Please Explain... Mopar Swing Gate Reinforcement

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It doesn't do anything to the hinges. It just adds more weight to the brackets--but does not touch or do anything to the hinges. Which I find curious...
There’s an unproven assumption that the hinges are a weak point. I’m not sure why people believe this and then turn around to suggest hinge based carriers. The few on the market mount to the exact same body points as the factory hinges. Have people actually bent the *hinges* on the tailgate?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
There’s an unproven assumption that the hinges are a weak point. I’m not sure why people believe this and then turn around to suggest hinge based carriers. The few on the market mount to the exact same body points as the factory hinges. Have people actually bent the *hinges* on the tailgate?
That's true. There is an assumption about the hinges. But then the hinges are supporting the entire weight of the tailgate, spare tire and all the hardware... So it's easy to assume that if there is a reinforcement to be made, it should be to the hinges since they are really holding it all together.

I am starting to think that this "reinforcement" thing is just a racket... :)

WvJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I don’t think its really designed to improve/strengthen the hinges. I think it’s purpose is to stop the twisting force between the hinges and the tire mount so that you don’t flex or damage the sheet metal between the mount and hinges.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Would a 35 inch tire be fine on the stock tailgate system? I've heard on youtube from jeep reps it would be but I just want to make sure

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Would a 35 inch tire be fine on the stock tailgate system? I've heard on youtube from jeep reps it would be but I just want to make sure
Yes if you brace the tire with extenders so it doesn’t wobble. My tailgate is fine but think the tire resting on the bumper has pushed it out of alignment? If that is even possible. Maybe someone hit me when parked

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think its really designed to improve/strengthen the hinges. I think it’s purpose is to stop the twisting force between the hinges and the tire mount so that you don’t flex or damage the sheet metal between the mount and hinges.
That sounds like the most logical answer. Would the twisting only occur when the tailgate is open or both when open and closed?

WvJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
That sounds like the most logical answer. Would the twisting only occur when the tailgate is open or both when open and closed?
I would think both, with the most twisting force being applied during general wheeling and bouncing of the vehicle. Think of it as holding a weight straight out from your body and bouncing up and down. Your shoulder, or in this case the sheet metal around the tire mount is the weak point. In my opinion the door is no stronger in the latched position. If anything the latch acts a center pivot point on the left side for the door to twist on.

I purchased mine for this reason. With the mopar mount installed, if I experience any sagging or misaiglinment in the future I can almost guarantee that it will be from the bushings in the hinge wearing out because now the tailgate is too rigid to twist. Which is a quick and cheap fix that I can do myself. Versus a tweaked tailgate that needs to be taken to a professional.

I am by no means an expert at this stuff. This is just how it seems to function best to me.

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
It is a Mopar Swing Gate Reinforcement. No where does it say that it is a Swing Gate Hinge Reinforcement. This item was designed to reinforce the crappy metal that is used to skin the swing gate that an oversize tire may damage due to movement while under power, off-roading, and just plain old opening and closing of the swing gate.

Now is it worth it? I think so for that very reason. I don't want to have to worry about hanging a 37" tire with aftermarket rims on my tailgate and then having a warranty claim for damaged door skin be denied due to not upgrading to the kit and excessive weight on the gate. The only issue I have with the kit is that you have to buy the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Modification Kit also. It should come as one seeing as how it it is required for both to be able to use one or the other. Just BS if you ask me.

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-swing-gate-hinge-reinforcement-p-8357.html

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
This takes the weight/strain TOTALLY OFF THE TAILGATE/HINGES/SPARE MOUNT--cheap

SUNP0238_zpsccrjbuit.jpg

SUNP0237_zps4krkvqzy.jpg

It's a tapered shim--free, cause I had it--

W.E.

