Advice on installing rock sliders

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I am going to install rock sliders on my JL 2 door. I know that people have had a lot of issues with broken front body mount bolts. I would like input from someone who removed their body bolts without any issues. How did you remove the bolts? My guess is that using an impact wrench would be the way to do it safest--Less sideways torque than a breaker bar would introduce.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I am going to install rock sliders on my JL 2 door. I know that people have had a lot of issues with broken front body mount bolts. I would like input from someone who removed their body bolts without any issues. How did you remove the bolts? My guess is that using an impact wrench would be the way to do it safest--Less sideways torque than a breaker bar would introduce.
Which ones are you going with? Ace? Roam has their two doors out finally and they don’t require removing the body bolts. Either way you go, depending on where you’re located, you’re welcome to come out to the shop and we can put it on the lift. Makes it much easier and gets you off the ground

For the two doors, I haven’t heard of any nightmares yet for the body bolts though. I think an impact would be the way to go as a lot of guys tend to add some side load to a breaker bar trying to keep it perpendicular to the bolt head. Not saying all the time but I wonder how many times that’s the case

Brett

OP
OP

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Which ones are you going with? Ace? Roam has their two doors out finally and they don’t require removing the body bolts. Either way you go, depending on where you’re located, you’re welcome to come out to the shop and we can put it on the lift. Makes it much easier and gets you off the ground

For the two doors, I haven’t heard of any nightmares yet for the body bolts though. I think an impact would be the way to go as a lot of guys tend to add some side load to a breaker bar trying to keep it perpendicular to the bolt head. Not saying all the time but I wonder how many times that’s the case

Brett
I’m going with barricade rock sliders. I agree with impact wrench not putting lateral load.

OP
OP

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I’m installing them after work today. Usually I would use a breaker bar, but I’m rolling with my impact wrench today. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I just installed my Rock Hard sliders yesterday.

Impact gun: out a full turn, then back in a half turn and repeat. I could see and feel the gun struggling when it would start to bind.

This is only for the front bolts. My rear bolts just zipped right out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I just installed my Rock Hard sliders yesterday.

Impact gun: out a full turn, then back in a half turn and repeat. I could see and feel the gun struggling when it would start to bind.

This is only for the front bolts. My rear bolts just zipped right out.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I didn’t even think about doing that!