Sponsored

New steering stabilizer advice

CincyJLRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
But I bought it and installed it so it must be the best thing out there /s.
blah blah. Best thing? Nope. Does it do exactly what it’s designed for? Yep. But I love the guys who drink the coolaid and think you need to entirely re-engineer the entire suspension for a 2 inch lift. If that makes you feel better about spending all that money so be it. It’s not a formula 1 car where every mm is going to affect its driveability. Can you change the suspension in a Jeep so much to drive like a race car? Yup. Does the average person who wants a lift to off road and still handle like it does stock need to do that? Nope. That’s what the Mopar lift accomplishes. You’re simply trying to suggest that all of those added components are NECESSARY which isnt true. If my Jeep drives just as good as it does stock then that’s good enough for me. If stock isn’t good enough for you then the Mopar lift is no WORSE so what’s your point? You’re basically saying you need to fix the stock geometry The bottom line is you can spend all you want chasing whatever ride you want but if the Mopar lift performs just as well as stock what’s the issue? Or are your feelings hurt because it’s not labeled as the best? Hmm.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
blah blah. Best thing? Nope. Does it do exactly what it’s designed for? Yep. But I love the guys who drink the coolaid and think you need to entirely re-engineer the entire suspension for a 2 inch lift. If that makes you feel better about spending all that money so be it. It’s not a formula 1 car where every mm is going to affect its driveability. Can you change the suspension in a Jeep so much to drive like a race car? Yup. Does the average person who wants a lift to off road and still handle like it does stock need to do that? Nope. That’s what the Mopar lift accomplishes. You’re simply trying to suggest that all of those added components are NECESSARY which isnt true. If my Jeep drives just as good as it does stock then that’s good enough for me. If stock isn’t good enough for you then the Mopar lift is no WORSE so what’s your point? You’re basically saying you need to fix the stock geometry The bottom line is you can spend all you want chasing whatever ride you want but if the Mopar lift performs just as well as stock what’s the issue? Or are your feelings hurt because it’s not labeled as the best? Hmm.
So how much experience do you have lifting Jeeps? What kits do you have experience with?

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLUR with Mopar 2” and 37” milestar Patagonia MT.

I am getting death wobble when hitting small pot holes. I am not sure it is as bad as I have seen in videos but it is still bad.
It appears Jeep’s bandaid is to replace the stabilizer. This seems like a BS fix.
I am not ready to spend $2k on Steer Smart to fix something that should not be a thing after spending $50k on a SUV.
Replacing the stabilizer is a small spend and if it fixes the problem I am all in.

Trying to decide between the Fox single or the Rough Country Dual system.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.
Look at this video of my 2018 JL 2dr Rubicon that could be made to death wobble on demand. All you had to was hit a hole in the road we found above 40 miles an hour and it would do it 7 out of 7 tries. We show it without Exact Center and with Exact Center. It would also do it with the factory stabilizer if you went doing near 50 mph. It would start sometimes and just over 40 mph.
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php
Death Wobble starts at about 25 seconds, keep watching as the mechanics of Exact Center follow.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
So how much experience do you have lifting Jeeps? What kits do you have experience with?
Here is an MJ 1988 Comanche pickup with 11" lift. Why 11" my grandson needs it to look right with 35" x 12.5 tires. He has an early Exact center prototype installed with 125 lbs pressure. He says it handles like an SUV and he drives it 85 on I-75, also he is 26 and not shy when driving. It scares me sitting still. The picture was taken before the custom front driveshaft was installed.

1641561357898blob.jpg

1641561357900blob.jpg

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I never had death wobble like you see in the videos but just a minor, minor shimmy at certain speeds and with off axis bumps that went away on its own. Mainly fixed it with adjustable control arms and a little more caster. The off axis bumps issue was fixed with a Nexus 2.2.
Exact Center by Roadmaster will not fix Death Wobble but in tests, it stopped the movement Death Wobble needs (first Ossicilation) so it can not happen, no fix it just keeps it from happening.
Watch the video, see how Death Wobble is stopped, see the mechanics of the device in the animation. This is the base version we have done 330 psi units on 40000 lb class A diesel pushers at that pressure nothing except power steering can override the hold. A very simple idea that could save the straight axle. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php

Sponsored

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase

I am getting death wobble when hitting small pot holes. I am not sure it is as bad as I have seen in videos but it is still bad.
It appears Jeep’s bandaid is to replace the stabilizer. This seems like a BS fix.
I am not ready to spend $2k on Steer Smart to fix something that should not be a thing after spending $50k on a SUV.
Replacing the stabilizer is a small spend and if it fixes the problem I am all in.

