TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
LOL. Stellantis - King of using platforms for 10+ years is just going to make a sweeping frame change and tub change at the 5-6 year mark? C'mon. NO one in the industry is making changes that quickly to a product line because it doesn't make any financial sense to do so. You might see that next-generation but you absolutely will not see sweeping platform changes like that mid-cycle.

Everyone knows someone's cousin's brother's uncle that works for Jeep and has the inside line on the next Wrangler and it's just damn hilarious to see the crap that gets posted here as fact.
Conversely, what are your qualifications to make this claim?
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I’m not going to play the post your resume game but I’ve worked closely enough with the industry for two decades to know how automotive product planning and manufacturing works, and there will be no major platform changes like you’ve mentioned this early into a platform life. Just not going to happen.

Conversely, what are your qualifications to make this claim?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I’m not going to play the post your resume game but I’ve worked closely enough with the industry for two decades to know how automotive product planning and manufacturing works, and there will be no major platform changes like you’ve mentioned this early into a platform life. Just not going to happen.
You just did. You questioned my "resume" and then countered with your own.

I dunno what your problem is but I couldn't care less what you think about what's happening with the Wrangler. I'm just sharing what i've learned. Want to stay in the dark? Cool.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Ever since the YJ, Jeep has come-up with a major redesign after a decade of production. YJ (1987-1996) TJ (1997-2006) JK (2007-2018) and now JL (2018-most likely 2028). Interior design should see a revamp in 2023, My guess is with a 10-12 inch screen, power seats, dual interior colors and other details like that. You know, things that make the Bronco appealing :)

Don't worry, I've owned Jeeps since the first YJ in fall of 1986 and every model after.... I can predict that history will repeat itself... The majority of present owners will be outraged by the next model, everybody will criticize it, moque it but EVERYBODY will buy it and say its the best wrangler ever made and much better than the JL.

Last edited:

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s just it…I’m not in the dark. Have a great day.

You just did. You questioned my "resume" and then countered with your own.

I dunno what your problem is but I couldn't care less what you think about what's happening with the Wrangler. I'm just sharing what i've learned. Want to stay in the dark? Cool.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You were pretty adamant that a factory V8 Wrangler was never going to happen either..

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I owned up to that and never presented that as anything other than being my opinion which happened to be wrong.

Manufacturing processes and development costs and times are a little more cut and dry.

You were pretty adamant that a factory V8 Wrangler was never going to happen either..

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
there will be no major platform changes like you’ve mentioned this early into a platform life. Just not going to happen.
And I owned up to that and never presented that as anything other than being my opinion which happened to be wrong.

Manufacturing processes and development costs and times are a little more cut and dry.
The above quoted is still opinion yet you're arguing as if it's factual..

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A new frame and tub to accommodate larger wheels and tires is interesting for sure. Larger wheels/tires, additional clearance is something a LOT of Wrangler owners want. Larger wheels/tires is probably the most common and desired option requested. JEEP let Ford and the Bronco beat them to the punch. Has competition forced JEEPs hand to be more dynamic as a company?

We won't know until it is made official somewhere but making changes in 4-5 years is not uncommon for other brands. Every company needs to continuously analyze it's Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. Maybe competition from the Bronco and the merger between FCA and PSA created a "perfect storm" for something as drastic as a new frame and tub so soon? Is Stellantis reacting, adapting and more dynamic now?

Remember the JEEP round table during the pandemic? The top FCA/JEEP guys took questions from us. They wanted to know what we wanted for the Wrangler. They made it clear they actually listen to what customers want. A lot of people mentioned a V8 powered JL. Fast forward a year from that round table and we have a V8 JL today. That seems pretty dynamic for JEEP. Maybe JEEP realizes how much of a threat the Bronco really might be to it's sales? Maybe they realize they need to be more dynamic in today's environment? They realize larger wheels is what a lot of people ask for.

A quote from Morrison.."To continue it's growth trajectory, Morrison says Jeep will continue to look to its customers to hear their feedback and wish lists."

I guess we wait and see?

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And now there is this. It appears Stallantis is getting more dynamic. They are reacting to threats from the Bronco Sasquatch package and it's larger tires.

Not the next gen JM but a peak at where the Wrangler is headed as far as tire sizes for the JL. The Xtreme Recon Package is going to be offered on more models like the WILLYS. Not just the Rubicon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/23/2022-jeep-wrangler-willys-xtreme-recon/

Stratplexi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, BMW 535, Harley CVO Road King, 18 JLUR on order
Occupation
Engineering Director

Its not so cut and dry. Jeep sales offer huge margins and regardless of what folks on this forum believe, the Bronco is a threat to erode sales and the margin. We have already seen Jeep counter with changes. Its not a stretch to believe they would counter further with appropriate frame and tub changes to accommodate what the market is demanding. All one has to do is look around and see all the Jeeps lifted and modified by owners to see a market opportunity. Jeep sees this and more than likely is making investments to capitalize on this. Changing a frame and tub isn’t sending a man to mars and it doesn’t need to take 10 years between major redesigns. Jeep got away with this when there was no competition, the wrangler was a niche market and pricing was not that lucrative. Those days are gone. The Wrangler is now mainstream, pricing is very lucrative in terms of Op Margin and they have real competition.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not so cut and dry. Jeep sales offer huge margins and regardless of what folks on this forum believe, the Bronco is a threat to erode sales and the margin. We have already seen Jeep counter with changes. Its not a stretch to believe they would counter further with appropriate frame and tub changes to accommodate what the market is demanding. All one has to do is look around and see all the Jeeps lifted and modified by owners to see a market opportunity. Jeep sees this and more than likely is making investments to capitalize on this. Changing a frame and tub isn’t sending a man to mars and it doesn’t need to take 10 years between major redesigns. Jeep got away with this when there was no competition, the wrangler was a niche market and pricing was not that lucrative. Those days are gone. The Wrangler is now mainstream, pricing is very lucrative in terms of Op Margin and they have real competition.
Jeep probably has to improve the Wrangler more now that the Bronco is here.

It's not rocket science but there will probably have to be Federal Crash Testing. That might take a while. Or maybe the were planning for it all along?

Other car brands have 4 year product cycles. It is possible Jeep has been planning the tub and frame changes since the Bronco preview.

Last edited:

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Just curious if anyone has seen any possible future sketches of the JM? I know we are many years out from a new model and perhaps not likely any designs have been released .....just curious.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I just did an online survey for Jeep, which I'm sure some of you have seen as well. They were asking opinions on 5 different new Jeep interiors. The survey had us rank each interior and use three adjectives to describe them. One of the interiors was similar to the current one, and each of the others looked more different. Only the most similar interior had a shift lever for the transmission and the transfer case. The next most similar interior only had a shift lever for the transmission, but not the transfer case. The other three interiors did not have any visible shift levers, so shifting was either push button, or a rotary knob. All interiors had very large video screens, and one of them had I swear a 24" screen in the center of the dash, and no controls of any kind anywhere else on the dash. Apparently absolutely everything functioned by touch control from the video screen. It looked like you would be driving a lap top computer. I hope the don't try to go too modern on us.
Sponsored