Sponsored

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Any feedback on the actual camera now that it has been mounted a bit? How is it holding up? Do you still like the picture? Everything working as planned? Thanks.
Mine is still working great for me. No issues with it ever not working, and it hasn't gotten in the way of anything. The picture definitely isn't as clear as the rear camera, but it's not bad either. Overall, I've been really happy with the way it turned out.

If you really want to feel like you're in a rocket ship, turn the front camera on while you're driving down the road. :)

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Ignore my question. I found the answer buried in the questions on the product page. :)

"These pigtails make supplying remote power, when you have to, easier. Inside the extension cable there are 3 conductors - a video signal conductor (connected to the central pin of each RCA plug), a +12VDC power conductor (connected to the red pigtails), and a shared ground for both (connected to the perimeter grounds on each RCA plug). If used, attach the red pigtail on the non camera end of this optional extension cable to +12VDC power, and the red pigtail on the camera end to the red wire of the regular camera cable. Assuming whatever display you are using is also grounded, then a separate ground is not needed and the black wire in the regular camera cable can be ignored (just tape it off). "
Great job with the write up. Did you ground the black wire on the regular camera cable or tape it off?

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Great job with the write up. Did you ground the black wire on the regular camera cable or tape it off?
On the camera end, I found a good ground on the bumper and grounded it there. I couldn't get the camera to work otherwise.

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
... Just make sure it is a forward facing camera. In amazon.ca or amazon.com just search for "front camera for car" ...
Why a forward facing camera? Is it only to get rid of the lines?

Been thinking that having lines on the front camera might be a good thing. Especially helpful if they were keyed into the steering just like the rear camera lines are. Then you could pick a line and not have to guess if you're on target ... your spotter gets to stay in the Jeep more. Straight lines would not be as advantageous, but could still be helpful.

I'm going to have to add a camera sooner-or-later ... or, stop taking my wife on the trails. With a non-adjustable passenger seat and a short wife it creates a limited sight line for her. Her audible sucking of air as we go over the various ridges we have here in Arizona, is distracting!

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Why a forward facing camera? Is it only to get rid of the lines?

Been thinking that having lines on the front camera might be a good thing. Especially helpful if they were keyed into the steering just like the rear camera lines are. Then you could pick a line and not have to guess if you're on target ... your spotter gets to stay in the Jeep more. Straight lines would not be as advantageous, but could still be helpful.

I'm going to have to add a camera sooner-or-later ... or, stop taking my wife on the trails. With a non-adjustable passenger seat and a short wife it creates a limited sight line for her. Her audible sucking of air as we go over the various ridges we have here in Arizona, is distracting!
The camera I purchased had an option of having the guide lines or not having them. It was a matter of cutting a wire to disable it. I don't think tying it into the steering would be a straight forward process, but then again, all things are possible with time and money. :)

I think the reason for the front facing camera is a matter of how the image is presented. e.g. a rear facing camera may show things reversed or upside down unless there is a means of changing the "mode" of the camera.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you route the cable through the firewall?

Sponsored

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Where did you route the cable through the firewall?
I ran mine through a grommet in the firewall. There's one on the left side behind the dash which may just be a blank for you, so you might need to drill a small hole in it to pass the wire through. I had already used mine for passing some other wiring through on a previous project, so I just added the camera wire along side the others.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I ran mine through a grommet in the firewall. There's one on the left side behind the dash which may just be a blank for you, so you might need to drill a small hole in it to pass the wire through. I had already used mine for passing some other wiring through on a previous project, so I just added the camera wire along side the others.
Assuming drivers side (left) under the dash above the brake pedal somewhere?
Thanks

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Thanks
Yea, it's reasonably high up under the dash if I remember correctly. I'd look, but my wife is out and about with her Jeep.

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Can you do this with the 7" display or only the 8.4" display? Do I need to leave the Tazer module connected or can I disconnect the Tazer module after I have enabled the cam input?

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks
As per Z-Automotive's install instructions, if you have the automatic transmission, there's a clutch pass-through grommet that you can use to run the wiring through.
Sponsored