Talk to Roky from Florida, we gave him a prototype to test and he posted he thought it would not let DW happen. We do have video of it stopping DW we can share.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase

If you have a real serious Death Wobble with a video and are willing to make another video after your installation of the test of our product then I can make you a very special deal.
Exact Center will stop (not fix) Death Wobble from starting by not allowing the first oscillation to start. EC holds at Center the base unit is 75lbs at the center from there we go up 100,125, and 150lbs.
There is a lot of testing going on using the base 75lb EC we are getting the higher pressure units for testing next week. Tell us about your Wrangler what have you done to it, what ways have you tried to fix the Death Wobble? Tell us all you can or point to posts about the issues. We can stop even the most serious Death Wobble. Exact Center is not a stabilizer as you know them. EC is a power hold at the center device with a powerful return to the center. Just 1/2 mm .0196" move off-center returns the full rated force of the EC as you increase your turn the EC ramps up 140% at lock. That same force will return your steering to Exact Center. This is the only product that can give this control. Because we have the hold at center we can stop Death Wobble. Stop, not fix.
PM if interested

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Despite what everything says (and all the old wive's tales that stabilizers don't correct DW), everything on my steering/suspension set up was checked and double-checked and nice and tight, wheels were perfectly balanced and alignment was good.

I had wheel shimmy occasionally leading to death wobble. Stock and Teraflex9550 stabilizers just moved the death wobble to a different speed range. Put the AEV steering stabilizer in and my wheel never ever again moved side to side on any bump at any speed.

It transformed the Jeep into a pleasure to drive. Just passing it along. I suggest you use a pressurized shock like AEV's (Billstein),preferably a thru-shaft design, as some people tend to get a slight pull from a pressurized non-thru shaft shock (like FOX, King, Bilstein, AEV).

I think JLs are very sensitive to oscillations after hitting pot holes. That is why Jeep has had so many revisions to the OEM steering stabilizer trying to fine tune it. A pressurized shock seems to play well with the electro-hydraulic steering, and quiets any bump-steer/shimmy/DW.

Good luck.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Despite what everything says (and all the old wive's tales that stabilizers don't correct DW), everything on my steering/suspension set up was checked and double-checked and nice and tight, wheels were perfectly balanced and alignment was good.

I had wheel shimmy occasionally leading to death wobble. Stock and Teraflex9550 stabilizers just moved the death wobble to a different speed range. Put the AEV steering stabilizer in and my wheel never ever again moved side to side on any bump at any speed.

It transformed the Jeep into a pleasure to drive. Just passing it along. I suggest you use a pressurized shock like AEV's (Billstein),preferably a thru-shaft design, as some people tend to get a slight pull from a pressurized non-thru shaft shock (like FOX, King, Bilstein, AEV).

I think JLs are very sensitive to oscillations after hitting pot holes. That is why Jeep has had so many revisions to the OEM steering stabilizer trying to fine tune it. A pressurized shock seems to play well with the electro-hydraulic steering, and quiets any bump-steer/shimmy/DW.

Good luck.
Gato
Let us try it only cost you a bit of time. We have stopped, not fixed full DW and the lighter version shimmy in other JL's We do this and if you are not happy we will pay shipping both ways. I think our base 75lb unit can do this, but tell your mods, tire size lift first.
Call Tony @ PIWcorp Gaylord Michigan home of the inventor of Exact Center @ 1-989-448-2501 or email him [email protected]
Exact Center is the first and only hold at center return to center steering aid anywhere. We can increase the pressure of the hold, because we can the pressure can stop what DW needs to happen the first ossicilation. Without this 1st motion no DW. Call Tony.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Gato
Let us try it only cost you a bit of time. We have stopped, not fixed full DW and the lighter version shimmy in other JL's We do this and if you are not happy we will pay shipping both ways. I think our base 75lb unit can do this, but tell your mods, tire size lift first.
Call Tony @ PIWcorp Gaylord Michigan home of the inventor of Exact Center @ 1-989-448-2501 or email him [email protected]
Exact Center is the first and only hold at center return to center steering aid anywhere. We can increase the pressure of the hold, because we can the pressure can stop what DW needs to happen the first ossicilation. Without this 1st motion no DW. Call Tony.
I appreciate the innovation. I agree that maintaining pressure in the system is key. But I have zero problems now with bump steer/shimmy/DW.

For my use case having the stabilizers below the tierod is a non starter due to rock crawling.

But I hope you guys continue to develop it with an above the tierod mounting solution.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the innovation. I agree that maintaining pressure in the system is key. But I have zero problems now with bump steer/shimmy/DW.

For my use case having the stabilizers below the tierod is a non starter due to rock crawling.

But I hope you guys continue to develop it with an above the tierod mounting solution.

Good luck.
On 3 out of 4 installs from this forum all did the above tie-rod option. Quaratec has a kit by Synergy for under $90 shipping included. For those who had a tie-rod diameter synergy did not support we made them a "U" bolt with the stud for the tierod, they do sell the passenger side alone for $25,00

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
On 3 out of 4 installs from this forum all did the above tie-rod option. Quaratec has a kit by Synergy for under $90 shipping included. For those who had a tie-rod diameter synergy did not support we made them a "U" bolt with the stud for the tierod, they do sell the passenger side alone for $25,00
Excellent. Good to know.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
We cannot give away free units, but we can let you see just how good a Wrangler can be for free. The Wrangler owners posting about issues have no idea their Jeeps can be as good as any SUV So we are offering a chance to see this for yourself, but since most cannot imagine it could be as good as I am saying I am preaching to the choir. That will change the choir is getting bigger we are going to need a bigger church.
Sponsored