JIMBO

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It moves some of the weight to the hinges and off of the sheet metal in the middle of the tailgate. It’s not the most awesome thing ever, but it is an improvement over stock.
All the Mopar reinforcement really does is take some the weight of the spare and transfers it directly to hinges. It makes the whole system more rigid. That way there is less stress on the tailgate itself.
Bah. No, it doesn't. Adding more metal to the tailgate itself doesn't magically move the weight around. I've argued this before and I'll argue it again. This product is USELESS. It does not make the tailgate stronger. It does not make the hinges stronger. It does not take any stress or weight off either the tailgate or the hinges.

If you want to transfer the weight off the tailgate, then you need to transfer it completely off. The solution is to have the tire carrier connect to stronger replacement hinges AT THE TUB, just like the Teraflex Hinged Carrier did for the JK.

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@nbtchicago, @Spank; here is a very basic diagram of the forces. As stated by others, the reinforcement isn’t for the hinges. It’s for the gate itself. It keeps a heavier wheel and tire from bending the swing gate. And spank is right, it doesn’t take stress off of the hinges...and I don’t believe it’s advertised to. However, the bracket is made to be super stiff in order to resist the forces generated by the mass of the tire. By being less flexible than the swing gate and connected to the hinges, it takes stress off of the swing gate. Kind of like how a dual rate spring has one rate to handle normal forces and a stiffer rate to handle what the softer rate can’t. The process is just kind of reversed for the reinforcement bracket. Think of it this way, if you have a flat piece of metal laid flat between two saw horses and push down, it bends easily. Now if you take a piece of angle iron, lay one side flat and push down, even a lesser gauge is harder to bend because the vertical side of the angle iron resists the vertical forces better than the flat side. As I stated earlier, it’s not an ideal solution as you still have the weight on the hinges as spank pointed out. This is why I said that IMHO, for the price (assuming you are planning to replace the bumper) it’s a much better option to buy a bumper with a built in tire carrier. Also...please excuse my bad handwriting...I’m an engineer...not a writer. OP...I hope I have answered your question and helped you make an informed decision.

7FAF21EA-6D17-4ECA-BA00-ABF2BE36B48C.jpeg

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
It doesn't do anything to the hinges. It just adds more weight to the brackets--but does not touch or do anything to the hinges. Which I find curious...
Just like adding an extra joist under the floor of a deck stiffens the flooring, adding an extra layer to the ribs reinforces the tailgate itself. It's not about making the hinges stronger, it's a tailgate reinforcement.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Aren't the hinges made of magnesium? If so, I'm assuming that's maybe why the reenforcement is needed for the aluminum gate.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@GreyFox; not entirely sure about the hinges, but I believe the structure of the swing gate is magnesium and the outer skin is aluminum...I may have read that wrong and I’ve slept since then. Lol!

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is a Mopar Swing Gate Reinforcement. No where does it say that it is a Swing Gate Hinge Reinforcement. This item was designed to reinforce the crappy metal that is used to skin the swing gate that an oversize tire may damage due to movement while under power, off-roading, and just plain old opening and closing of the swing gate.

Now is it worth it? I think so for that very reason. I don't want to have to worry about hanging a 37" tire with aftermarket rims on my tailgate and then having a warranty claim for damaged door skin be denied due to not upgrading to the kit and excessive weight on the gate. The only issue I have with the kit is that you have to buy the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Modification Kit also. It should come as one seeing as how it it is required for both to be able to use one or the other. Just BS if you ask me.

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-swing-gate-hinge-reinforcement-p-8357.html
This bothered me too. Youbuy the swing gate reinforcement and you can install it without the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Kit, but the instructions say if you are going to mount a tire larger than the stock tire that you must additionally install the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Kit. My first thought was that this was for clearances at the bumper and the extended bumpers, but I bet they are relying on the overly expensive metal brackets to provide additional stiffness and support to the tire carrier as well. Seems Mopar designed them to rely on each other in order to mount a heavier tire, yet they don't get sold as a package. That and the cost of these things is maddening.

I ordered the reinforcement from the factory and added the oversize kit myself. Getting it from the factory and paying below invoice helped on the cost. Still not sure any of it is worth it, but it has functioned fine for me so far but its only been a month!
Sponsored