Sponsored

Ordering a JL today... resale value?

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
One thing to consider is what you might want to add later down the road might be cheaper to have the factory install.

Look at the tow package with the aux switches. If you pieces it together with OEM items, it’s way more than if it’s factory installed

will it get you the $800 on resale? probably not but will cost more to install before you trade/sell it
Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I think you’ll see similar depreciation with either the Sport or the Sport S, so just get what makes you happy. When I got my JKU I had a base Sport and I was perfectly happy with it until I had kids, then I wished I had gotten a Sport S. Before I ordered my JLU I considered used and I didn’t look at any base Sports. There will always be buyers for either, and both have great resale values.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I just don't understand the concept of a Jeep as a financial investment.

Buy what you like or can afford. Get it dirty. Have fun with it. Sell it. Repeat.

Last edited:

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just don't understand the concept of a Jeep as a financial investment.

By what you like or can afford. Get it dirty. Have fun with it. Sell it. Repeat.
Unfortunately, the insane car market will probably cause this to happen. When used cars are going for MSRP or slightly over not counting inflation it changes how people look at purchases.

look at limited edition: toys, sneakers and even bourbon. People buy them just to sell and make money.The same will probably happen with Jeeps until the supply chain catches up with demand

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
A stripped model could take longer to sell but as long as you have some options, buyers are more willing to take pot luck. As long as it isn't bottom of the barrel options wise.
Having owned and sold several modestly equipped vehicles, I've had the opposite experience. Some buyers simply don't want accessory L or option packages G, Q & S, and have expressed their pleasant surprise that I had for sale a truck, etc. that didn't have the accessory catalog thrown at it. Said differently: They'd rather make their own choices with a well-maintained blank template, which is usually what I had listed for sale. I understand and agree with this preference.

Maybe the foregoing will vary by geography. I live in a fairly conservative area, and I know what I see on the roads every day. Perhaps in other parts of the country, I might not sell a Sport as quickly as the fellow who has a garishly modified Rubicon listed for sale.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I can tell you that I literally just sold my 2019 JL back to the dealership because they offered me $2000 more than what I paid for it! This is a crazy time for the automobile industry, thanks to you know what. I couldn't refuse. I left the dealership with no payment and an $8000 dollar check. I still have my 2021 JLU. They also wanted to buy it! But, I do need a vehicle. My Jeep was a basic Sport S, soft top, with only the wheels upgraded and an automatic. Do I think this "resale" value will last? Nope. Jeeps hold their value well, but this is just crazy at the moment because the factories can't get the chips for the computers! :like:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Also, basic models seem to age better than high trim levels. The fancy ones have trim options that go out of style or break more quickly than base models. The new High Altitude models with painted to match everything and gloss black 20" wheels will look very dated in a few years and those painted bumpers will show every rock chip and rub mark. Leather that isn't cared for will begin to crack and eventually split, exposing the foam and looking terrible. Cloth usually needs a good cleaning to look presentable again.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I just sold my beloved 2018 JLU Sport S with 6spd manual, 3.5" lift, 17" Fuel rims, steel bumper, winch, aux lights, Premium soft top, tow package, MOPAR running boards and LED head and tail lights. I only had the 5" UConnect radio, not even satellite. I got it new for $38k not including an upside down trade of $2k and tax and license. 3 years later, I owed $28,000.00 and was offered $35,000.00 when I traded it in on a 2021 RAM 1500 Built To Serve 4x4. I lost net $3k from purchase and made $7K on my loan. My add on's were less than $3k all in. I put 50,000 miles on this beast before selling it. From a financial perspective, if you factor in mileage deductions, I came out wayyy ahead with just this Sport S. Also, because I got a manual, which is rare here in Southern California, I actually got a higher value based on market adjustment even though KBB deducts for the transmission.

Go figure...
Sponsored