Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If you truly dislike ESS and that’s the only thing about the JL you dislike I would suggest you get with Steve from Smart Stop/Start, I have been running his SSS module for a few months and it’s perfect and it literally takes less than 15 mins to install and there is nothing to do but plug it in

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Maybe it's just me but I just don't have a problem with it. I have the turbo which some say it seems to work "smoother" on but I just don't find it intrusive at all. Can barely hear it and can barely feel it. Motor back on in .3 of a second. Unless your first in line at an intersection and like to jackrabbit through it like you're at the drag strip (not a good idea unless you don't mind the high probability of getting T-boned) you're sitting there for a few seconds anyway. Maybe I just accept it as the way of the future and also realize it's gone if needed in one press of a button. It does however make yet another convenient excuse for the guys who can't afford a new Jeep to say it's a "deal-breaker or I would have one". /cynical :)

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
If you truly dislike ESS and that’s the only thing about the JL you dislike I would suggest you get with Steve from Smart Stop/Start, I have been running his SSS module for a few months and it’s perfect and it literally takes less than 15 mins to install and there is nothing to do but plug it in
I found the thread on it. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Either way, I'm done with ESS. With it disabled, I do not have any fluctuations in oil pressure it stays at 30psi at all speeds.
That cannot be true. Stomp on the gas a little and get above 3000rpm and you'll see the oil pressure jump to 65-70psi. This is by design.

I would take your car into your Jeep dealer under warranty, and have this possible anomaly checked out by your Jeep Service Dept. Don't let it fester. We don't know if this spike is normal, a false indication, whatever. We just don't know. This is why you have a factory warranty, juxtaposed to (frankly) relying upon strangers on the internet to "diagnose" your car. Don't guess. Let your dealer's Service Department diagnose this behavior, and then have them document this for your records.
This is how it is designed. It has a two stage oil pump. My guess is that it is programmed to jump to high pressure on start up to get oil where it needs to be quickly before you accelerate. Frankly, this gives me more confidence in the longevity of the motor despite ESS. Oil is getting where it needs to get to before you accelerate from the stop light.

65psi is nothing in the world of lubrication and hydraulics. Older vehicles had fixed gear driven oil pumps and would rise with engine speed until the bypass value opened. Good rule of thumb was +10psi per 1000rpm. There is nothing to worry about here.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
That was obvious, but you were replying to someione who thinks it is. You said they were making life difficult. It's not difficult to unplug a switch.
It sure was simple to disconnect it....Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
What do you unplug? Hood switch??? Cause this thing is annoying!
That was obvious, but you were replying to someione who thinks it is. You said they were making life difficult. It's not difficult to unplug a switch.
It's even less difficult to not let it bother you. It's a self inflicted problem.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
If that were true, I wouldn't have changed it. The interwebs thank you for your moot opinion.
You bypassed a safety feature because something bothered you that was working by design.
Or you can just let it happen and choose to be ok with it.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
Well my 2019 JL must be smarter than the '18, I disconnected the sensor on the battery and it did nothing. It seem like it didn't bother anything and the ESS still worked.
So I disconnect the hood switch and YES!! it worked! No more start stop at traffic lights....love it! I can now drive in peace, how the JL should run. Thanks for the info! Another happy JL owner!

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
You bypassed a safety feature because something bothered you that was working by design.
Or you can just let it happen and choose to be ok with it.
Ooh, posting something relevant now. Safety feature. What would that be?
Sponsored