vary, but I highly recommend checking it out...sorry having problems uploading image, I had it installed where Alpine sub usually is behind right passenger seat, fits perfect...
I installed a PWD-X5 in my son's car last weekend- it is a very nice all-in-one solution. I especially like the ability to tune each channel (for crossover, equalizer, etc.). It really allowed us to dial in the audio in his Veloster.
Awesome thread. Went through half a dozen threads before finding this one. One question regarding bridging the wires in the soundbar when adding a 6.5” speaker; are you simply connecting both the 3.5” and 4” positives and both corresponding negatives? I’ve Googled and found a few diagrams but wanted to check in here. Sorry for the amateur question.
Yep, tie the positives together and the negatives together, and voila!

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the best laid plans of men and mice go astray, as did my plan to use the SSv works 10 sub.
I have the gap hider for my dogs and nobody knew if the SSV would fit, well it dosen't, the foot of the enclosure bolts on the back seat bolt, so does the gap hider, the bend is to high for the gap hider.
The gap hider is a pain to remove once installed.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Well the best laid plans of men and mice go astray, as did my plan to use the SSv works 10 sub.
I have the gap hider for my dogs and nobody knew if the SSV would fit, well it dosen't, the foot of the enclosure bolts on the back seat bolt, so does the gap hider, the bend is to high for the gap hider.
The gap hider is a pain to remove once installed.
I just saw this and I’m curious how hard it would be to replicate?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cargo-tub-subwoofer-project.47758/

Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Ive never had a knack for working with fiberglass... So hard for me... Building a wooden box is easier for me... So its all based on your skill level.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has noticed (positively :giggle: ) the vibrations caused by my under-the-passenger-seat mounted subwoofer as well.

Well, I finally decided to upgrade the last remaining factory speakers in my Jeep- the knee panel speakers (thanks for shaming me into it, @Volbut32 :)). I have determined the knee speaker pods must be a structural element for the JL, because you have to remove just about the entire interior and a couple dozen screws and bolts to get to them!

However, comparing the stock speaker to the Focal 6.5" speakers, I'm encouraged the result will be better sound.
f0859ac188950bea05733285d6688229a66446af.jpg

Here is a comparison of the stock vs. the Metra speaker pods. The pod was a direct fit.
4480d82f2cd74a5be437947ccf231429cc45443f.jpg

I managed to get the driver's speaker in- I'm going to tackle the passenger speaker tomorrow. AND, while I'm at it I went ahead and ordered a new T-Harness and Main Harness (to replace the homemade one I created when I started this thread. I'll probably move the KTP under the seat next to my subwoofer.
Here is the driver's speaker in place...
878a92be17eb9c666bf86f40294936f1207cb35b.jpg

For sure this time, once the knee panel speakers are in I am DONE with my audio system. I'll have a total of four 6.5" speakers (knee and soundbar), two 4" (up in the dash), and the 8" powered subwoofer.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Varilux are the stock front speakers enclosures ported? It look like it in your pictures.

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Varilux are the stock front speakers enclosures ported? It look like it in your pictures.
Yes they are. I was surprised the factory pods were ported (the factory speaker is a midrange component- I guess they were trying to get as much as they could out of a small speaker). The factory soundbar enclosure is ported as well- probably for the same reason.

The Metra pods are not ported, and I made efforts to seal them up pretty tight. Being a considerably larger coaxial with a tweeter, I figured they would benefit from a tightly sealed enclosure to give more clarity to the sound- and I'm happy with the result.

I was a bit concerned there might be a crossover somewhere in the factory wiring- given there is no tweeter in the factory speaker. However, I can definitely confirm the tweeter in the Focal 6.5 speaker is producing very nice high end. Even more surprisingly those tweeters really improve the front staging of the sound (I almost bought component speakers, because high end is very directional, and the speakers actually point ever so slightly downward). I was able to dial down the treble a bit, and my system no longer sounds bass heavy.

The knee panel swap isn't terribly difficult- there's just a LOT of screws to remove (I will say, however, that I appreciate that Jeep uses the same screw for just about every interior component- makes things much easier). This kind of project is where Crutchfield really shines- their Master Build Sheet for the JL is spot on and tells you where every screw and clip is going to be. [Added note: At least with the Focal speakers, you have to clip off the tabs that extend into the opening of the Metra pods- I think those tabs are for mounting speakers smaller than 6.5". I had a moment of concern when the speakers didn't initially sit flush down into the pods.]

While I was in there, I ripped out my original T-Harness and homemade Main Harness. I should have just waited for the main harness to come off backorder to begin with! It is so much cleaner, AND I must have screwed up one of the sub channels in my homemade harness, because now my sub is obviously seeing both channels (sounds noticeably better). I went ahead and also ordered the sub harness, and this time it really was plug and play. I also moved the KTP-445U under the passenger seat next to my powered sub, and ran the power and ground off my sub wiring.

I now have no factory speakers remaining.
Top Dash - 4" Mopar 77KICK25AB speakers
Soundbar - 6.5" SSV coaxials
Knee Panel - 6.5" Focal coaxials
Subwoofer - 8" Sound Ordinance

Not counting ordering the harnesses twice, I have $867.50 invested and 8 hours or so of labor, and my Jeep sounds awesome. The only additional things I could ever see doing to my system would be if Alpine came out with a DSP module for their KTP-445U, or if there was some way to run video to the radio screen. Oh, and at some point if I ever find a deal on an 8.5" head unit... However, I am basically done with audio at this point!
Sponsored

Last edited: