Sponsored

People that have gone from "sporty" rides to a Wrangler... be honest now... do you regret it?

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I've been looking into the JLUR for a while now.. However, a friend of mine wants to by my M4 Convertible. I know that I will miss the 520hp but I also know, I am good as long as I can drive with an open top.. And I can go to my friend and switch cars.. :D I must say, without that fact, I might would not sell my car for a JLUR. However, I will have my first test drive this Saturday.. Let's see how it drives :)
I'd be interested to know how this all turns out for you. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
Porsche Boxster > 911 > Cayman > 2 Door JL.

No regrets. The 4 door didn’t seem sporty to either of us, so my wife and I figured 2 doors was enough since it’s just the two of us now. Just yesterday she told me maybe her favorite thing about the Wrangler is how “zippy” it is, and she’s got a lot of experience behind the wheels of some “zippy” cars.

trollfarmer

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4 Convertible
I'd be interested to know how this all turns out for you. Thanks for sharing!
I will keep you posted :) However, in Switzerland most mods are not allowed (yet) for the JLs.. I need to make sure what wheels and front bumper are allowed first, before buying the car. We only get it wit the standard bumber here.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
DD was an ATS-V now to the JLUR. No regrets but I still have a weekend fun car to get some "sporty" on.
I WISH I could 100% know that I could afford a second sporty car in addition to a Wrangler, but I don't think the account can support it. I really need to look at this through the "one or the other" lense, and that's what I'm looking for other first person feedback on. Thanks for your comment :)

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I WISH I could 100% know that I could afford a second sporty car in addition to a Wrangler, but I don't think the account can support it. I really need to look at this through the "one or the other" lense, and that's what I'm looking for other first person feedback on. Thanks for your comment :)
Ok then. If I had to have one or the other, I pick the JL all day. Why? It is way more versatile and I like that the best. Great DD, fun factor while DD is great. Easy to park and get in and out of driveways without worrying about scraping all the time. Then obviously you have the off road capability and it just puts it over the top.

Easy choice. The JL will stay and weekend car will go if I had to make the choice.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I've had sports cars in the past and came back to a Wrangler. I don't miss them for the following reasons.
-Too much traffic in my area to enjoy the speed and handling. Most of the time I have no room, due to traffic, to accelerate quicky to local cruising speeds of 30-45mph.
-The roads in my area waaay to shitty to drive fast. The Jeep can handle the decaying roads without a sweat.
-Road rage, slight irritation really, is all gone. I no longer feel the need to catch the car in front of me to save a whole 10 seconds in the city or 2 minutes on a longer highway drive. The whole vibe of driving the Jeep is just so much relaxed and enjoyable.
-I can enjoy the Jeep on more daily trips than a sports car. I can ride over a parking blocks, drive through a modest trail, or take the top off almost everyday. In the sports cars, I'm always halted by the fear of the cops and speed cameras that are popping up everywhere.
Extras:
-In bad weather, I don't worry about not getting out or back home.
-A dirty Jeep doesn't look so bad. A slightly dirty 'fancy/sporty' car looks much worse than a much dirtier Jeep

Trail_Bandit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I kept my M3 so I can always enjoy my "sporty car". The Jeep is my DD. :like:

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
My first new car after I commissioned was a 1998 GTi VR6, then a 2005 Volvo S60R, then a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon. There are times I miss driving a really fast car, but the Jeep is so much better all-around. Like previously mentioned...bad roads, weather, nowhere to drive fast, etc. Lucky for me, I still have my 1972 Chevelle if I get the itch to go from Zero-to-Jail speeds quickly.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't gotten my JL yet but no issues moving between vehicles with my JK.

I will just say it how it is. Wranglers are special. For people that like these there is something about them. I am not sure I can put my finger on what I loved about mine or what I've loved about every Wrangler I have driven but of all the vehicles I have ever owned Wrangler is my favorite and I purchase a new vehicles every few years. I am at the point now I am done looking at all these different vehicles and just coming to accept that while certain vehicles are fun and certainly enjoyable, for my lifestyle a Wrangler is hands down my preference.

Regarding some of these higher end performance vehicles, there are some things that REALLY suck with ownership you're getting ride of I NEVER have or had to worry about with my Jeep. As far as the experience, your Wrangler isn't going to pull a 0-60 in under 4 seconds or beg to be pushed wherever you going. You climb into your Jeep and just know you'll get there when you get there so enjoy actually driving lol.

I watched a security feed of a lady who was grossly obese beat the shit out of my front fender trying to get into her car in a parking garage. It was sickening (her life expectancy too sadly) to watch my Jeep get banged up like that but for me I looked at it like its a mans vehicle. I never washed it. always thought it looked badass dirty. Had that have been one of my luxury cars, I would have lost my shit. That is stress I don't need.

One year, I went 7 months straight without a top in KC area. Anyone from this area knows we 100+ humid days to -10 and serious snow. I couldn't count the times I went full send in rain storms and just didn't care and it felt almost free. Would I keep the panoramic roof open if it was even sprinkling on my car? Nope. I am 100% ready to get my JL.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had sport cars and touring coupes in the past and so far I’m enjoying the Jeep (other than service). It’s probably the funnest vehicle I’ve ever driven and as another member posted above, I’m also much more relaxed when driving. It’s now my DD and makes my commute and traffic bearable

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
Went from a Mini Cooper S. Apparently I have a thing on cars with iconic silhouettes. It’s not as agile as the mini but the road doesn’t beat me up and I like how high I can sit and just the overall beast factor.
Same here - though mine was a Mini John Cooper Works. Great car & ranks up there with the Porsche 944 I used to have. I’ve also had Jeeps all my life (seven of them, dating back to my 1979 CJ7), so I’ve got a pretty good handle on what to expect with them. I’ve also been driving a JKU and the JCW concurrently for the last 6 years, so transitioning between the two is second nature at this point.

I’m impressed by how the 2018 JLUR handles the road. While not a sports car, it has a much sportier feel than the JKU & I really enjoy driving it & putting it through the gears. Like the JCW, my JLUR is also a 6-speed manual, which helps. I don’t drive it as aggressively as the Mini (nor should it be!), but it’s just as fun.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I kept my Mach 1 and leased a Wrangler. That way I can go fast if I want and go anywhere if I want. No regrets.

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
While not a “sports car” per se, I went from an 2010 Acura (entry level luxury sedan?) to a 2018 JLUR and have zero regrets. Only thing I miss about the Acura is the tighter steering. I dont hate the Rubicons steering though. I will also confirm that the Rubicon has made me a more relaxed driver. Im suddenly not in as big of a rush to get to places anymore. :like:
Sponsored