Sponsored

People that have gone from "sporty" rides to a Wrangler... be honest now... do you regret it?

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
Sponsored

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Had a few G35's and Charger Hemi. Don't regret getting into this at all.

If you miss speed find an old used car for 5K later for a weekend toy for those cravings. Got over 7K miles on my JL and don't miss my charger at all and I enjoyed driving it.

Sponsored

Ac91

First Name
Azem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport
Didnt necessarily go straight to a JL but I went from a 2013 Gt500 to a tundra and then bought my JL still days that I miss the gt500 but all around the tundra and JL are alot more suited for my lifestyle and needs now days

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Will put my spin on this....3 out of last 4 have been trucks. I am a truck guy, but have been wanting a wrangler since I had one as a rental 15 years ago on my honeymoon. I traded in a 2017 Nissan Titan XD Platinum in for my JL. Miss it every day buy love it everytime I get in my Jeep. Working from home I dont get to drive much and after selling my TT I dont need a tow vehicle so it was an easy switch from the truck to the jeep. Loved the way the XD drove....smooth as butter. But love the Jeep so much more...almost hard to explain.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have owned nearly 50 cars in the past 15 years. I switch up often. In that time span, I have owned six Wranglers. I often own something sporty at the same time. I do this because on its own, I would get bored of the wrangler. The most important thing is that you appreciate the wrangler for what it is, and forget about what it is not.

Sponsored

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
I've never had a pure sporty car, but my Audi had plenty of punch to zip through the highway. Same as you, I was worried as soon as the newness of the JL wore off I would miss being able to accelerate as easy and other advantages of a faster vehicle. After having my JL for a few months (I should mention it's a stock 4 door Sport S) I haven't missed anything about my previous ride I thought I was going to sacrifice having a Jeep. Sure, I can't maneuver my way through traffic as easy but to my surprise, it hasn't really been an issue "taking as long" to get to places. Plus it forces me to be a safer driver which is always a good thing. JL actually has a lot more pick up than I expected and for me personally, handling has been great.

I think you'll like it long term and you'll appreciate the pros of the JL more than any cons coming from a sports car.

Side note- if you do end up missing a sporty ride, you can always go back and actually appreciate it more since you've taken some time away with a vehicle that is the complete opposite.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I went from a '16 Mustang to a JL last summer. I haven't missed the Mustang at all! It's a very different driving experience, both unique and fun in their own way. The beauty of our passion and hobby, is that we can always go back!

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I had one sports car years ago, they're great. I think everyone gets tired of any vehicle over time, more so if it's a daily driver. I had my tj for 21 years and it still brings a smile to my face but it's not a DD and I think that makes a big difference. Even with a 4.0 motor it was just a hoot. The new 3.6 is gobs more fun and with the new 8 speed just wow.

The absolute best thing about a jeep (not counting the top removal) is the way you can customize them to suit YOU. There are so many ways you can change a jeep, no other vehicle can match. Then on top of that are its off road capabilities, It will bring you places you never dreamed of.

Sports cars are cool but jeep breath adventure even if you go nowhere.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Since you can’t really speed on the street, my JLUR gives me all the usable fun, ie manual, convertible, while also giving me the utility missing in the sporty cars. And when I feel the need for speed I use it to tow my Panigale to the track!

trollfarmer

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4 Convertible
I've been looking into the JLUR for a while now.. However, a friend of mine wants to by my M4 Convertible. I know that I will miss the 520hp but I also know, I am good as long as I can drive with an open top.. And I can go to my friend and switch cars.. :D I must say, without that fact, I might would not sell my car for a JLUR. However, I will have my first test drive this Saturday.. Let's see how it drives :)
Sponsored