Overheating Problems - Need Advice

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Leaking head gasket almost a certainty after this many overheating episodes.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
It seems like your dealer is nothing more than a parts replacement depot. They know how to replace parts, but there is no strategy based diagnosis to determine the "root cause". Seriously , I would change dealers. I think this is clear.

FYI, it is very easy to check for exhaust gases in the coolant.

Last edited:

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Definitely need to find a new dealer. Also ask to see the "old" parts versus taking their work they replaced this or that. Lips service is cheap

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I bought my 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.0 turbo engine) with 9 miles on it August 31, 2018. I live pretty close to work, so I don't drive it as much as I'd like, so I'm having issues that most people would have encountered in the first year, probably.

At 8488 miles, it started leaking fluid. I had to take it in to the dealer twice before that was fixed, totaling a stay of 9 days. The first time for that, they tightened the water pump inlet tube fastener and added more coolant. The second time (8525 miles) they replaced the water pump, the inlet gasket, and added more coolant. Everything was good for a while.

At 12061 miles, it started overheating. It was odd - it would be fine, then the fan would spin up, sounding like an airliner waiting to take off, the temperature gauge would start to creep up, and then it would be in the red and dinging at me like crazy. This would last for about a minute and then it would go back to normal as if nothing happened at all. Also, if you opened the hood during the overheating "episodes" though, there was absolutely no indication that it was actually overheating. Took it to the dealer (visit 1 for this issue) and was told they found an issue with the quick connect valve and t valve and that they were replacing those. They also replaced the heater hose inlet from the thermostat, the coolant bottle inlet hose, and the actual thermostat. Everything worked just fine for three months, but at 12928 miles, it started to overheat again. This time (visit 2) the dealer said it was primarily due to air in the system (and they basically implied that the previous fix was the problem but didn't put that into writing) and they "burped the system" and returned it to us. At 13750 miles, it happened again. The notation this time was “coolant bottle leaking and inlet hose leaking at quick connect warping on cap's O ring - replaced all parts” and they replaced the coolant recovery bottle, coolant recovery bottle cap, and coolant bottle outlet hose. They also insisted that I get an oil change (which was NOT covered under warranty) and returned it to us. Driving it home (less than 5 miles) it smelled like burning oil, so I popped open the hood and checked the dipstick to find they'd overfilled it (it was a good inch above the max line). I turned around and drove back so the service manager could make me wait another 45 minutes while they fixed that issue. It was in with the dealer for a total of 10-11 days for all of that.

I drove to work and back a few times with no issues. Then I drove to a friend's house (about 30 miles away). When I went to leave that evening, the Jeep would not idle. It was sputtering and had no acceleration (tried to drive about 20 feet) and the check engine light was on and dinging at me. I parked it back in their driveway and had them drive me home. This was at 13981 miles. Since it was a Saturday and the dealer's Service Department was not open on Sunday, my husband and I both left voicemails for them to call us and waited. On Monday, we were told to use the Jeep app to have it towed since it is still under warranty. Since the dealership was more than 20 miles away, we ended up paying $120 out of pocket to get it towed there. This time we were told it was due to an “arced spark plug” and the notes say “internal short on spark plug #2.” They replaced ONE SPARK PLUG and said it was ready. My husband and I were both pretty fed up and actually got them to agree to replace all the spark plugs. They test drove it for a while (they put about 12 miles on it themselves and returned it at 13930 miles) and we thought it would be all set.

Fast forward to last night. I'm idling in a drive-thru and it overheated again. At 14425 miles.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do at this point. I have zero confidence in the vehicle's reliability and don't want to drive it anywhere out of town, much less into the mountains. I feel like I have a super-expensive lawn ornament and the dealer does not seem to want to find the actual problem. I also think that we may have a lemon situation, but since it's been three years since we purchased it (even though it's under 15k miles) I don't know that we have much recourse.

