Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I am not good at physics and forces so please excuse this if it's too stupid of a question.

How does this Mopar reinforcement actually work? From what I understand it adds an additional piece of metal to the brackets but nothing to the hinges. It seems to me, it's really not accomplishing a reinforcement since most of the weight is on the hinges--how does adding additional weight to the door help the hinges? What am I missing here? If we are to reinforce the tailgate and protect the hinges from the additional weight of bigger tires, shouldn't the entire hinge mechanism be changed to a bigger one?

I am curious...
Sponsored

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
I am not good at physics and forces so please excuse this if it's too stupid of a question.

How does this Mopar reinforcement actually work? From what I understand it adds an additional piece of metal to the brackets but nothing to the hinges. It seems to me, it's really not accomplishing a reinforcement since most of the weight is on the hinges--how does adding additional weight to the door help the hinges? What am I missing here? If we are to reinforce the tailgate and protect the hinges from the additional weight of bigger tires, shouldn't the entire hinge mechanism be changed to a bigger one?

I am curious...
This was my question. Looking forward to the answer.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It moves some of the weight to the hinges and off of the sheet metal in the middle of the tailgate. It’s not the most awesome thing ever, but it is an improvement over stock.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm glad somebody asked that question because when I saw the kit that's the 1st thing that crossed my mind too. If you're not doing anything to the hinges then you're wasting your time. The hinges is where the sag happens.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase

I am curious...
Thanks for pointing this out, and I assume a lot of guys just really like that heavy duty look...for atheistic look purpose...frankly can say that to 80% mods.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Thanks for pointing this out, and I assume a lot of guys just really like that heavy duty look...for atheistic look purpose...frankly can say that to 80% mods.
There are pix of the ripple in the sheet metal. That said, I doubt it does much.

Saying 80% off mods don't improve functionality is off though.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
There are pix of the ripple in the sheet metal. That said, I doubt it does much.

Saying 80% off mods don't improve functionality is off though.
I am sorry 99% of mods will function as intended, but most people go for the look. Like yesterday I saw a guy put wheel spacers on stock tire.

It is no shame going for the look though, at some points everyone do that.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I'm glad somebody asked that question because when I saw the kit that's the 1st thing that crossed my mind too. If you're not doing anything to the hinges then you're wasting your time. The hinges is where the sag happens.

Personally I felt it was less about sag and more about preventing the spare mount from ripping through the back of the tailgate with the added weight of larger wheels/tires.

Plus Jeep recommends it for my size tire, so that’s one less place where they can make excuses if/when warranty work needs to be completed.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So the spare mounts to the tail gate and the tailgate mounts to the hinges. All the Mopar reinforcement really does is take some the weight of the spare and transfers it directly to hinges. It makes the whole system more rigid. That way there is less stress on the tailgate itself. Now it’s all still connected to the tailgate so it’s not really an ideal set up, but as stated earlier...it’s better than stock. Also, the factor of safety used in the engineering for these types of things is usually pretty high. So the system can probably safely hold quite a bit more than advertised. I’m not advocating someone see how much more, but I wouldn’t worry about going over the rating by 10%-15% provided everything was installed correctly. Cost is a whole other animal and personaly, for the price, I don’t think the benefit is worth it unless you are keeping the factory bumper. You can get a bumper with a mounted tire carrier for just a bit more than you can get a bumper and the reinforcement bracket.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Now, it would be great if someone can explain why this darn thing is so expensive!!! It's a piece of aluminum! $600+ seems excessive. Add another $200+ for the Mopar riser.......WOW.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
It makes the whole system more rigid. That way there is less stress on the tailgate itself.
Personally I felt it was less about sag and more about preventing the spare mount from ripping through the back of the tailgate with the added weight of larger wheels/tires.

How? I think I need a diagram :) How does adding weight to the brackets, makes anything stronger? The stress on the hinges are the same. The stress on the tire holder is the same. The forces on the brackets are vertical and to some degree horizontal due to the tire weight pulling on the tailgate. The reinforcement doesn't reinforces the connection between the spare tire studs and the tailgate, nor does it take any forces away from the hinges... so how does it make anything stronger? Still curious... :)

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to google it but couldn't find anything. Do you have any links? This really has gotten me curious. I have purchased the reinforcement and am about to return it unless I see a real benefit from installing it. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
It moves some of the weight to the hinges and off of the sheet metal in the middle of the tailgate. It’s not the most awesome thing ever, but it is an improvement over stock.
It doesn't do anything to the hinges. It just adds more weight to the brackets--but does not touch or do anything to the hinges. Which I find curious...

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I tried to google it but couldn't find anything. Do you have any links? This really has gotten me curious. I have purchased the reinforcement and am about to return it unless I see a real benefit from installing it. Thanks in advance!
If you’re on the fence about it and can return it, do so. There is a marginal improvement in how the tire carrier connects to the tailgate (lateral bracing) but it isn’t a slam dunk mod.

For me, I wanted some peace of mind while vendors get their act together on backup sensors in bumper/tire carrier combinations. It’s always been short term for me.
Sponsored