Sponsored

Picking a Wrangler...could use some help.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The lockers are actually the one Rubicon feature I use the least. I love the 4:1 low range and the sway bar disconnect.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you can comfortably afford the Rubi just get one and call it a day :) They will hold their value amazingly well if & when the time comes to resell. And just use those stock tires for awhile until you get used to the Rubi drive and you can always bump up to that 285/75 down the road.

I don't regret getting our Sport S and it's fun to keep adding stuff along the way, but having those nice 4x4 features at your fingertips and the nice creature comforts are something I wouldn't mind at all :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
. But here's the real want: my wife wants it to have a bright color, and look "bad ass." It will be her daily driver, and not much off-roading (for now).

I don't want the sway bar disconnect or lockers (will never need them).

Is there something I'm missing here, or thinking incorrectly about?
You're missing a Rubicon in your driveway. Your wife sounds like my wife and her Jeep was a money pit that I could have made less of a money pit had I started w a Rubicon. I said the whole sway bar locker statement just like you and within a year regretted making that statement. Here is a before and after pic of her Jeep. It's a Sahara with Rubi rims and tires in the first pick and a beast in the second and it's changed since the second one as well... lol.
Good luck whatever you choose.

Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. 7260D035-EC49-4ABE-B061-7DEE167A8167.JPG

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The lockers are actually the one Rubicon feature I use the least. I love the 4:1 low range and the sway bar disconnect.
That was my experience as well when I owned Rubicons. The swaybar would disconnect the moment I hit a trail; the 4:1 came in handy holding the Jeep on steep descents. But I would engage the lockers only a handful of times a year.

The swaybar disconnect is the one feature I miss from Rubicon, but I love the Selec-Trac; I make full use of it six months of the year. And the rear LSD is always on.

Can't have it all.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I dont think anyone mentioned this, about the Willys version. The Willys comes with what looks like mud tires. These will not handle as well as the A/T tires that come stock, with the Rubicon. I ran into a couple a few weeks ago, and they had a month old Willys, that they didnt like. They said the ride was rough, and it was dangerous in the rain, because of the tires.
If you plan on a lot of driving in wet weather, it is something to consider.

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Yes, I agree with all of this, and thank you so much about the shock information. This damn forum is SO full of information, a lot of times I can't remember where I read something. I think the Willys gets it done, but it is something less than a Rubicon with so many little features that really add to its appeal. I hate to say this, but at 52, I find myself wanting the damn red dash and red stitching in the interior. And worst of all, I like the stupid Rubicon hood decals. That with the little red exterior accents really adds to its looks. Other packages seem too monochrome. Some have done things to solve this, but most not. I've even been trying to figure out something custom for the hood decal if I don't go Rubicon.

The Rubicon would be great, but I feel like the approximate $5,000 premium for a lot of things I just will likely never use is a waste. The only reason I'd want one is for the unnecessary stronger, wider axles for my needs, the 4.10 gears, and those interior accents. And I strongly would rather have the LSD over lockers. It may come down to what kind of a deal I can get.

I've seen a ton of pics and videos that make us want to go out to Colorado and drive some of the trails out there. The scenery is spectacular. We do plan to tow this Wrangler out there with the motorhome in a few years, but I will not do anything technical or risk even scuffing the bottom or sides! :) Sad, right?
I’ve owned all three models, with a Rubicon being the current version. Put it this way—you may think you’ll never use the heavy duty parts on the Rubicon until you have them and see what they can do. The first time I drove over some really bad road with the sway bar disconnected and the differentials locked was unreal—I felt like I was in a tank or bulldozer. Also, I think the best resale value is on the Rubicon.

Short bus

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
You know, we went down the same road in 2014 and got a Sport S and then spent the next 6 years wishing we had gotten the Rubicon. We lifted it and put on bigger tires, but were never satisfied, so this year we traded it for a Rubicon and wonder why we waited so long to do it. Get what you really want; you are only putting 6k per year, you will have it for a long time. I really like the new Snazzberry color by the way, we got Hella Yella and really like it, but it's not for everyone.

Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. 7260D035-EC49-4ABE-B061-7DEE167A8167.JPG

IMG_2602.jpg

gbassett65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. CF59FD74-690A-495F-801C-DC7DC2717977

I researched for over a year and went with the Willys with Tan cloth interior. Which ever one you chose, make it your own and just enjoy it. This was our first Jeep (Couldn’t find what we wanted so we ordered a 2021 back in July). It was worth the wait!!

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I dont think anyone mentioned this, about the Willys version. The Willys comes with what looks like mud tires. These will not handle as well as the A/T tires that come stock, with the Rubicon. I ran into a couple a few weeks ago, and they had a month old Willys, that they didnt like. They said the ride was rough, and it was dangerous in the rain, because of the tires.
If you plan on a lot of driving in wet weather, it is something to consider.
Ride is definitely not rough. It's actually on the squishy side and quite comfortable. I've only been in light rain with it so far, so can't comment on that. Idk... to each their own. I too was hung up on the Willys/Rubicon dilemma. In the end I liked the look more, the price more, and knew the Rubicon would be overkill for my light 4x4/overlanding/camping needs.

Sponsored

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
Love my Sport S with Rubi Takeoff tires wheels and Suspension. Recommend safety package for lane change and cross path warning. Wife’s car has adaptive cruise and I hate it.
I have dual top which I’m very happy with. Highly recommend, but if I had to pick only 1 , I’d go with my soft top now (not what I would have chosen before buying). Nothing like flipping the top back in 2 seconds at a red light on nice days. Mid tires shouldn’t be much of an issue if you’re changing tires anyhow. I searched online across multiple states to find the build I wanted for the right price. From what I’ve read you can get a good deal too building exactly what you want. Enjoy

BFC4554A-CE69-40F9-B616-82ADCE1BF4C4.jpeg

CD3E648E-D40D-4E6E-8346-7F8D85A44C80.jpeg

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up going with the altitude because the HD brakes, Sahara shocks, black ascents and got a good deal. It also came with lsd.

PXL_20200921_222116305.jpg

PXL_20201021_201817363.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
You want a Jeep and stated "I dont want a money pit".

This is a very rare style of Jeep. I have never seen one personally.

I have heard that deep in the Black Forest, past the Troll caves you can find a meadow inhabited by sprites and fairies of all kinds. In the corner of this meadow there is a waterfall feeding a small pool with a hollow tree at its edge. There is an elf living there that sells these mystical Jeeps that he claims are Unicorn rated.

I would try looking there....
Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. 30112fc7c3be35033b03bd543925151e

Edit: you may want to ride in Alioscha's Alitude jeep above to find this. He said it came with LSD so it might help you locate the Unicorns!

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
Welcome to the club! It’s a tough decision, I know. I personally went with a Mojito! JLU Rubicon because it looks bad a$$ (daily driver and not much off roading). One thing to consider. I have seen people say they wished they got a Rubicon instead of (insert trim level here), but I don’t recall seeing anyone regretting getting a Rubicon over another trim. I’m sure there’s one out there though. All the trims are great. Do what you can afford and enjoy but do get the LED lights. Halogens suck...
Jeep Wrangler JL Picking a Wrangler...could use some help. D87FFAA7-EA4B-484F-896D-7D8E2F072CC4
Sponsored