First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I found the rear port. I was thinking it would be up in the back seat area.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
63453AD7-3EE2-40BC-B305-BDD817BFFD61.jpeg
Thanks, Ruben. That’s gonna help a lot.

Where did you pass the wires through the firewall?
Right behind brake booster in engine compartment on drivers side is a removable plug. 8 drilled a hole in that plug and passed them through.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just thought I would post and update to those who are running dual batteries and want the alternator charging at 14V+ full time. I did some research on the IBS (intelligent battery system..) and I unplugged the IBS sensor on the ground, ever since my voltage has been above 14V with no dash lights etc.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just thought I would post and update to those who are running dual batteries and want the alternator charging at 14V+ full time. I did some research on the IBS (intelligent battery system..) and I unplugged the IBS sensor on the ground, ever since my voltage has been above 14V with no dash lights etc.
Any issues with the batteries getting a full time charge of 14v?

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Any issues with the batteries getting a full time charge of 14v?
Nope none at all. Most dual battery setups have both batteries charging full time when running and separate when vehicle not running. In my opinion the only reason we have variable charging alternators are for carb and the ever so slightly mpg increase. Been checking the 2nd battery voltage every so often and looks good fridge running full time now.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you just remove the little black box on the ground or did you remove additional wiring?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Moodyw are you running a dual battery setup? Which one? What batteries are you using? So if I understand correctly you dis connected the start stop battery so your dual batteries will charge better? Do you have the tow package with the high out put alternator? Would that make a difference? I would like to run a dual battery set up but have not had the time or $ to make it happen. If the tow package high output alternator could handle it you could have 3 :LOL::LOL::CWL:

Sponsored

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Moodyw are you running a dual battery setup? Which one? What batteries are you using? So if I understand correctly you dis connected the start stop battery so your dual batteries will charge better? Do you have the tow package with the high out put alternator? Would that make a difference? I would like to run a dual battery set up but have not had the time or $ to make it happen. If the tow package high output alternator could handle it you could have 3 :LOL::LOL::CWL:
I'm running a 120 amp deep cycle leisure/house battery and a redarc DC to DC charger...so ultimately I'm running 3 batteries and charging all at optimum levels.
I have the tow package and auxiliary switches which means I have the 240 amp alternator. Plenty of power available with this setup

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am running the genesis dual battery setup with odyssey batteries, it replaces the start/stop battery altogether. I removed the IBS sensor wire so that my alternator charges at constant 14V+ due to the logic controller of the genesis system there needs to be 13V+ for them to become parallel so that both batteries charge. With the fridge running full time my 2nd battery would not charge adequately for my particular use with the IBS hooked up (Causes alternator to variable charge, i.e. voltage fluctuate).

No dont have the tow package, no the somewhat higher amperage alternator would not make a difference in my case as it too does variable charging.

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Since I got a notification that this thread was moved, I might as well update it with the setup I went with in case it helps someone! So I ended up running 4 gauge wires to the back and made myself a section that holds a 110AH agm battery, a B to B charger (Sterling BB1260), a DC subpanel, battery monitor, usb hub and a switch that lets me run everything from the house battery alone, car battery or both at the same time. I'm quite satisfied with the setup and haven't gone through the house battery yet... and never got around doing a dry run. Longest I've been stationary for is 3 days and house battery was still at 12.3v

The whole setup was quickly done so I could use it last summer, I intend to clean up everything and finish my overlanding layout this winter. I'll post some pictures when done.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Since I got a notification that this thread was moved, I might as well update it with the setup I went with in case it helps someone! So I ended up running 4 gauge wires to the back and made myself a section that holds a 110AH agm battery, a B to B charger (Sterling BB1260), a DC subpanel, battery monitor, usb hub and a switch that lets me run everything from the house battery alone, car battery or both at the same time. I'm quite satisfied with the setup and haven't gone through the house battery yet... and never got around doing a dry run. Longest I've been stationary for is 3 days and house battery was still at 12.3v

The whole setup was quickly done so I could use it last summer, I intend to clean up everything and finish my overlanding layout this winter. I'll post some pictures when done.
How much did that sterling charger run you? Amazon shows some around 340. Is that right? Are there cheaper alternatives?

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is about right. There are others in the 250 to 900 range but this one seemed to me a good ratio of cost vs power (60A is quite a lot). At the time I wasn't sure the 110AH would be enough and I expected upgrading to lithium batteries sooner hence why I got the charger. Now I believe that for an AGM house battery, you don't need a charger since it's the same chemistry as the car battery and thus the alternator provides the right charging profile.
Sponsored