First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I was just getting ready to ask how you are doing?

I was pretty stressed when this happened to me.
Congrats. Totally get the stress ball factor. Glad you worked it out. And didnt have to drill, cut or plasma torch anything.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations! Glad to hear it all worked out. The Ace Sliders (and their service) are top notch!

Slim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2003 Mazda Miata, 1995 Ford Bronco
@Brad41
Congrats on getting it done. It gives me hope. My sliders are due to arrive next week.

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Congratulations! Glad to hear it all worked out. The Ace Sliders (and their service) are top notch!
Thanks! And Agree- aj reached out almost immediately after I e-mailed and spoke with me. They seem to care about their customers and their satisfaction with their products.

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
@Brad41
Congrats on getting it done. It gives me hope. My sliders are due to arrive next week.
Thanks, and I hope the install goes smoothly! After reading the tips and pointers here, I thought I was taking it pretty easy on these bolts. If I could go back and have a do-over, I think I would have waited even longer before reaching for that impact. (Especially the very back bolts)

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Nice job! They look great and I love mine. AJ is a person who designs, and installs their product. He knows exactly what needs to be done if there are any issues.
I’ve used mine several times just to clean the smut off the windshield instead of the milkcrate or ladder
BIG plus is that after a while you will notice different color marks on them, The result from other people banging their doors into them. Better on the rails then the paint

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
Hey @ACE Engineering, any chance you guys could post some basic pointers for installing these, particularly related to bolt removal?
I know there's probably some issue re liability etc but some basic info and warnings would be very useful judging by all the posts on here.

Took delivery of mine yesterday btw and getting emotionally prepared to put them on :)

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @ACE Engineering, any chance you guys could post some basic pointers for installing these, particularly related to bolt removal?
I know there's probably some issue re liability etc but some basic info and warnings would be very useful judging by all the posts on here.

Took delivery of mine yesterday btw and getting emotionally prepared to put them on :)
LOL! It's really not that bad. There's another post here that covers all you need to know. These are Chassis-grade bolts, so having a cheater bar or large torque wrench is all you need.

The most difficult part is keeping downward pressure on each bolt after you break it loose.

TIP: Keep a high torque drill handy, and use it to remove the lighter bolts (fronts) to save your energy for the tough ones.

It's a 40 minute project, but take a short break in between the two bars to let your forearms and shoulders recover!

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
They have a video on their site and also on YouTube

Slim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2003 Mazda Miata, 1995 Ford Bronco
They have a video on their site and also on YouTube
The only video I have seen is for a slider installation on a 2011 JK. If it were only that easy as shown in that video. Is there a video for a JL I am missing?

There is no mention of avoiding breaking bolts, bolt torque specs, thread lock issues, captured nuts coming loose, prying on the bolts while loosening, pressing on bolts while getting the bolt threaded on install, etc. Yes, there are only 6 bolts for a JLU but it can't be that trivial based on all the problems that have been experienced by folks that have no doubt loosened many a bolt. Just saying...

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I installed mine, quite a while ago and never knew there was an issue. After using 24 " breaker bar and crow bar for downward pressure I got it done. At several points I said damn something is going to break. Miraculously nothing broke. If I knew then what I know now, I would have have gone with weld on versions. I now do not have confidence in the body bolts (sliders are great) my third set actually. These body mount bolts are a bad place to have to work on with blind captive nuts. I even considered pulling the seat and purchasing the rubber plugs used in the floor pan then cutting holes in the floor over the nuts so I could change out to real bolts with lock washers and grade 8 hardware. drilling two adjacent holes in the pan and then grinding the points to make a smooth oval hole is no big deal. install the bolts then paint the edges, stuff in the rubber plugs, done. Something i could have confidence in.

Time will tell, If I even suspect these bolts shifting or worse snapping off you can bet I will go the retrofit to good hardware route.
We brutalized the other sets of these sliders and they performed fantastic. I'm not letting the mount bolts ruin that at this point.

Gill

First Name
Gill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80,84,85 CJ. 83 Scrambler 2912 JKU 2018 JL Rubicon (ordered)
Installed these on my 2018 JL Rubicon 2 door. Bolts came out hard like they had locktite on them. Took a little muscle but they went on fine and fit well. No rattles or squeaks and I am very happy with my Ace Rock Rails.
Sponsored