We are taking it in first thing this morning after they open up, but I feel like they're going to just tell us it's another hose or leaking seal. It seems like they keep treating the symptoms and not actually trying to find the problem. I'm so frustrated that I am ready to trade it in for something else.

Sorry for the long post - I just really need some advice.
I'd try another dealership if possible. Sounds like an issue that was never fully diagnosed and solved but a bunch of "bandages" applied in an attempt to explain what was going on.

Also forcing the oil change is curious - did you check oil before that service? Wonder if they found coolant in the oil.....

OP
OP
ladysera

ladysera

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Also forcing the oil change is curious - did you check oil before that service? Wonder if they found coolant in the oil.....
I had gotten it changed at Valvoline around 10,500 miles but they had not changed the air filter (they were out) so that was pretty dirty. I honestly don’t know about the state of the actual oil but I would assume it wasn’t bad.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ladysera

There has to be another Jeep dealership in your general locale. I would definitely take to another dealer even if you have to wait a few days for an appointment. Let FCA know where you are taking it to.

DO, let the dealership Service Writer at the dealership know the case # FCA gave you... Give to him right away..

Knowing FCA is involved/watching does make a difference...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that looks like the exact same symptoms. Of course, they've now replaced every hose, the thermostat, and the water pump and still have no idea what it is... and now I apparently have to wait for 10 days with no vehicle to drive before they can again tell me they don't know what to do.

Sorry! Just super frustrated!
No worries. I would be too.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I had gotten it changed at Valvoline around 10,500 miles but they had not changed the air filter (they were out) so that was pretty dirty. I honestly don’t know about the state of the actual oil but I would assume it wasn’t bad.
I hate to ask but have you considered taking the Jeep to your local or family mom/pop mechanic? It will be good to have them diagnose the problem for you at least. It will cost you out of pocket but I find mom/pop shops much better esp if you have a good relationship with them.

My father, my brother and I go to the same mechanic since 2006 and we now have a very trustworthy relationship with them where we help each other out with personal things as well occasionally. So far I have not had any major issues with my 2020 JLUR 3.6/8spd auto but God forbid if I do I will be taking it to my mechanic rather than a stealership with incompetent or dishonest technicians (notice I did not call them mechanics) even if the Jeep is still under warranty due to the trust and competence factor.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Are you sure that it is really overheating?

OP
OP
ladysera

ladysera

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Are you sure that it is really overheating?
I am 99% sure it is *not* actually overheating. If it were really overheating, it wouldn’t immediately go back to normal. I have mentioned multiple times that I think it could be a bad sensor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ladysera

ladysera

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Quick update and thanks to everyone who responded:

when FCA said we needed a dealer appointment and the dealer told us 10 days, my husband and I drove over there and sat until the head of service was available. He listened to all our concerns and seems to understand now. It may be lip service, but I really don’t want to pay out-of-pocket for this yet, so I will give the dealer one more chance at this.

We have one other dealership in town so that’s our next option, and I will be updating the FCA folks now, as well.

Again, thank you all so much!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I am 99% sure it is *not* actually overheating. If it were really overheating, it wouldn’t immediately go back to normal. I have mentioned multiple times that I think it could be a bad sensor.
Risky business to assume anything, it does seem odd, I wonder if they actually found any coolant leaks at all or just got warranty to pay them for part swaps.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Quick update and thanks to everyone who responded:

when FCA said we needed a dealer appointment and the dealer told us 10 days, my husband and I drove over there and sat until the head of service was available. He listened to all our concerns and seems to understand now. It may be lip service, but I really don’t want to pay out-of-pocket for this yet, so I will give the dealer one more chance at this.

We have one other dealership in town so that’s our next option, and I will be updating the FCA folks now, as well.

Again, thank you all so much!
@ladysera

That Service Manager knows FCA is watching now. That alone got him to behave as he did .. Also... When you have issues it is best to go in and talk to Management versus talking to them on the phone..

Since you have FCA involved you are way way better off..

