First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I feel like if you really want to deflurbinate, then you might want to decouple the chronitron dorsal impulse valve from the tachyon dilitlhium injector port. That way the microfilament slammer could help with depolarizing the tellurium neogenic filament core.
Excellent point. I forgot about the microfilament slammer.
Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my JLUR with the Mopar reinforcement. I understand what it is and what it is supposed to do. I have not bought the Mopar spare tire mount as Iā€™m waiting to see what the offering from Teraflex will be. My reasoning is the Mopar mount doesnā€™t seem to be adjustable. The Teraflex seems promising, but thereā€™s very little info on it except for a video from SEMA. Paired together these may prove to be a viable option as I donā€™t want a bumper mounted carrier due to limited space in the garage. Seriously, I only have about 6 inches to play with so this affects my front bumper and spare tire carrier choices.

B209C6FC-9AB0-4AD0-A1A6-FD0F8102192F.jpeg

994D7B68-1E10-48CF-B1FF-82714D720D8E.jpeg

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have both Mopar pieces, and they work great....to an extent.

The reinforcement plate helps distribute the weight of the spare over a broader area, essentially utilizing the whole gate instead of the very center (which is also reinforced btw). I had the Smitty bracket and the RC bracket, and both still allowed for too much movement (wobble) for my taste. I have -12mm offset wheels with 37's so the weight is stuck out a little further.

The riser part does exactly that, gets the tire up away from hitting the bumper. I only am using the riser pieces, not the spacers that come with the kit, to keep my spare as close to the gate as I can, this helps negate the negative offset wheels.

The two pieces together have worked the best for me, it has stopped almost all (~90%) of the vibrations that the other brackets caused. Only flaw for me is that there is still a tiny bit of sag on the gate from the weight of my combo, which is seen at the door striker latch area. The body lines of the gate and the tub don't line up exactly (the top part of the gate sticks out maybe a 1/16" of an inch different than the tub)

I will post a pic or two shortly to show the sag.

I've had this on for around 5k miles now, and really can't complain.......price kinda sucked though
If it's already sagging at 5k miles imagine what it's gonna look like in a few years.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s a new offering from RedRock... on extreme terrain parts. $80 seems very reasonable... and that might even give a good mounting place for a jerry can.

17425C56-A749-4B97-BE3F-7D44221209FD.jpeg

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I ordered my JLUR with the Mopar reinforcement. I understand what it is and what it is supposed to do. I have not bought the Mopar spare tire mount as Iā€™m waiting to see what the offering from Teraflex will be. My reasoning is the Mopar mount doesnā€™t seem to be adjustable. The Teraflex seems promising, but thereā€™s very little info on it except for a video from SEMA. Paired together these may prove to be a viable option as I donā€™t want a bumper mounted carrier due to limited space in the garage. Seriously, I only have about 6 inches to play with so this affects my front bumper and spare tire carrier choices.

B209C6FC-9AB0-4AD0-A1A6-FD0F8102192F.jpeg

994D7B68-1E10-48CF-B1FF-82714D720D8E.jpeg
We are going to have the TeraFlex adjustable tire carrier mount that was debuted at SEMA available at some point next month. (February 2019). It will bolt up to the Mopar tail gate reinforcement. It is fully adjustable, comes with quick release third brake light mount and a 6042 aluminum extended HD backup camera mount so that those big spare tires wont block your view.

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
We are going to have the TeraFlex adjustable tire carrier mount that was debuted at SEMA available at some point next month. (February 2019). It will bolt up to the Mopar tail gate reinforcement. It is fully adjustable, comes with quick release third brake light mount and a 6042 aluminum extended HD backup camera mount so that those big spare tires wont block your view.
Pretty sure TF is getting my money for this. Any changes from what we saw at SEMA? I ran the original (meaning TF did the R&D and released the first hinged carrier solution for the JK) TF hinged carrier on two different JKs. TF knows this stuff.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! Iā€™ll be looking for it.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Pretty sure TF is getting my money for this. Any changes from what we saw at SEMA? I ran the original (meaning TF did the R&D and released the first hinged carrier solution for the JK) TF hinged carrier on two different JKs. TF knows this stuff.
If there are any changes, they are not big. Just small tweaks. It will work with the factory tail gate, the Mopar plate is not required. It just also works with it as well, in case some of you guys have the Mopar plate and like it.

