Sponsored

No more XR package?

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
If memory serves me they limited the XR in the 392 first for 22 as well. Not sure why. Maybe there is more money in the other models

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Only 11.7% of the current 2023 build sheets are XR. Definitely not the vast majority of them. That's up from 2022's 8.2% though.
Big picture, yes. I was talking about our thread for the 23 orders. It has been about a month since I last checked in on that one so it may have changed. But to me it seemed like a lot of the orders people placed from here were XR packages. It could be I just noticed them more than the other orders too though.

Camohatdude

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have an JLURXR package on order and was given a build date of 9/27 which is today. Dealer called today and said it’s delayed due to parts. They said mid October build potentially but no build date now.

SWAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
Called my sale guy yesterday. He said the XR package for 392 was still locked

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The 392 already comes with a lift, stronger front axle, and beadlock capable wheels so putting the XR on the 392 gives you what, a slightly bigger tire and fender flaps?

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
The 392 already comes with a lift, stronger front axle, and beadlock capable wheels so putting the XR on the 392 gives you what, a slightly bigger tire and fender flaps?
Gears, and overall a lot in value.

kdiff

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Rubicon, 4Runner
4.56 gears with a factory warranty, which my crude estimates are coming out around $3k to have a shop do it. So you’re essentially getting the hinge gate reinforcment, 2”(?) bigger tires, and .5” wider wheels for another $1k. That’s a pretty decent off-road starter package for the price.

Sure you could do the axles yourself if you have the time, tools, and mechanical aptitude. (I would say most people ideally should be able to work on their vehicles to that extent, it doesn’t mean I have the time or necessarily want to.) You could of course get something like a Teraflex hinge, but again, for a starter kit, the XR package is pretty nice. I wanted it as a starter and would have changed parts out over time.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4.56 gears with a factory warranty, which my crude estimates are coming out around $3k to have a shop do it. So you’re essentially getting the hinge gate reinforcment, 2”(?) bigger tires, and .5” wider wheels for another $1k. That’s a pretty decent off-road starter package for the price.

Sure you could do the axles yourself if you have the time, tools, and mechanical aptitude. (I would say most people ideally should be able to work on their vehicles to that extent, it doesn’t mean I have the time or necessarily want to.) You could of course get something like a Teraflex hinge, but again, for a starter kit, the XR package is pretty nice. I wanted it as a starter and would have changed parts out over time.
Does that much HP and Torque need 4.56 gears for 35" tires? All I see that doing is having smaller ring gear teeth that can break easier with that much HP and torque. The stock gate can easily carry a 35" tire and was actually designed for 35s. If you want to go to a 37"+ the weak part of the gate are the hinges and the Mopar gate support doesn't include hinge upgrades. If you want 35s on a 392 you can get 35" tires and custom wheels for less than $4K (especially when you sell you stock 392 wheels and tires) and can come with a tire warranty which the XR tires do not.

IMO the XR is a great deal with the Willys package, a break even with the Rubicon package, and doesn't make sense for the 392.

Sponsored

kdiff

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Rubicon, 4Runner
If you want 35s on a 392 you can get 35" tires and custom wheels for less than $4K (especially when you sell you stock 392 wheels and tires) and can come with a tire warranty which the XR tires do not.
No one has said they’re buying the XR kit for just wheels & tires, but if that’s all you want to consider or you want to pretend that’s all thats in the package, then yes, I agree $4k for the XR package doesn’t make sense.

Does that much HP and Torque need 4.56 gears for 35" tires? All I see that doing is having smaller ring gear teeth that can break easier with that much HP and torque.
Does it need it? That’s a subjective question. With having 4-Low as an option & some patience, one could probably get away 120 hp motor and 2.xx gearing on 40” tires. So do you need all the power in your current vehicle?

It would also be nice for an eventual upgrade to 37” tires.

As far as teeth breaking, it’s full-time 4wd which should offload some of the strain. Also why the factory warranty is nice. I would think this would cover any early premature gear failure. If you’re the type to constantly romp on the throttle then something’s going to break.

Edit: It sounds like you’re not the right audience to buy the 392 with an XR package, which is fine. Regardless, it’s nice to have options. Ideally, I would prefer a slight up charge and just be able to get different gearing and then let me choose my own wheels, tires, tire carrier, etc. aftermarket.

Last edited:

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would also be nice for an eventual upgrade to 37” tires.
If your plan is 37s you will have to replace the lift kit, (including the shocks), the tires, wheels, and tire carrier that the XR package came with. In that scenerio it would be better to just get the 392 and use the $4K for better aftermarket lift, tires, wheels, and tire carrier. And even with 37s a re-gear would not be necessary for a stock 392.

All of that said, I have wasted more than $4K on unnecessary mods before so I would be a hypocrite if I said that it was a complete waste to get the XR with a 392. I also agree that to each their own when it comes to their style, budget, and package selection. My point is just that the return on investment for an XR on a Willys compared to an XR on a 392 is night and day. Great deal with the Willys and meh for the 392.

As far as the teeth, they typically don't break when you "romp on it". The breaks I have seen are when you are trying to pull someone out while in reverse or when you yourself are stuck in 4 low and put it in reverse, overloading the weak side (coast side) of the tooth.

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Does that much HP and Torque need 4.56 gears for 35" tires? All I see that doing is having smaller ring gear teeth that can break easier with that much HP and torque. The stock gate can easily carry a 35" tire and was actually designed for 35s. If you want to go to a 37"+ the weak part of the gate are the hinges and the Mopar gate support doesn't include hinge upgrades. If you want 35s on a 392 you can get 35" tires and custom wheels for less than $4K (especially when you sell you stock 392 wheels and tires) and can come with a tire warranty which the XR tires do not.

IMO the XR is a great deal with the Willys package, a break even with the Rubicon package, and doesn't make sense for the 392.
Regular 392 with 35s is a dog.Been there done that before .Switched to a xr now.And have the better option to go 37s

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's faster ;)

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wasn't the majority of 2022 392's XR even though they shut off the XR 2 months before they shut off the 392?
You're technically correct since it's a hair over 50% with XR:

392s: 5,771
w/XR: 2,891
Sponsored

Last edited: