Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Hey everybody,

Installing sliders from ace @ACE Engineering, and followed all the pointers I could find here (breaker bar, Downward force, etc) and got all the body bolts off except the passenger rear. It’s hung up there like the nut loosened off the body mount at the top. I pulled the carpet/trim back, and see no way to access the nut from above. Any advice?

8D57612A-7BCC-4F6B-9283-3888C5207839.jpeg
1CC483F3-D3A2-4F66-B01A-FE103F4CE4EF.jpeg

Pics:
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I used a prybar and pulled down on the washer and an electric impact gun to loosen the nut. You also have to be aware the nut can move inside after this happens. Hope your on level ground. Mine moved and I had to fish it with a hook, center it and with the reinstall start at the front then on the rear here start threading by hand and push up to get the impact gun to tighten it.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I used pry bar to pop mine down - the ones that unscrewed easily. The one that would not unscrew or budge in anyway - snapped. uh oh. not good. $$$ later.

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Thanks for the help, downward force finally got it. Now, we’re trying to fish the nut that’s moving in the middle mount, drivers side. Any advice or technique for getting it to thread?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Thanks for the help, downward force finally got it. Now, we’re trying to fish the nut that’s moving in the middle mount, drivers side. Any advice or technique for getting it to thread?
I used an angled poker that came with a soldering tool set and a flash light. Lined up the nut with the hole.

As said earlier lightly secured the slider with the other bolts and gently started threading it by hand pushed up the nut so it was secured from above. Kept hand threading until I was sure it’s not cross threaded. Then use impact gun to tighten. Tightened remaining bolts and torqued it down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I used an angled poker that came with a soldering tool set and a flash light. Lined up the nut with the hole.

As said earlier lightly secured the slider with the other bolts and gently started threading it by hand pushed up the nut so it was secured from above. Kept hand threading until I was sure it’s not cross threaded. Then use impact gun to tighten. Tightened remaining bolts and torqued it down.
Well, we got it all except for the passenger side back bolt. The nut has disappeared into the abyss, and no magnet or hook can find it. I have no options left. The body bolt has nothing to screw into. Maybe I can alternatively use a swedge type bolt to replace it? @ACE Engineering

12A1DCF7-5701-4EB9-8F7C-D864FDD1F2F7.jpeg

Slim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2003 Mazda Miata, 1995 Ford Bronco
Well, we got it all except for the passenger side back bolt. The nut has disappeared into the abyss, and no magnet or hook can find it. I have no options left. The body bolt has nothing to screw into. Maybe I can alternatively use a swedge type bolt to replace it? @ACE Engineering

12A1DCF7-5701-4EB9-8F7C-D864FDD1F2F7.jpeg
That sucks. I have read in another thread where a dealer mechanic came in from above, after making a hole in the floor, to remove a broken bolt. Maybe you can do the same to get the nut back on?

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I wish there was access from above, but after removing the floor mat and carpet, there’s no access. I really have no idea. I can tell you that after this, it was pretty clear those body bolts were not designed to be removed unless abosutely necessary. If I had a do-over, I would not go this route again.

So, now I have a new Jeep up on a lift and am driving something else until this can be figured out. I’ll stop whining. sorry, been a rough day, lol.

I wonder what the dealership would charge to make this right... if I didn’t have a warranty to worry about, I would probably already be cutting a small access hole or slot to get at that nut.

4A015F04-19D5-46B6-92B4-C34CE10E9AC1.jpeg

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
That sucks. I have read in another thread where a dealer mechanic came in from above, after making a hole in the floor, to remove a broken bolt. Maybe you can do the same to get the nut back on?
I re-read your reply, sorry. So, they cut the floor pan above the mount? Man, that would be a tough pill to swallow if it came to that.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What about taking a rubber mallet to the frame around that area to see if you can jar the nut loose, listening for any vibration. I'd bet the nut just got wedged in there somewhere.

I have a USB Camera that fits in tight spaces like that. Got it on Amazon and it works on my phone/tablet/laptop. Know anyone around you that may have one? I do think the rubber mallet approach may work. Just don't get angry and hit something you shouldn't! Best of luck, wish we could help more.

Sponsored

Slim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2003 Mazda Miata, 1995 Ford Bronco
What about taking a rubber mallet to the frame around that area to see if you can jar the nut loose, listening for any vibration. I'd bet the nut just got wedged in there somewhere.

I have a USB Camera that fits in tight spaces like that. Got it on Amazon and it works on my phone/tablet/laptop. Know anyone around you that may have one? I do think the rubber mallet approach may work. Just don't get angry and hit something you shouldn't! Best of luck, wish we could help more.
Good ideas.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR

I have a USB Camera that fits in tight spaces like that. Got it on Amazon and it works on my phone/tablet/laptop. Know anyone around you that may have one? I do think the rubber mallet approach may work. Just don't get angry and hit something you shouldn't! Best of luck, wish we could help more
I agree, thank you. I’ll see if I can make it rattle, and ask around for a camera

It’s in there take a brake get a beer and try again later. That’s what I wound up doing. I may have even drove it around in between.

OP
OP
Brad41

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
It’s in there take a brake get a beer and try again later. That’s what I wound up doing. I may have even drove it around in between.
I hope so. One piece of info I left out was that it was so difficult to remove that one in the first place, so we had to eventually go up to a 3/4 inch impact to remove the bolt. Maybe we obliterated the nut. I’ll add when we were trying to find the nut by shining the pen light up in the hole, we noticed some yellow insulation in there, which we did not see with any of the other mounts. Not sure what that’s about.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I hope so. One piece of info I left out was that it was so difficult to remove that one in the first place, so we had to eventually go up to a 3/4 inch impact to remove the bolt. Maybe we obliterated the nut. I’ll add when we were trying to find the nut by shining the pen light up in the hole, we noticed some yellow insulation in there, which we did not see with any of the other mounts. Not sure what that’s about.

I saw that insulation too, mine was the rear bolt as well that this happened to.
Sponsored