Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I actually dunno but my neighbor hauls water (don't recall exact gallons) on a 5x8' with an '03 TJ and says if he's not careful he's popping a wheelie....so watch that tongue weight ;)

As for the cooler/fridge debate I agree a fridge can't be much heavier after ice....AT MOST 10, maybe 15 pounds and probably not that much. I know it all adds up but 10 pounds isn't going to make or break the OP's issue(s)
The TJ was rated to tow 1,000lbs. The JL tows much better.
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is. look at the spring numbers. I bought a rubicon towing suspension and it made the rear of my jeep WAY beefier. I can carry more weight for sure. The spring numbers for the rear are 5 units up from my original sport suspension, while the front are 4 units higher.
OK thanks, but yours is beefier only because you installed a Rubi rear suspension, right? I just have whatever came with the factory tow package option on a Sport. Trying to determine if this is different than what comes on a Sport without the tow package.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
OK thanks, but yours is beefier only because you installed a Rubi rear suspension, right? I just have whatever came with the factory tow package option on a Sport. Trying to determine if this is different than what comes on a Sport without the tow package.
It is a unit higher than the front was from the sport. get it? it means it is beefier. If my suspension didnt come with tow package it wouldve been 4 units higher on the rear. Your rear sport suspension is beefier than one in a sport without towing package. It is all relative to the stock jeep.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Get tires with higher load rating.
Brakes and drivetrain are designed to 10x more than advertised payload
Anything below 1500 lb and the right tires will be no problem.
You have to remember that in US, towing and payloads are deflated by about 20% due to idiots and layers.

Wrangler payload is 1100-1300lb.
Seing how hybrid payload is same as Sahara, while hybrid weight 400lb more - there's no reason why you cant have 400lb more in any other wrangler model (other then maybe a bit more suspension sag ...they do sell suspension load spacers)

Last edited:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport manual 2dr had a Dana 220 rear axle. I replaced it with a Sport S auto 2dr which had a Dana 200 rear axle.

I ended up swapping my Dana M186/M200 with Dana M210/M220 (Rubicon take-offs with <7K miles).

I added an AEV dual sport suspension, which is designed to support more cargo (overlanding).

I blogged about my GVWR and a call I had with someone at Jeep.

https://donmontalvo.com/2021/04/13/cat-scales-and-gvwr/

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
The TJ was rated to tow 1,000lbs. The JL tows much better.
And the "LJ" aka TJ long is rated for 5000 with caveat frontal area square. It was my Scamp's tow vehicle. "Manual transmission running 3:73 gears"
Now back to the subject, skip the heavy bumpers lose weight on winch cable use winch rope, dump rear seat if not needed. If you got a hard top remove it and run a soft top. Yes Jeep have different springs depending on options.. at least in the "JT's", minimal extra toolset. If you go to a trailer keep it fairly short to cut sway but sucks for backing. My JT Max-Tow is short of GMVW I'm about to "put it on a diet" I might go back to OEM bumper with winch plate. I'd bet a 12 v. Fridge freezer is lighter or very close vs a cooler with ice plus no sloshing around. Stock rims vs after market probably lighter too. A thing to check in to is after market / custom springs and contact with different shock company's too. My XJ I had to go with different rear springs and shocks.

donmontalvo:
I know that feeling I have weight on my JT front axle, total and rear axle weight. My XJ and LJ are porky too.😉

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is a unit higher than the front was from the sport. get it? it means it is beefier. If my suspension didnt come with tow package it wouldve been 4 units higher on the rear. Your rear sport suspension is beefier than one in a sport without towing package. It is all relative to the stock jeep.
OK thanks...this is sort of what I had heard before, but have never seen any actual technical specs or other info, even on the Jeep website. Wish they would have listed that, since it's just as important as all the other goodies that come with the tow/HD electrical group. Appreciate your feedback though, and good to know how it compares to the non-optioned Sport suspension.
Sponsored