Nervous As Hell Please Reassure Me

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
While I’m excited to get my 392, I agree with the advances in the 2.0 4 cylinder world. But its too little too late because it’s also being phased out for electric albeit probably last.

I’ve seen some 2020-2021 CLA45s that are making impressive numbers with a 4 banger. Never sounds as good though.

I guess we'll see what 2022 has in store. Sound is subjective. A lot of people love the sounds of turbos spooling and blow off valves. You can make it sound great with the right mods.
Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
On a Jeep, torque is the answer. Yes, gearing in today's modern transmissions are way better at applying power to the ground, but they still don't offer the torque of the bottom end grunt of the old I-6 or even come close to a 392. In the end, youll be dumping far more in to trying to get the performance of a 392, than if you just bought outright.
On paper that 2.0T is under rated from the factory. It totally spanked Fords 2.3 Ecoboost thats rated at 300hp and 325tq in a drag race. I'm guessing done right with the right mods and tune you will probably get 370 to 400tq out of it if you wanted to and be 400 pounds lighter on the front end which makes a huge difference. Most likely you'll get those numbers with just a good tune. Not a lot of money at all. Certainly not $40k extra. Lol..

That performance especially in a 2 door Jeep is awesome. You can't even get the 392 in a 2 door. What's a 2 door Jeep like 300 to 400lbs lighter then a 4 door? Then you're another 400lbs lighter in the front end with the lighter 2.0T. So your at about 800lbs lighter then the 4 door 392 and only down about 70 to 85 torque. He'll I'll put that set up against the 392 any day and be In it for $40k less.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
On paper that 2.0T is under rated from the factory. It totally spanked Fords 2.3 Ecoboost thats rated at 300hp and 325tq in a drag race. I'm guessing done right with the right mods and tune you will probably get 370 to 400tq out of it if you wanted to and be 400 pounds lighter on the front end which makes a huge difference. Most likely you'll get those numbers with just a good tune. Not a lot of money at all. Certainly not $40k extra. Lol..

That performance especially in a 2 door Jeep is awesome. You can't even get the 392 in a 2 door. What's a 2 door Jeep like 300 to 400lbs lighter then a 4 door? Then you're another 400lbs lighter in the front end with the lighter 2.0T. So your at about 800lbs lighter then the 4 door 392 and only down about 70 to 85 torque. He'll I'll put that set up against the 392 any day and be In it for $40k less.
All true, but you’re comparing a boosted 4 banger to a NA V8. Boosting the V8 is a massive game changer. Whipple & others have systems for chargers, challengers,&GC’s now. It won’t be long

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
All true, but you’re comparing a boosted 4 banger to a NA V8. Boosting the V8 is a massive game changer. Whipple & others have systems for chargers, challengers,&GC’s now. It won’t be long
I'm not. I'm just comparing the 2.0T with a simple tune against the V8. If you want to go that route then you can also add a bigger turbo ,intercooler, down pipe and a host of other mods to the 2.0T as well and get monster power. I've seen 2.0 turbos in the 500hp and 600tq+ range with those mods.

And let's not forget you can get the 2.0T in a 2 door. 800lbs lighter and tighter on the trails. This is off roading not drag racing were talking about.

And like I said all for alot less money then an already $80k stock 392.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not. I'm just comparing the 2.0T with a simple tune against the V8. If you want to go that route then you can also add a bigger turbo ,intercooler, down pipe and a host of other mods to the 2.0T as well and get monster power. I've seen 2.0 turbos in the 500hp and 600tq+ range with those mods.

And let's not forget you can get the 2.0T in a 2 door. 800lbs lighter and tighter on the trails. This is off roading not drag racing were talking about.

And like I said all for alot less money then an already $80k stock 392.
Yes,less $. Also, there is such a thing as too much power. My CJ5 had an L79 /Muncie out of a wrecked Vette.Perfect power to weight. When it wore out I built a 6/71 blown 350 for it. I ruined it! A 700hp CJ5 is a suicide machine, almost uncontrollable! No Whipple for my 392

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes,less $. Also, there is such a thing as too much power. My CJ5 had an L79 /Muncie out of a wrecked Vette.Perfect power to weight. When it wore out I built a 6/71 blown 350 for it. I ruined it! A 700hp CJ5 is a suicide machine, almost uncontrollable! No Whipple for my 392
Exactly. I said this earlier. Too much power off road Is actually BAD!! Not only are they suicide machines but they eat parts left and right and are not reliable at all.

