Overlanding battery

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What's the bead on this? I noticed that the JL was constantly sitting at 14+ volts attempting to charge these two batteries. However, since returning from my very long trip to the Rockies and about (5K + miles) this seems to be no longer the case, as the voltage settles down within an hour or two.
There are certain parameters which are programmed in to the ECU to vary the charging voltage, IMO all in an effort to increase MPG standards for CARB/CAFE. I am going to send an email to Z automotive and see what they can do, although doubtful any progress will be made as I am sure the request to maintain constant charging voltage would be low but never hurts to ask. Will start doing some research and see what else I can do.

As you said I dont have a problem when out on long trips but when I am home and the wife uses the jeep as a daily driver (She has shorter commute and loves driving it haha) her commute is only 5-7 miles and remains parked with fridge on 24 hours a day non stop. Thats when the ARB has kicked off due to low voltage.. I changed the setting to low last weekend so will see how far I can stretch it.
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There are certain parameters which are programmed in to the ECU to vary the charging voltage, IMO all in an effort to increase MPG standards for CARB/CAFE. I am going to send an email to Z automotive and see what they can do, although doubtful any progress will be made as I am sure the request to maintain constant charging voltage would be low but never hurts to ask. Will start doing some research and see what else I can do.

As you said I dont have a problem when out on long trips but when I am home and the wife uses the jeep as a daily driver (She has shorter commute and loves driving it haha) her commute is only 5-7 miles and remains parked with fridge on 24 hours a day non stop. Thats when the ARB has kicked off due to low voltage.. I changed the setting to low last weekend so will see how far I can stretch it.
Thanks for the update. I have a really good charger that I picked up off of Amazon the other month. I don't commute, but I do throw the jeep on the charger before I head out on trips with the fridge just to make sure all is up to snuff. It would be nice if the Alternator would be able to keep up with the charging of the batteries.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
You can fit a larger battery in the stock tray, its a tight fit and perfect.

Group 94 AGM, ran fridge for about 44 hrs without turning jeep on. I have a whynter 45qt fridge

Edit, you have to remove the little battery stopper (second photo) Then I added a 1/4” piece of aluminum to make it a tight fit

66731827-EC99-44C8-BD07-8C6C3FBA0268.jpeg

9E001888-7090-46A7-BBED-65F5EC056B30.jpeg

2EDA0235-3ACC-4C23-B859-5048BEF87312.jpeg

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can fit a larger battery in the stock tray, its a tight fit and perfect.

Group 94 AGM, ran fridge for about 44 hrs without turning jeep on. I have a whynter 45qt fridge

Edit, you have to remove the little battery stopper (second photo) Then I added a 1/4” piece of aluminum to make it a tight fit

66731827-EC99-44C8-BD07-8C6C3FBA0268.jpeg

9E001888-7090-46A7-BBED-65F5EC056B30.jpeg

2EDA0235-3ACC-4C23-B859-5048BEF87312.jpeg

Hard to tell from pictures but it looks like the height is the same correct? Does the battery tie down still fit?

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have been watching this thread for a while as my current setup uses a Yeti 1000. I had been hoping to change it to a 2nd battery and freeing up some space. I am running a Dometic CFX 40 and this past holiday week was out and about. 5 days without charging..... it was on the 4th day mid way through that I lost DC power out of the Yeti as the voltage drop was below 10.1. Plugged the fridge's AC plug into the Yeti AC and was able to grab my last day. Approximately 114 hours with varying fridge load from full to nearly empty on last day. My question is to the group is if anyone is getting longer than 44 hours out of their second battery setup? Also wondering with remote start...has anyone programmed the system to auto start the Jeep to recharge the second battery since U-Connect will remote start?

IMG_5746.jpg

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got my redarc and lead acid battery hooked up. Wired up a solar port with a detachable plug inside if I remove the top. I've yet to hit a full charge, but I haven't had charging power hooked up long enough to switch over to float. Pretty sure I'll be able to go many stationary days with the solar panels hooked up from testing.

20190713_201325.jpg

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Got my redarc and lead acid battery hooked up. Wired up a solar port with a detachable plug inside if I remove the top. I've yet to hit a full charge, but I haven't had charging power hooked up long enough to switch over to float. Pretty sure I'll be able to go many stationary days with the solar panels hooked up from testing.

20190713_201325.jpg
All of this goes pretty much over my head, although I am intrigued and impressed.

I’ve just ordered an ARB 37 quart fridge, and I have a 2kw Honda generator, so I won’t be stuck.

That little rascal will start and run. And charge batteries.

I don’t want to extensively modify the Jeep, as I expect to trade at 36/36.

I’d like to just stick with the cig lighter plug if that’s reasonable.

I checked, and it’s only hot with ignition on, though, and that ain’t gonna work.

Any recommendations for cheap/easy way to get constant power to cig lighter?

Or should I use an auxiliary switch? (I have the factory switches, none in use.)

Or wire direct to battery?

Or what else should I consider, that would be cheap and easy?

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
All of this goes pretty much over my head, although I am intrigued and impressed.

I’ve just ordered an ARB 37 quart fridge, and I have a 2kw Honda generator, so I won’t be stuck.

That little rascal will start and run. And charge batteries.

I don’t want to extensively modify the Jeep, as I expect to trade at 36/36.

I’d like to just stick with the cig lighter plug if that’s reasonable.

I checked, and it’s only hot with ignition on, though, and that ain’t gonna work.

Any recommendations for cheap/easy way to get constant power to cig lighter?

Or should I use an auxiliary switch? (I have the factory switches, none in use.)

Or wire direct to battery?

Or what else should I consider, that would be cheap and easy?
The back 12v outlet should be constant power. The cover on mine shows 12V DC and has a picture of a battery. The front outlet is switched power and has a picture of a key on it

20190726_145827.jpg

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
The back 12v outlet should be constant power. The cover on mine shows 12V DC and has a picture of a battery. The front outlet is switched power and has a picture of a key on it

20190726_145827.jpg

I have a Sport, not a Rubicon. No rear port.

I’m hoping there’s some simple easy way to make the front one always hot.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport also. Must have been included in one of the packages ‍

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I just ordered the ARB wiring kit. Might as well do it right, I reckon. If I can’t figure it out I’ll pay someone to wire it.

Thanks though.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner