Not using ESS feature anymore... Here's why

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I remember, 30 or so years ago, riding around with my Grandpa in his old (even then it was old) Chevy. He would turn it off when going down hill to save gas. Who knew he was ahead of his time!
Not only is that illegal nearly everywhere, it’s really stupid. On modern vehicles, the fuel supply cuts out when coasting anyway.
Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
I would take your car into your Jeep dealer under warranty, and have this possible anomaly checked out by your Jeep Service Dept. Don't let it fester. We don't know if this spike is normal, a false indication, whatever. We just don't know. This is why you have a factory warranty, juxtaposed to (frankly) relying upon strangers on the internet to "diagnose" your car. Don't guess. Let your dealer's Service Department diagnose this behavior, and then have them document this for your records.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I would take your car into your Jeep dealer under warranty, and have this possible anomaly checked out by your Jeep Service Dept. Don't let it fester. We don't know if this spike is normal, a false indication, whatever. We just don't know. This is why you have a factory warranty, juxtaposed to (frankly) relying upon strangers on the internet to "diagnose" your car. Don't guess. Let your dealer's Service Department diagnose this behavior, and then have them document this for your records.
It’s things like this that keep dealerships occupied with nonsense problems instead of repairing vehicles.

Luckrider

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2004 Rubicon
I can't believe people are concerned about ~65psi of oil pressure. I helped my parents buy their 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L Pentastar back in 2010. It now has 140,000+ miles and still pulls like new despite plenty of hard miles, including thousands with a loaded trailer behind it. It isn't unusual at all to see 65+psi and even up to 80+ from regular driving.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Take a peek at this article to get an idea of what I'm talking about concerning filter bypass under high pressure conditions. Specifically this sentence from the first paragraph: "Regardless of the location of the valves, they share the same responsibility and provide protection for the engine in the event of a filter restriction or during periods of high oil pressure or pressure surges."

https://noln.net/2016/07/31/bypassing-oil-filter/
Sorry Unless you purchased a 2018 Jeep JL in 2016 this does not APPLY TO THE JL. LOL NOT AN ISSUE PUSH THE BUTTON

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
It also helps to point out that the effectiveness of engine start-stop systems can fluctuate for a number of reasons.

“Fuel savings will vary depending on the type of start-stop system, driving style and driving cycle,” explained Recke. “The average U.S. driver with a basic system will save around 4 percent.” He also explained that more advanced systems, like those used in mild or full hybrids, can improve savings even more.

A 4 percent improvement in fuel economy isn’t too shabby, but Recke pointed out that can change drastically based on what kind of driver you are and the type of commute you have. A city driver, for example, who can spend about a quarter of their drive time stuck idling in traffic can see an improvement up to 8 percent by driving a car with an engine start-stop system. On the other hand, aggressive drivers who roll through their stops or drivers who spend much of their time on the highway will see less of an improvement on their fuel consumption.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
What language is that? I don't speak Australian.
It’s the same guy that made a video complaining about the JL’s 1 star safety rating that is based primarily on it not coming standard with automatic emergency braking and blind spot monitoring.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
It’s the same guy that made a video complaining about the JL’s 1 star safety rating that is based primarily on it not coming standard with automatic emergency braking and blind spot monitoring.
he certainly likes to hear himself talk. It took 15 mins to say what could have been easily argued (with sources) in less than 5.

Sponsored

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
Has anyone tried to disable the switch? On my ATV we disable the seatbelt by splicing the wires together because we installed a harness, wondering will that work on jeep. I hate the ESS......is there a way to keep it off all the time without having to hit the switch??? Hmmm.....

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Yes, the video with comments based on facts.
We don't need to like it but can't dispute the results of the tests.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Has anyone tried to disable the switch? On my ATV we disable the seatbelt by splicing the wires together because we installed a harness, wondering will that work on jeep. I hate the ESS......is there a way to keep it off all the time without having to hit the switch??? Hmmm.....
If you disable the switch you’ll never be able to turn it off.
You’re making life too hard. Just assimilate and let the thing do what it does.

DogsOnTheRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Now that my brakes are bedded in, 2000+ miles, the brake pedal has to be pushed WAY DOWN to activate ESS. It was NEVER activating for me. Now, if I am stuck at a long light, I press the brake WAY DOWN and it turns off, but it is an effort. It's a completely voluntary thing, no need to push any buttons.

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
If you disable the switch you’ll never be able to turn it off.
You’re making life too hard. Just assimilate and let the thing do what it does.
Or, just unplug the hood switch and disable the annoyance?
Sponsored