Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yep, I can’t lie… I’ve done it once at BMW in 1993. On a damn 1993 M3 none the less.
Many, many years ago a wise mechanic once told me “there are two types of mechanics in the world, the type that has started an engine without oil and they type that is going to start an engine without oil”
I laughed at him at the time but immediately remember him the day I started the boss’s car.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Do NOT pour your new oil in the engine before reinstalling the drain plug.
I cannot confirm or deny that I too have done that..... 😆

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Sorry to hear my friend - I hate spilling oil on the floor of the garage, such a pain to get it clean again.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear my friend - I hate spilling oil on the floor of the garage, such a pain to get it clean again.
The hardest part is not getting oil all over your engine when you're wringing the towel out over that little hole on the top.

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
A few (many) years ago I might have finished the oil change on my sports car and started the car watching the oil pressure gauge. But for some mysterious reason the needle didn't move. I shut the engine off, peeked underneath and noticed a large dark puddle. That's when I remembered the oil drain plug in my pocket. I cleaned it up, but the gentleman at the car hobby shop that had to complete the spill documentation was not too happy. I'm sure the EPA still has a file on me....:bandit:

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Oh, I didn’t spill a drop, lucky for me the drain pan was still in place.

Sponsored

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
Also, make sure you drain the oil first ;) Or not, as I pretended to as a prank on my Bronco friends for April Fools - If you are into puzzles, my post has a hidden message that identifies it as a prank, see if you can find it ;)

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/first-time-doing-oil-overflowing.69993/
I wasn't sure if you were joking. So, I reread it. Each time, it was still funny. Every time! That was a good post. Hope everyone had a laugh. Everyone should relax sometimes. Could've been disastrous if it was true. Oh, that would've been a mess! Don't really try it. Even on the first of April!