Sponsored

Off road insurance coverage?

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I rolled my TJ off a 700' cliff off road. Insurance paid for recovery and vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I rolled my TJ off a 700' cliff off road. Insurance paid for recovery and vehicle.
Holy crap. Glad you made it out of that one. Assuming this is on a designated shelf road somewhere? Black bear, chicken corners or the like?

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Holy crap. Glad you made it out of that one. Assuming this is on a designated shelf road somewhere? Black bear, chicken corners or the like?
It was in Angeles National Forest. Recovery gone bad. Nobody was injured.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So far, I feel comfortable that I could argue for coverage on designated routes, in national forests/parks/etc. I may be a bit concerned with OHV parks from now on... I just wish my agent would give me a straight answer. It is concerning šŸ˜

Sponsored

kbp810

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Have had my share of off-road related claims over the years; including off-road parks. Was always covered without question, though it's always fun to answer that "what was the nearest crossroads where the accident occurred" question, lol. Like mentioned earlier on in the thread, I've been told the only time it wouldn't be covered, if it was related to a timed competitive event.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Insurance is different from state to state, so read your policy.
So far, I feel comfortable that I could argue for coverage on designated routes, in national forests/parks/etc. I may be a bit concerned with OHV parks from now on... I just wish my agent would give me a straight answer. It is concerning šŸ˜

Both of the pics that posted of rolled Jeeps were in ORV parks. The Gladiator was at Bundy Hill Off Road park, the 2dr Jeep was at Bear Wallow that is part of the Hatfield and McCoy OHV recreation area. So I would not be cconcerned about OHV parks

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
For the love of GAWD you don't have to be concerned in OHV parks, "jeep" trails, driving across your brother's corn field, making your way across country, etc. You have to be concerned if there is an exclusion in your policy language (racing).

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You don't have to argue for coverage. If you purchased a policy and paid the premium you are covered, the contract is "bound" and you have coverage for those things that are not excluded.

It's not concerning. You have a copy of your policy, what is a personal vehicle, what is a covered vehicle, what is a collision, then read the exclusions.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Whatever the agent says is not your policy.
Read your policy for yourself to know coverage and exclusions...

If you are not comfortable with contract language ask your attorney to explain it, not the insurance sales agent.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Agree with everything said thus far, and will add that if you ARE trying to get an answer from your agent, MAKE SURE you get it via email (ie. in writing) vs on the phone.

That way, if, for whatever reason, you need to argue in the future, you've got their "word" in writing for the legal folks. The insurance company could still argue that their employee isn't their policy-writer, etc, but it puts the onus on them to prove that it wasn't a company statement, as opposed to the onus being on you to prove that they said it at all.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Insurance underwriter here. Read your policy. Look for terms like all perils and exclusions. Those are the key terms. If itā€™s not specifically excluded then typically itā€™s covered. This is personal auto. Commercial Auto is a whole other ball of wax. Got all sorts of coverages and symbols. Usually most personal auto pols are all perils and will typically exclude racing and commercial use type exposures. Doesnā€™t mean adjuster canā€™t try to deny you if you roll down a hill while off roading but doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t fight it either. Depends on amount of claim. Lawyers cost the money. Why the companies will pay out vs fighting. Legal costs are insane. Insurance policies are contracts of adhesionā€¦means company wrote it so it will be interpreted by a judge as much in the favor of the policyholder as possible. Most carriers will not tell you upfront if a hypothetical situation is covered. They will refer you to your policy. Cheers.

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Whatever the agent says is not your policy.
Read your policy for yourself to know coverage and exclusions...

If you are not comfortable with contract language ask your attorney to explain it, not the insurance sales agent.
Get it in writing from your agent and it can become your policy!

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
All of the contracts I have reviewed start with only the policy defines the agreement...

Read your policy, don't ask a salesperson for an opinion, worthless.

Muddzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR (sold), 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
I had a 2013 JTUR w/35s and wheels +2in lift + Gobi rack + a few other minor mods. I'm in NJ and insured through Geico. I didn't think about getting modifications insurance and fortunately I never had to use it. I sold that and bought a 2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTUR) which had more mods...37s setup w2.5in lift, king coil shocks/lift, warn winch, bed rack, sliders and armor and a few minor mods that added to about $15k in mods. Geico insured this based on VIN but after owning it for a bit I decided I should get modifications insurance. Geico didn't know what to do at first but finally I found someone to take a list of the modifications and value. My added premium was only about $115/yr and all was fine for 6 months.

I just received a letter from Geico stating that they won't insure my JTUR anymore because "The following Acceptance Criteria was not met: Unacceptable Vehicle Type". In summary their reason is "The insured auto is modified or changed in conditions so as to increase the risk substantially."

I know this doesn't relate to the off-road coverage debate but I found it odd that they initially insured it but then later decided it wasn't worth the risk (which to me indicates (but doesn't prove) that they think I was taking it off-road). BTW, I also have 3 other cars, a boat and a motorcycle insured through them. I guess I'm shopping.
Sponsored