Another thing most Jeep people new to the 392 don't realize is it does not do that well supercharged. I came from the 392 Scat Pack / Hellcat Challenger community and we all know the 392 is not that reliable when you add power. They eat themselves. Hence why Dodge built an entirely different engine for the Hellcat. Something that can handle the extra power.

So take that 392 supercharged idea and throw it out the window if you want reliability. 😉

The 392 is a good engine if left stock.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. I said this earlier. Too much power off road Is actually BAD!! Not only are they suicide machines but they eat parts left and right and are not reliable at all.

Another thing most Jeep people new to the 392 don't realize is it does not do that well supercharged. I came from the 392 Scat Pack / Hellcat Challenger community and we all know the 392 is not that reliable when you add power. They eat themselves. Hence why Dodge built an entirely different engine for the Hellcat. Something that can handle the extra power.

So take that 392 supercharged idea and throw it out the window if you want reliability. 😉

The 392 is a good engine if left stock.
Yep, Weak , high compression,short skirt pistons. High $ to run descent boost. Have a 392 GC, l’ve done some homework.

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I plan on getting the one one touch retractable roof, which is black. I live in Florida so that black roof is going to absorb the heat like a sponge. Is there a coating or something I can put on it to make it a little reflective to beat back the sun?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yep, Weak , high compression,short skirt pistons. High $ to run descent boost. Have a 392 GC, l’ve done some homework.
Here's me and my Scat Pack. Still love that car and the 392 engine But not delusional on what it's capable of. The Jeep community that's not familiar with it will learn.

And it makes me sick that Jeep is charging $80k for it. I bought my Scat Pack for $38k brand new!! Insane.

Screenshot_20210905-061654_Photos.jpg

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
The Lexus GX is basically a nicer land cruiser and is more than capable off road. Just saying you could check out the GX if you’re wanting a bit of both worlds.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
I will tell you what you want to hear and say “yeah go for it”. Reading your post I am placing my bet that after a year or so you are done. Please come back to this thread after a year and fill us in.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's me and my Scat Pack. Still love that car and the 392 engine But not delusional on what it's capable of. The Jeep community that's not familiar with it will learn.

And it makes me sick that Jeep is charging $80k for it. I bought my Scat Pack for $38k brand new!! Insane.

Jeep Wrangler JL Nervous As Hell Please Reassure Me Screenshot_20210905-061654_Photos
Nice, I wanted a Challenger Hellcat but we have the 92 year old father in law. So OK a Charger. Then the wife wanted a motor home. Neither my GC SRT or my 4Runner can be flat towed. Didn’t want a 4 or 6 cylinder Wrangler so I waited for the diesel (at least it will have torque) about the time the diesel came out the V8 rumors started. Got it last week, a joy to drive!

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Nice, I wanted a Challenger Hellcat but we have the 92 year old father in law. So OK a Charger. Then the wife wanted a motor home. Neither my GC SRT or my 4Runner can be flat towed. Didn’t want a 4 or 6 cylinder Wrangler so I waited for the diesel (at least it will have torque) about the time the diesel came out the V8 rumors started. Got it last week, a joy to drive!
I was close to pulling the trigger on a Hellcat Challenger before the pandemic hit. Could have got one for $58k new with the deals that where going on.

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
Thanks for all the good words so far guys. I really appreciate it! I think the regret of not getting one might eat me alive for years if I don’t do it and wimp out with another Pilot or Lexus.
just picked mine up yesterday after being without a Jeep for 3 years. My wife and I had so much fun and my face hurt from smiling listening that engine. I thought she’d hate the rumble, but she preferred it over the exhaust closed😂.Jeep’s are great, no it’s not a LexusSUV, but I seriously think my wife is already plotting to steal my 392.

Its the ultimateFactory Jeep build. If you hate it, you can always resell it. I’m giddy driving this thing around. It’s a beast. If you can afford it, do it!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was close to pulling the trigger on a Hellcat Challenger before the pandemic hit. Could have got one for $58k new with the deals that where going on.
Offered 2k under plus $10 per hp very tempting but I needed a towable.
Sponsored