Sponsored

Proof The Wrangler Diesel Could Have Had A Manual

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Gretag rated the G238 at 570 nm (383 lb/ft).

The aftermarket can also drop in a 5.7 Hemi, but they don’t have the same issues that OEM’s need to deal with.

Where on Aisin’s site does it show optional torque capacities for AL6/D478 ?
Let me do some digging, aisin is notorious having a terrible site. But I did stumble upon a page somewhere that listed different options for AL6 transmissions and 370 nm was the mid range option if I recall.

As for the getrag, that's an early version later gens now under the magna name known also as the 6mti are rated up to 800nm / ~590ftlb. This is one option ford is reportedly looking at for the new bronco.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was amazed when I went to Germany how many manual transmission diesels there were I guess Americans have gotten lazy with driving so the MT market has gone down I for one love manual transmissions and I live in busy stop and go DFW traffic the problem is America’s tree huggers have passed laws that make doing anything industrial really expensive so FCA’s profit will not be very good with the 1% to 2% Jeep owners that want a manual diesel after they do all the development so start enjoying that 3.6 6 speed lol:LOL:

Seems to be the general American opinion that it's hard to yap on your phone, eat your cheeseburger and hold your coffee while steering with your knees if you have to shift as well.

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Seems to be the general American opinion that it's hard to yap on your phone, eat your cheeseburger and hold your coffee while steering with your knees if you have to shift as well.
You forgot putting on makeup while knitting a sweater while taking a nap.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Tremec TR4050 would have also been a solid choice. Its rated at 425ftlb when the GCVWR is 10klb. Even when towing 3500 a JLU rubicon is well under that. Tremec would likely rate it much higher in our vehicles given the lower weight rating.

Plus it has an ultra low first gear if my jk sticks around any longer one will be going under it so I can use the nsg370 currently under it for .50 target practice which is really what an NSG370 is good for.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If we wanted towing power, we'd buy pickups. Towing capacity is unchanged in the diesel version anyway.
That’s my point. Another way that the Diesel Wrangler meets a smaller market need.

A lot of SUVs can tow including the grand Cherokee. I don’t understand why Wrangler owners pretend only trucks can tow.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
If there was money to be made were the OEM fails to meet a niche demand, the aftermarket would step in and fill that void. I am sure somebody will tackle the issue in the aftermarket, but expect it to cost big as per unit cost will not be levelized across everybody else that does not purchase like the OEM has the ability too do.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I have a 6 speed JLUR and I love it, but I can understand why the MT would be discontinued by manufactures.

I'm going to hate to see it go when it's gone for good. I've been driving stick for 20 years now. :(
Sponsored