4447E5AB-92C9-4F19-9A57-6475938893D1.jpeg

w.wood

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
I would like to refute the negative comments about the Mopar kit and reinforce what TA1ton said.
The Mopar kit works great even with heavy 37s assuming it is installed properly which is super easy.

We have the kit on our JLUR with Cooper STT Pro 37x12.50R17s on KMC wheels with 4.53" backspace which makes the tires stick out quite a bit. This kit holds the tire and wheel dead solid, I see zero movement or vibration during our normal daily driving going over all sorts of bumps and road conditions at low or high speed. Plus the kit accommodates the factory backup camera and third brake light perfectly and allows the tire to be removed and replaced without removing any annoying wheel mounted solutions for the license plate or backup camera. The kit looks great and allows one handed easy access to the tailgate. In short the Mopar kit is virtually perfect and I am super picky about mods to our Jeep and if this kit was flimsy or annoying in any way I would rip it off and buy something better.

Many posts completely misinterpret the mechanics involved:

First, the factory hinges are plenty strong enough to handle the weight of a 37" tire and wheel. They do not need any reinforcement. Our tailgate opens and closes perfectly, swings in/out smoothly and easily. There is zero sag or misalignment of the tailgate. If anybody has sag they need to install the kit properly. Note that Jeep sells a storage kit that mounts on the inside of the JL tailgate with an 85lb weight capacity! Meaning the factory tailgate can hold an additional 85lbs on top of the factory spare tire and wheel. When you remove the factory spare and replace it with a 37" spare you are no where near 85lbs extra. I forget the exact amount but our 37" spare only weighs about 25-30lbs more than the factory spare. There is definitely plenty of support built into the factory hinges.

Second, the Mopar kit consists of 2 new parts and reuses the factory spare mounting assembly (including the backup camera and third tail light parts). The new parts are the big reinforcement plate and the spare tire mount relocation brackets. The reinforcement plate goes on first and bolts onto the factory hinges and the tailgate. The relocation brackets go on on second and bolt onto the reinforcement plate and the tailgate. The relocation brackets raise the tire mount up about 2" so the tire clears the factory bumper. Then the factory spare tire mount assembly bolts on top of those 2 kits. In other words you remove the factory spare tire bracket assembly, install the reinforcement plate and the relocation brackets then re-install the factory spare assembly on top of the 2 kit parts. Note the relocation bracket kit comes with 2 adjustable foam bump stops which are critical to the operation of the kits and prevent the tire from wiggling and vibration.

Third, the main purpose of the 2 kits is to stiffen the tailgate so the heavier tire does not bend the tailgate sheetmetal due to flex or vibration during operation. If a big heavy tire hanging off the back of the tailgate wiggles around from bumps and rough roads it will eventually bend or crease the tailgate sheetmetal, not because the hinges are to too weak to carry the weight but because thin sheetmetal will bend if it is not thick enough and stiff enough to handle the wiggles.

So the reinforcement plate and relocation brackets act like stiffeners for the tailgate sheetmetal. You might say they are similar to big washers. Imagine a 2 foot square of semi flexible sheetmetal. Drill a 1/4" hole in the middle and install a long bolt and nut in the hole. Grab the long end of the bolt and you can now wiggle it back and forth easily. Not good! Ok now bolt a 1 foot square 1/4" thick sheet of solid steel on top of the thin sheetmetal using 6-8 bolts. Now grab the long end of the bolt in the middle and try to wiggle it. It will now be solid because the stiffener plate makes the thin sheetmetal stiff enough to prevent wiggling.

I paid $710 for the 2 Mopar kits from Amazon. Not cheap but they work perfect and look great.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I would like to refute the negative comments about the Mopar kit and reinforce what TA1ton said.
The Mopar kit works great even with heavy 37s assuming it is installed properly which is super easy.

We have the kit on our JLUR with Cooper STT Pro 37x12.50R17s on KMC wheels with 4.53" backspace which makes the tires stick out quite a bit. This kit holds the tire and wheel dead solid, I see zero movement or vibration during our normal daily driving going over all sorts of bumps and road conditions at low or high speed. Plus the kit accommodates the factory backup camera and third brake light perfectly and allows the tire to be removed and replaced without removing any annoying wheel mounted solutions for the license plate or backup camera. The kit looks great and allows one handed easy access to the tailgate. In short the Mopar kit is virtually perfect and I am super picky about mods to our Jeep and if this kit was flimsy or annoying in any way I would rip it off and buy something better.

