Sponsored

Nervous As Hell Please Reassure Me

Deleted member 53226

Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
1630840105965.png
Sponsored

Punkindug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 392
Open top jeeps drive different than you average car or suv. I have had cj's and every generation of wrangler as a daily driver. I went from a 2018 JLUR to a Rubi 392 and the 392 drives different than the 2018 in a good way. If a 392 is your 1st jeep that's great. Being that it has so much HP be careful. Take it easy and learn the jeep's on and off-road manners before learning the performance of the 392. You will absolutely love it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
You'll love it. I've had 3 Jeeps since 1992 and I hear people go on and on about their troubles but mine have all been great and I've abused the hell out of them. The JL has been one of the most trouble free vehicles I've owned in 35 years and I've never had a bad vehicle.

One step on the throttle of that 392, with the exhausts open, and you'll be smitten.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
The only way the 392 becomes an investment is if Jeep stops making them sooner rather than later.
Even if Jeep does it for a few years not many people are buying them…plus as people mod them out and they get abused…the cleaned up ones will be of more value

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on getting the one one touch retractable roof, which is black. I live in Florida so that black roof is going to absorb the heat like a sponge. Is there a coating or something I can put on it to make it a little reflective to beat back the sun?
No. But the sun won't bother it, either. The sun has never harmed any of my Jeep's soft tops. The material on those 1 Touch tops is VERY durable. Plus, Jeeps have excellent air conditioning. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
This is in Florida, a state full of wealthy retirees. I could afford to go above MSRP but I’m just not doing it. Period. And to the sketchy dealers: don’t lie to me about “everyone” just lining up to pay above MSRP. Do you not realize other dealers relatively nearby aren’t ripping people off? Apparently they’re in the minority unfortunately but they are out there.
That where you reside?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
No. But the sun won't bother it, either. The sun has never harmed any of my Jeep's soft tops. The material on those 1 Touch tops is VERY durable. Plus, Jeeps have excellent air conditioning. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Did you have the standard soft tops or premium tops?

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I will tell you what you want to hear and say “yeah go for it”. Reading your post I am placing my bet that after a year or so you are done. Please come back to this thread after a year and fill us in.
Nah, I always keep my cars at least 5 years, even the ones I wasn’t crazy about. Based on absolutely nothing but a hunch, I think in a few years Toyota will bring the Land Cruiser back to the US with a powerful electric motor. If they did that, my 392 might get traded in. That would be the only scenario I could see getting rid of the 392 in less than 5 years. But I think I’ll really like the 392.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I plan on getting the one one touch retractable roof, which is black. I live in Florida so that black roof is going to absorb the heat like a sponge. Is there a coating or something I can put on it to make it a little reflective to beat back the sun?
Check out the Hothead headliners.
https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sky-one-touch-headliner?variant=39284097253442
I have one, easy install, and works great. I‘m not in FLA, but in inland So Cal, so 100 degree days are very typical, and it works great. Plus it deadens some noise through the canvas.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
A buying 392 Wrangler is not based on using common sense. Like the OP says, it is expensive and costs almost as much as a nice Lexus.... for a Jeep. You buy it because it's cool, and you can tell people "Yeah! It's got a Hemi."

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
While I’m excited to get my 392, I agree with the advances in the 2.0 4 cylinder world. But its too little too late because it’s also being phased out for electric albeit probably last.

I’ve seen some 2020-2021 CLA45s that are making impressive numbers with a 4 banger. Never sounds as good though.

As a 2.0T owner of other makes, they are impressive. But direct injection engines require extra maintenance for carbon buildup, or you're chasing misfires and decreased performance.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money.
I think you will be happy with either. They are 2 completely different platforms. You just have to think about what you will be using it for. Properly set up with a capable driver behind the wheel, a Lexus GX460 or 4Runner will go in comfort to over 90% of places a Wrangler JLU will go. It's that last 10% you have to ask yourself is it worth it.

The 392 is going to have more raw HP. You are going to have to be very careful with your foot on the trails. While Dana 44's are stout, the drivetrain is not designed to handle a heavy foot day in and day out. Close to 375HP at the wheels is going to be very hard on this particular vehicle. If you are a mellow driver with a light foot then that 392 is going to last a very long time.

My wife and I have it narrowed down to a 4Runner, Jeep Rubicon JL 2 door, and Ford Bronco. I like the 4Runner. My wife likes the Bronco. My 2nd choice is the Rubicon. We are continuing to drive our very reliable 21 year old Lexus and 16 year old GMC Sierra until this crazy market calms down.

You will be much happier ina. Jeep than a Lexus. I cannot stand Lexus. Junk cars for wayyyy to much money
The same exact thing can be said for a Jeep. It's all about maintenance and repair costs. Regardless of this being a Jeep JL forum, both the Lexus and Wrangles are outstanding platforms depending on users intended purpose. If you loath wrenching then the Lexus is the best choice. If you enjoy putting in hours in your garage doing repairs and maintenance then the Wrangler is a solid choice.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
As a 2.0T owner of other makes, they are impressive. But direct injection engines require extra maintenance for carbon buildup, or you're chasing misfires and decreased performance.
Yeah I agree.

I’m hoping to snag an S63 coupe since they’re going to stop making them for the 2022 model year, or they already have stopped making them. I can’t remember. Once the used market cools down and I pay off this jeep (or close enough, hoping to do it in one year but willing to go up to two) I’m going to look for a used S63 coupe with a V8 bi-turbo.

After that, if I have both an S63 coupe and the 392, I would probably look at the new Mercedes Benz EQS for a creature comfort electric vehicle. That’s my immediate roadmap.

If Ford comes out with a two-door bronco with the so-called warthog package I would also consider adding that. Seems like a fun little vehicle specially in the dunes if it ever exists.

Also owning a bunch of vehicles doesn’t make practical sense. And I understand. But I don’t have kids. It’s just me and my wife. It’s simply one of the things that motivates me to work hard. I really like cars :)

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
You wrote:
"I feel like this is more of a sentimental journey to me. My very first car in the 1980’s was my grandfather‘s V8 Buick. A four door sedan from the ‘70’s. Looked like an old mans car but I smoked everyone who wanted to race. I actually made one kid cry I embarrassed him so much with my “old man” car. But it had a tiger under the hood. And this Jeep will bring me full circle since I haven’t owned a V8 since that Buick."

Based on that, it seems like a 392 is the right vehicle for you - unless you were also considering a Challenger 392. That would be even closer to your retro sedan/coupe muscle car youth ride. But since you're asking the question here on the Jeep forum, that's obviously not what you're looking for.

So yeah, it's a lot of money, but it also sounds like you can afford it. I'm guessing it's the right call for you. Get some sunscreen for when the top's down. ;-)
Sponsored