MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I had my new 18 JLR in for first oil service and looked like someone carried something like brake fluid or oil in passenger seat and they denied it. They gave me a discount on two new skins seat and back... I took it to independent upholstery shop we put on the skin. Filed a insurance claim to my insurance company and they filed against the dealer insurance company. Note I had to pay my deductible but if the dealers insurance company paid the full amount I would get my deductible back which I did. I do not go to this dealer anymore...
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You'd never know it by the shop rate these dealerships are charging. Service is typically the biggest money maker for a dealership, and used car sales.
Just recently, I had to pay a fixed diagnostic fee for the dealer's Svc Dept. to troubleshoot a no-heat issue in Offspring's Honda. I was quoted $139.00; when I reflexively raised my eyebrows, I was told by the advisor that it's for one hour of labor.

Mm. Nice work if you can get it.

I have always gotten oil changes at the dealership during the warranty period out of the fear that If the engine grenades they canā€™t say ā€œ oil hasnā€™t been changed according to warranty requirements"

how do you ā€œprove ā€œ you changed it yourself?
  • The Magnusonā€“Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637), as mentioned.
  • My oil filter storage box has any number of receipts from Advance Auto, etc. in it. Each one documents the purchase of API SP synthetic 5W-30, and MO-339 OEM oil filters. I also record the date that I change the oil and filter, and the mileage on the vehicle, on an Excel spreadsheet.
  • I send used oil samples to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis, too. If my receipts and spreadsheet aren't enough for an obstinate dealership, I can produce professional reports that authenticate submission and processing of said samples, on certain dates and at certain mileage figures.
Let them try to stonewall my claim. I'm ready.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLU Sport S, ā€˜16 Silverado
Just recently, I had to pay a fixed diagnostic fee for the dealer's Svc Dept. to troubleshoot a no-heat issue in Offspring's Honda. I was quoted $139.00; when I reflexively raised my eyebrows, I was told by the advisor that it's for one hour of labor.

Mm. Nice work if you can get it.
The tech doesn't see anywhere NEAR that money. If they did, you'd see a lot more "trained" mechanics.

That pays 2 or 3 salaries (service advisor, reception, mechanic, detailer), the bays, lights, heat, coffee, soda, etc. Doesn't make it worth it but people bitch about a lot of things in dealerships they don't get like loaners, coffee, updates, clean waiting rooms, rides, lots of lifts, lots of light, etc. then bitch about sky high costs.

You can't have it both ways........

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
The tech doesn't see anywhere NEAR that money. If they did, you'd see a lot more "trained" mechanics.

That pays 2 or 3 salaries (service advisor, reception, mechanic, detailer), the bays, lights, heat, coffee, soda, etc. Doesn't make it worth it but people bitch about a lot of things in dealerships they don't get like loaners, coffee, updates, clean waiting rooms, rides, lots of lifts, lots of light, etc. then bitch about sky high costs.

You can't have it both ways........
And when you start complaining the manager wonā€™t hesitate to fight back. Just stay calm even regardless of the situation and it more than likely will get resolved. I could have chewed out the manager but I want to hear what he had to say.

Na Kalohe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Willys
Always do a walkaround after servicing. Once you leave the parking lot it's your word against theirs and they have their in-house legal counsel. You might be SOL unless the dealer is honest.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
And when you start complaining the manager wonā€™t hesitate to fight back. Just stay calm even regardless of the situation and it more than likely will get resolved. I could have chewed out the manager but I want to hear what he had to say.
Absolutely spot on. People who come in with "guns blazing" set themselves up for failure almost immediately. A rational, intelligent conversation is many more times than not going to result in a much greater reward.

Sam

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I agree. A mechanic can make lots of money but it comes at an expense. For example, they need to supply all their own tools (which is expensive). Top it off, then they get paid flat rate. So that means, if a mechanic gets a job that pays 6 hours of labor and they can get it done in 4, they get paid for 6. This is nothing new as it's been around this way since at least the early 60's. Thus, dealers (plus many repair shops) want their mechanics to get the job done as fast as possible.

What else happens is that the service manager knows which mechanics are the good ones are. Thus, they get the more technical jobs. The not so good ones get things like tire rotations and oil changes. So, the good tech is penalized because he will get the job done right even though it will take the full time that the manufacturer lists to pay for it. The bad one cranks out a 30 minute oil change in 10 minutes and makes 20 minutes of money. He can repeat this all day long and thus make more than the good mechanic. Thus the good mechanic leaves and goes elsewhere.

Where I work, it's interesting. I only get paid an hourly rate. This is because I'm part time and can take off whenever I want. This is because I do engineering in racing and that pays way better (that's a seasonable job). I only do the regular service just because they are friends and I like to see local independent shops survive. Right now, getting a good mechanic is really hard. In the end, I'm overkill for where I work but I rarely have a comeback and it usually takes me longer to do a job, as compared to the other guys. Thus I get the more difficult ones.

For example, I just did a boatload of work on an old Dodge truck that is a farm truck. It was parked for 5 years in a field (thus it was a mess). Now it's back up and running and the owner is happy. Plus I took my time and didn't break 20 other things just to rush the job. Same thing for a 1989 Jeep I did. In the end, I even fixed his FOD (those are vacuum operated) because that thing wasn't working for years (thus it was only 2wd). Owner is over the top as he can now use it in the winter. It's the little things. Right now it's fall, does anyone take out all of the leaves on the cowl and throw them away, so you have a clean cowl? I do. Why? Because that's what I do. Does anyone notice? So far only 1 out of 100 do.
Yes everything you said is so true, but what about the ridiculous pay scale that gives the service writer, service manager and general manager a cut of the service work. This is where some of the real underlining problems come from. So many people are clueless as to what these people get paid and how they make commissions from nothing they do. This is just one reason there are no real mechanics anymore. A real mechanic can fix anything and is offended to be called a technician.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

My "Nice work" comment wasn't meant to imply that the service tech would receive all or even most of the quoted diagnostic fee. We know full well that the light bill has to be paid, and that it has to come from somewhere. No free lunches.

No, the larger observation here is that hourly service rates are skyrocketing; witness other posts in this thread that make my $139.00 expense seem like a bargain in comparison.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I think this is a reason I had mine completely XPELd. No telling what you are going to get if you have to take it in.

Sam

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is a reason I had mine completely XPELd. No telling what you are going to get if you have to take it in.

Sam
I was planning on getting it PPF'd Coated and paint corrected that weekend lol. My luck.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Have any of you seen that paint film after 7-8 years in the sun? Baked to a yellow crackled crust.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
This post is why I resist taking any of my vehicles to any service place, especially dealers, unless absolutely necessary. I have learned over the years to do just about everything I can on my own.

My first 392 oil change I did on my own at my own cost even though it was free at the dealer.

Just on the last 2 Jeeps, the damage / mistake / lie / problem rate is about 80% of the visits. That's not me being picky, it is me seeing the damage they caused, or spotted the part missing, etc when I pick it up. I always take photos of the entire vehicles and close ups of the service are the morning I drop it off.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Those of you who allow the dealer to do your tire rotations, look at your wheels around the lug nuts and the actual lug nuts . It bet you will find all kinds of dings, scrapes, nicks and beat up lug nuts caused by careless use of an impact. Usually the lug nut seat on the wheel will be galled from way too much torque being applied when tightening.