Many posts completely misinterpret the mechanics involved:

First, the factory hinges are plenty strong enough to handle the weight of a 37" tire and wheel. They do not need any reinforcement. Our tailgate opens and closes perfectly, swings in/out smoothly and easily. There is zero sag or misalignment of the tailgate. If anybody has sag they need to install the kit properly. Note that Jeep sells a storage kit that mounts on the inside of the JL tailgate with an 85lb weight capacity! Meaning the factory tailgate can hold an additional 85lbs on top of the factory spare tire and wheel. When you remove the factory spare and replace it with a 37" spare you are no where near 85lbs extra. I forget the exact amount but our 37" spare only weighs about 25-30lbs more than the factory spare. There is definitely plenty of support built into the factory hinges.

Second, the Mopar kit consists of 2 new parts and reuses the factory spare mounting assembly (including the backup camera and third tail light parts). The new parts are the big reinforcement plate and the spare tire mount relocation brackets. The reinforcement plate goes on first and bolts onto the factory hinges and the tailgate. The relocation brackets go on on second and bolt onto the reinforcement plate and the tailgate. The relocation brackets raise the tire mount up about 2" so the tire clears the factory bumper. Then the factory spare tire mount assembly bolts on top of those 2 kits. In other words you remove the factory spare tire bracket assembly, install the reinforcement plate and the relocation brackets then re-install the factory spare assembly on top of the 2 kit parts. Note the relocation bracket kit comes with 2 adjustable foam bump stops which are critical to the operation of the kits and prevent the tire from wiggling and vibration.

Third, the main purpose of the 2 kits is to stiffen the tailgate so the heavier tire does not bend the tailgate sheetmetal due to flex or vibration during operation. If a big heavy tire hanging off the back of the tailgate wiggles around from bumps and rough roads it will eventually bend or crease the tailgate sheetmetal, not because the hinges are to too weak to carry the weight but because thin sheetmetal will bend if it is not thick enough and stiff enough to handle the wiggles.

So the reinforcement plate and relocation brackets act like stiffeners for the tailgate sheetmetal. You might say they are similar to big washers. Imagine a 2 foot square of semi flexible sheetmetal. Drill a 1/4" hole in the middle and install a long bolt and nut in the hole. Grab the long end of the bolt and you can now wiggle it back and forth easily. Not good! Ok now bolt a 1 foot square 1/4" thick sheet of solid steel on top of the thin sheetmetal using 6-8 bolts. Now grab the long end of the bolt in the middle and try to wiggle it. It will now be solid because the stiffener plate makes the thin sheetmetal stiff enough to prevent wiggling.

I paid $710 for the 2 Mopar kits from Amazon. Not cheap but they work perfect and look great.
All of your observations are based on very little time of use. A tailgate mounted tire will wear on the hinges over time. Come back in a couple years and tell us if you still feel the same. A bumper or frame-mounted spare is the only way to remove the stress from the gate/hinges. It's the cantilevered weight that is the biggest problem. If you never opened your tailgate it wouldn't be an issue. Plenty of options on the market for single handed operation of spare tire mount/tailgate. LOD is a great example. Most of the negative comments are from people who have owned Wranglers for years and understand what years of weight hanging on that tailgate will do. You can't really refute anything with your limited experience.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You're welcome !

JIMBO

w.wood

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of your observations are based on very little time of use. A tailgate mounted tire will wear on the hinges over time. Come back in a couple years and tell us if you still feel the same. A bumper or frame-mounted spare is the only way to remove the stress from the gate/hinges. It's the cantilevered weight that is the biggest problem. If you never opened your tailgate it wouldn't be an issue. Plenty of options on the market for single handed operation of spare tire mount/tailgate. LOD is a great example. Most of the negative comments are from people who have owned Wranglers for years and understand what years of weight hanging on that tailgate will do. You can't really refute anything with your limited experience.
Sorry but you are wrong!

