First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
That is about right. There are others in the 250 to 900 range but this one seemed to me a good ratio of cost vs power (60A is quite a lot). At the time I wasn't sure the 110AH would be enough and I expected upgrading to lithium batteries sooner hence why I got the charger. Now I believe that for an AGM house battery, you don't need a charger since it's the same chemistry as the car battery and thus the alternator provides the right charging profile.
Do you have any pics of how you set all this up.
Sponsored

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used the REDARC 25 DC to DC charger with solar input with the Genesis Dual Battery System?

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you have any pics of how you set all this up.
Here it is. Like I said, it's all temporary and a proof of concept which worked quite well. Final layout will look somewhat similar with the exception of the main fuse which I'll replace with a resetable version. I'll post a picture once I'm done.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overlanding battery {filename}

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone used the REDARC 25 DC to DC charger with solar input with the Genesis Dual Battery System?
I wonder where you would mount the redarc in that scenario. I don't think it would be wise to mount it under the hood and there is limited space under the dash. Maybe under the seats?

It's one of the reasons I didn't go with the genesis dual battery, if I was to allocate space for the charger somewhere in the back, might as well just put the 2nd battery there instead and not be constrained by space/battery size.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder where you would mount the redarc in that scenario. I don't think it would be wise to mount it under the hood and there is limited space under the dash. Maybe under the seats?

It's one of the reasons I didn't go with the genesis dual battery, if I was to allocate space for the charger somewhere in the back, might as well just put the 2nd battery there instead and not be constrained by space/battery size.
The REDARC is a sealed system and can be mounted under the hood. I have it mounted on top of my spare battery in my 4Runner but that's not an option with the Genesis. I emailed Genesis and asked about using the REDARC and they said that it is complimentary to their product and will help the batteries charge faster as well as have solar input.

I want to use the REDARC so that I can try out this hood mounted solar panel to keep the battery topped off for the refrigerator.

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/product...vss-system-80-watt-hood-solar-panel-pre-order

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The REDARC is a sealed system and can be mounted under the hood. I have it mounted on top of my spare battery in my 4Runner but that's not an option with the Genesis. I emailed Genesis and asked about using the REDARC and they said that it is complimentary to their product and will help the batteries charge faster as well as have solar input.

I want to use the REDARC so that I can try out this hood mounted solar panel to keep the battery topped off for the refrigerator.

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/product...vss-system-80-watt-hood-solar-panel-pre-order
That is very interesting, I didn't know they were sealed. Make sure to post pictures once setup!

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)

This is interesting to me, but I'm trying to understand how the two will be wired together. Everything I've read about the Redarc, or other DC to DC chargers seems to point toward the starter and accessory battery needing to be isolated from one another, and not connected together like the Genesis system.

The Genesis system has a battery isolator between the starter and accessory battery, and Redarc has its own isolator built in.

Has anyone had luck wiring a Redarc or other DC to DC charger into the Genesis system?

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would think that you swap the isolator with the dc to dc charger.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that you swap the isolator with the dc to dc charger.
I emailed Genesis asking if I would still need the isolator and this was their reply to my question of Would I still need to install the isolator:

"Yes, they serve different purposes. The Redarc is simply an on board charger. It will help charge the batteries faster. Our isolator will let you run accessories while protecting the cranking battery from being drained down. So they are complimentary products."

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I emailed Genesis asking if I would still need the isolator and this was their reply to my question of Would I still need to install the isolator:

"Yes, they serve different purposes. The Redarc is simply an on board charger. It will help charge the batteries faster. Our isolator will let you run accessories while protecting the cranking battery from being drained down. So they are complimentary products."
I disagree with them. If I take my setup as example, I tested the battery drain on the starter battery once the charger was in sleep mode (2min after shutdown) and it was the same as if my setup is unplugged.

I don't know the redarc as well but I would assume it works the same way as any dc to dc charger.

I would even go as far as saying leaving the isolator in place would mess with the charger's charging profile as it would get feedback from the starter battery/alternator.

But I'm no expert so don't listen to me.

Sponsored

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was starting to do my initial research on running a genesis setup with a redarc bcdc charger and still off jumpstart functionality.

Based on this diagram from redarc's site. (Link for Reference)

Wire the Positive from original battery to BCDC (Red
Wire a Low voltage trigger to vehicle ignition (Blue)
Ground the BCDC
Run a Positive wire (Brown) from BCDC to Secondary battery
Run a Positive wire from second battery to a relay (Brown)
Run a Positive wire from Relay back to main battery (Brown
Then you just need to wire a switch to engage the relay to enable the connection between the two.

I am thinking of just going with just the tray option and then getting a REDARC BCDC and a sepearate solenoid for when i need to jump from spare battery. Then after that is wired you could run a SPOD off the second battery to power your various devices.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was starting to do my initial research on running a genesis setup with a redarc bcdc charger and still off jumpstart functionality.

Based on this diagram from redarc's site. (Link for Reference)

Wire the Positive from original battery to BCDC (Red
Wire a Low voltage trigger to vehicle ignition (Blue)
Ground the BCDC
Run a Positive wire (Brown) from BCDC to Secondary battery
Run a Positive wire from second battery to a relay (Brown)
Run a Positive wire from Relay back to main battery (Brown
Then you just need to wire a switch to engage the relay to enable the connection between the two.

I am thinking of just going with just the tray option and then getting a REDARC BCDC and a sepearate solenoid for when i need to jump from spare battery. Then after that is wired you could run a SPOD off the second battery to power your various devices.
This is probably the best possible setup for this. Unfortunately, I already paid big bucks for the Genesis full system, only to find out it doesn't charge properly off the vehicle charging system. Wish this would have been disclosed prior to me shelling out that much cash.

Keep in mind, that even with your setup, you would need to run something other than an Odyssey for your starter battery if you want it to hold a full charge and not age prematurely. Either that or just plan to replace it once very 2 or 3 years.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The benefit of the Redarc setup is that you could run two different group 25 batteries that will fit in the tray. Since they arent run in parallel there is no concern with the difference between battery capacity.

A standard group 25 starting battery and then a deep cycle house battery. Just need to validate the measurements between the two batteries and the total tray size available.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Interesting. So what you guys are saying is just to get a dual battery Tray and bypass the entire Genesis overpriced system all together and just run the Redarc setup. Hmm. I like that.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. So what you guys are saying is just to get a dual battery Tray and bypass the entire Genesis overpriced system all together and just run the Redarc setup. Hmm. I like that.
That's definitely what I would do if I were to do it over again.
Sponsored