• Total voters

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
If you are a pirate with only one leg, get the automatic. If you are an octopus with eight legs, get the automatic. Either way, go with the automatic. đź‘Ť
Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Unfortunately, the manual in Jeeps now suck and the 8spd auto tranny is one of the best on the market so its a no brainer.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I had a TJ with 5spd for seven years. I test drove the JL manual and didn't like it. The 8spd auto is much better in this particular model.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Auto.

The autos in today's machines just outperform in every way. EVERY way.

Now if you want to feel and be connected to the rig, and you don't need the performance, then manual is of course the pick.

If that's not a big deal, then the obvious choice is the auto.

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
I have rowed my own gears for 20+ years. I enjoy it and that trumps every other argument for an auto trans in my mind. I also learned to wheel with a manual and prefer it. Also, I was able to order with the 4.88 gears, saving me from having to do it aftermarket down the road.

And finally, the manual transmission is dying in this country and there's a good chance my '22 Wrangler will be the last vehicle I'll be ABLE to buy with a manual. When that day comes, I'll sooth the pain by enjoying the insane torque from whatever EV I end up buying.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As a hard core MT driver and after owning manual CJs and TJs for decades, I wrestled with this very issue, but chose the AT for the following reasons:

-The ZF trans is high quality, very well reviewed and an excellent match for the 3.6L.
-Wife can drive manual, but prefers automatic.
-MT is a pain in the a$$ during heavy stop-and-go traffic.
-Earlier recalls on the MT clutch issue.
-At my advanced age, AT makes off-roading a little easier and more enjoyable.
-During the entire time I was researching and trying to make this decision, I was feeling several new creaks, cracks, and pops in my legs/knees. Realizing that surgery might be on the horizon and thinking about past recoveries that made driving with MT impossible, it was an easy decision to go with AT instead.

Yep...age forces us to make decisions we might not otherwise make, but at least we can still drive our beloved Jeeps! Best of luck and enjoy, even if you decide on AT.

jeninchicago

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited
Manual - want my kids to learn how to drive manual since my car that we are selling is manual. We have another vehicle that is automatic.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Did you choose Manual or Automatic and why? I’ve seen that manual is much better for off-roading and gas mileage and it has a harder case on the bottom of the vehicle which is built stronger than the automatic.
Thanks

-IG
Huh?

I wheeled manual transmission Wranglers for the first several years until I got an automatic; I never looked back.

There are many good reasons for buying a manual transmission Wrangler, but ease of wheeling and fuel economy ain’t two of them.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Manual for me. But with all the love of the auto Ive heard over the last 3 years, Id probly go auto next time.
There is alot of rev hang with the manual if that sort of thing bugs you in traffic. I dont mind, I think its funny to see the car behind me sometimes have to hit their brakes when I shift out of 1st.
I had 4 TJs all with manual and loved it. Different ballgame from what I hear now.

Im surprised the manual even got 20% of votes. Im sure this doesnt apply to the folks on this forum, but doesnt only like 10% of the general population even know HOW to drive a manual? And arent we all over 40? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Good luck with your choice and welcome.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Huh?

I wheeled manual transmission Wranglers for the first several years until I got an automatic; I never looked back.

There are many good reasons for buying a manual transmission Wrangler, but ease of wheeling and fuel economy ain’t two of them.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
You beat me to it.

Look at the majority of off road wheelers, both professional and weekenders, the auto rules.

Fuel economy shouldn't even be discussed.

KevinC

Sponsored

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I bought a manual. I like to be in the dying breed; those of us who still know how to do it and enjoy it. I REALLY like the manual off-road (Hells Revenge, Fins and Things, Yankee Hill, and hopefully soon Poison Spider); in the Rubi in 4-low, it's damn-near impossible to stall, provides awesome control, especially on descents.... It has NOT made wheeling harder, and I feared that it would. The clutch IS weird-ish and I DO worry about the reliability of the JL clutch. I hear that the JL auto is awesome. I have a Rubi XR on order, and it is an automatic--NOT because I wanted an auto, but because I couldn't order the XR package with the manual. I wanted the XR, so I had to accept the auto. If it ever gets built, I'll be able to evaluate my life choices...

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
If you want a manual, the automatic is terrible. It doesn't even have a third pedal.

But if you are asking, you probably want the auto.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Automatic, because Texas traffic is the worst. Unless I'm in a track car on a track, I will choose Automatic every time.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Manual here! I get wayyyyyyy too bored driving an automatic! Just doesn't cut it for me. I have loved and continue to love to row my gears out. I have to admit that this manual was a learning curve to find the sweet spot but after a few weeks I really got to liking it. Choose what you like and enjoy it! CCL what anyone else likes as long as they are happy! to each their own!

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Automatic. Drove manuals for decades, but the new 8sp is just too nice to do without. Better fuel economy, better response (8 gears vs six). No comparison for me.
Sponsored