We carried a heavy 35" spare and 3.5" backspace ATX beadlock wheel on our 2013 JKUR with a Genright body mounted swing out tire carrier. The Genright carries all the cantilevered weight on the factory hinge mounts just like the Mopar kit. Drove that Jeep JK for 5 years with zero problems, zero sagging and we opened and closed the tailgate hundreds of times.

You think the tailgate is carrying too much weight and that stress will eventually cause it to sag but it is not. The hinges carry all the weight. The tailgate is part of the weight being carried. The factory hinges are plenty strong enough to carry all the weight (tire, wheel and tailgate) forever. Your suggestion that the hinges will wear out is total speculation and without factual support. Your comments also suggest that Mopar engineers are too stupid to calculate the weight bearing ability of the parts they sell. :)

I have tested the Mopar kit and I am absolutely certain that it works properly and definitely has the ability to carry our spare on a long term basis with zero risk to our tailgate. If I was not 100% confident about the ability of the Mopar kit it would not be bolted to our Jeep.

You should also be aware that the JL tailgate is stronger than the JK tailgate - it has thicker sheetmetal and stronger internal bracing.

I am not knocking bumper mounted tire carriers like the LOD. I am simply saying that the Mopar kit is just as strong and reliable, easy to install, uses the factory backup camera and third tailight with no mods, makes it super easy to open/close the tailgate and looks great. We love it and I rarely praise stuff but this Mopar kit is very good.

For whatever its worth, I purchased and will be installing LOD rock sliders and an LOD front bumper on our JL. I carefully considered the LOD rear bumper mounted tire carrier but chose the Mopar kit for the reasons noted above.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sorry but you are wrong!

We carried a heavy 35" spare and 3.5" backspace ATX beadlock wheel on our 2013 JKUR with a Genright body mounted swing out tire carrier. The Genright carries all the cantilevered weight on the factory hinge mounts just like the Mopar kit. Drove that Jeep JK for 5 years with zero problems, zero sagging and we opened and closed the tailgate hundreds of times.

You think the tailgate is carrying too much weight and that stress will eventually cause it to sag but it is not. The hinges carry all the weight. The tailgate is part of the weight being carried. The factory hinges are plenty strong enough to carry all the weight (tire, wheel and tailgate) forever. Your suggestion that the hinges will wear out is total speculation and without factual support. Your comments also suggest that Mopar engineers are too stupid to calculate the weight bearing ability of the parts they sell. :)

I have tested the Mopar kit and I am absolutely certain that it works properly and definitely has the ability to carry our spare on a long term basis with zero risk to our tailgate. If I was not 100% confident about the ability of the Mopar kit it would not be bolted to our Jeep.

You should also be aware that the JL tailgate is stronger than the JK tailgate - it has thicker sheetmetal and stronger internal bracing.

I am not knocking bumper mounted tire carriers like the LOD. I am simply saying that the Mopar kit is just as strong and reliable, easy to install, uses the factory backup camera and third tailight with no mods, makes it super easy to open/close the tailgate and looks great. We love it and I rarely praise stuff but this Mopar kit is very good.

For whatever its worth, I purchased and will be installing LOD rock sliders and an LOD front bumper on our JL. I carefully considered the LOD rear bumper mounted tire carrier but chose the Mopar kit for the reasons noted above.
My statement is far from speculation. It is based on the experience of literally hundreds of owners. If you like it that's great, but to guarantee that it will hold up "forever" based on your own limited experience is a stretch at best.

w.wood

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My statement is far from speculation. It is based on the experience of literally hundreds of owners. If you like it that's great, but to guarantee that it will hold up "forever" based on your own limited experience is a stretch at best.
Give us a break. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Hundreds of owners?? That is total baloney. Show us 20 or 30 of them. The JL and Mopar kit have not been around that long. Pretty obvious you don't even have the Mopar kit on a JL so how could you know diddle? At best you are repeating inaccurate info posted by other biased, misinformed people who don't what they are talking about either. Pretty lame. :)

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s a new offering from RedRock... on extreme terrain parts. $80 seems very reasonable... and that might even give a good mounting place for a jerry can.

17425C56-A749-4B97-BE3F-7D44221209FD.jpeg
Has anyone here actually installed this part? I'm very curious to hear some reviews of it. Did a quick search but didn't find anything in the forums.
Sponsored