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I bought my 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.0 turbo engine) with 9 miles on it August 31, 2018. I live pretty close to work, so I don't drive it as much as I'd like, so I'm having issues that most people would have encountered in the first year, probably.

At 8488 miles, it started leaking fluid. I had to take it in to the dealer twice before that was fixed, totaling a stay of 9 days. The first time for that, they tightened the water pump inlet tube fastener and added more coolant. The second time (8525 miles) they replaced the water pump, the inlet gasket, and added more coolant. Everything was good for a while.

At 12061 miles, it started overheating. It was odd - it would be fine, then the fan would spin up, sounding like an airliner waiting to take off, the temperature gauge would start to creep up, and then it would be in the red and dinging at me like crazy. This would last for about a minute and then it would go back to normal as if nothing happened at all. Also, if you opened the hood during the overheating "episodes" though, there was absolutely no indication that it was actually overheating. Took it to the dealer (visit 1 for this issue) and was told they found an issue with the quick connect valve and t valve and that they were replacing those. They also replaced the heater hose inlet from the thermostat, the coolant bottle inlet hose, and the actual thermostat. Everything worked just fine for three months, but at 12928 miles, it started to overheat again. This time (visit 2) the dealer said it was primarily due to air in the system (and they basically implied that the previous fix was the problem but didn't put that into writing) and they "burped the system" and returned it to us. At 13750 miles, it happened again. The notation this time was “coolant bottle leaking and inlet hose leaking at quick connect warping on cap's O ring - replaced all parts” and they replaced the coolant recovery bottle, coolant recovery bottle cap, and coolant bottle outlet hose. They also insisted that I get an oil change (which was NOT covered under warranty) and returned it to us. Driving it home (less than 5 miles) it smelled like burning oil, so I popped open the hood and checked the dipstick to find they'd overfilled it (it was a good inch above the max line). I turned around and drove back so the service manager could make me wait another 45 minutes while they fixed that issue. It was in with the dealer for a total of 10-11 days for all of that.

I drove to work and back a few times with no issues. Then I drove to a friend's house (about 30 miles away). When I went to leave that evening, the Jeep would not idle. It was sputtering and had no acceleration (tried to drive about 20 feet) and the check engine light was on and dinging at me. I parked it back in their driveway and had them drive me home. This was at 13981 miles. Since it was a Saturday and the dealer's Service Department was not open on Sunday, my husband and I both left voicemails for them to call us and waited. On Monday, we were told to use the Jeep app to have it towed since it is still under warranty. Since the dealership was more than 20 miles away, we ended up paying $120 out of pocket to get it towed there. This time we were told it was due to an “arced spark plug” and the notes say “internal short on spark plug #2.” They replaced ONE SPARK PLUG and said it was ready. My husband and I were both pretty fed up and actually got them to agree to replace all the spark plugs. They test drove it for a while (they put about 12 miles on it themselves and returned it at 13930 miles) and we thought it would be all set.

Fast forward to last night. I'm idling in a drive-thru and it overheated again. At 14425 miles.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do at this point. I have zero confidence in the vehicle's reliability and don't want to drive it anywhere out of town, much less into the mountains. I feel like I have a super-expensive lawn ornament and the dealer does not seem to want to find the actual problem. I also think that we may have a lemon situation, but since it's been three years since we purchased it (even though it's under 15k miles) I don't know that we have much recourse.

We are taking it in first thing this morning after they open up, but I feel like they're going to just tell us it's another hose or leaking seal. It seems like they keep treating the symptoms and not actually trying to find the problem. I'm so frustrated that I am ready to trade it in for something else.

Sorry for the long post - I just really need some advice.
Same problem 3 times makes it a lemon, right? Time to start the process and get another Jeep.
If that doesn't work, get it fixed and immediately trade it in.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Same problem 3 times makes it a lemon, right? Time to start the process and get another Jeep.
If that doesn't work, get it fixed and immediately trade it in.
Hard to make the case here, given that the records would show different components being fixed each time.
Sponsored