Sponsored

Spinrite

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
I tested my factory battery today in my new Jeep Wrangler Willy 2020. With the battery tester and our batteries are AGM @ 650 CCA. Anyways the battery measures at and exceeds the label. It tested out at 1000 CCA. We're getting a pretty good battery from the factory.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

Sponsored

OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Reading alittle on Interstate and Optima.... both $250+.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@ResqFE Ron: assuming you're running a 3.6L, is your ESS/Aux battery (tested in isolation) fine?

More: your initial question may (or may not) also be a product of what, if anything, you do with the rig that particularly taxes the batteries (e.g. are you big on overlanding) and the money you're willing to spend on this.

At the high end of solutions lies the Genesis Kit https://www.genesisoffroad.com/jl-dual-battery-kit .

Still more, people have wired their JLs to operate on only the main battery--a route I'm personally fine with if you don't care for ESS and disable it.

As been said before, most of the time the two batteries are hooked up in parallel in the 3.6L, including when the rig's at rest and no alternator is running. This allows one battery to steal power from the other, where the ESS/Aux battery is usually the thief.

Here again--this may just be a need for a simple main battery swap.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
If you decide to replace the main battery only, many have replaced it with a larger group 94 battery. There is a removable plastic tab in the battery tray to support the smaller factory battery. The group 94 will fill the entire stock tray.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Driving only short trips will eventually lead to an early battery death. Take your Jeep out on the highway a couple times a month for 30 miles or more so you can get a good charge on it. Or use a trickle charger like many motorcycles have.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
In my ram I tried the sears gold, optima and the interstate megatron and each failed within a year and a half. Best battery so far was from the dealership oem it lasted exactly three years.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In my ram I tried the sears gold, optima and the interstate megatron and each failed within a year and a half. Best battery so far was from the dealership oem it lasted exactly three years.
I’ve had interstates last 8 years,I think you got a bad battery.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
in today's times, batteries are not what they use to be. also the newer vehicles are draining the batteries (even with the vehicle turned off) i've been a die hard fan because they last a good 8+ years out of them. i ran a die hard agm in my 07 grand cherokee and it crapped out in 3 years. so i swapped to interstate and had no problems with them. when the oem battery goes in the jl, i'll most likely will go with the interstate or if i can either odysess or otima. i will go with a larger size (group 94) and a higher cca.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If you decide to replace the main battery only, many have replaced it with a larger group 94 battery. There is a removable plastic tab in the battery tray to support the smaller factory battery. The group 94 will fill the entire stock tray.
the group 94 will fit along with the ess battery with no problem?
Sponsored