Nervous As Hell Please Reassure Me

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Get the 392 and I'll trade you my 2021 JL lifted with mods ;)
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
If this is your first jeep coming from a Honda pilot I would advise that you absolutely not even think about it. I’ve had maybe 10 jeeps in my life, from CJ’s to two very highly modified JL Rubicon’s and I think you’re making a huge mistake that you’ll regret. Contrary to popular belief you will not get most of your money back, jeeps hold their value better than other brands, but you will still lose at least 20% if you try to trade it in within the first year, especially the 392. I’ll pm you, Feel free to call me if you want and I’ll give you the honest truth. Don’t get me wrong, I obviously I love the wrangler but you really have to know what you’re getting yourself into

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Make sure you spec the Xtreme Recon package/option. You will get bigger/wider tires, and better gearing to push them.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
If this is your first jeep coming from a Honda pilot I would advise that you absolutely not even think about it. I’ve had maybe 10 jeeps in my life, from CJ’s to two very highly modified JL Rubicon’s and I think you’re making a huge mistake that you’ll regret. Contrary to popular belief you will not get most of your money back, jeeps hold their value better than other brands, but you will still lose at least 20% if you try to trade it in within the first year, especially the 392. I’ll pm you, Feel free to call me if you want and I’ll give you the honest truth. Don’t get me wrong, I obviously I love the wrangler but you really have to know what you’re getting yourself into
Why do you think this is such a huge mistake? Can you give me more detail?

cpost6

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
You have a 392? Think your extremely wrong on losing 20% first year on a 392đź‘Ť Especially with market value on a vehicle like this and low numbers. Still no definite confirmation yet that there will even be a 2022. My dealer is large volume and still has been told nothing about 2022!

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Wranglers, in general, are not the most rational purchase one can make. They have more obvious shortcomings than most vehicles. However, they also inspire passion like few other vehicles and hold their value better than just about any other one.

The 392 takes the non-rational part to an even further height, however, it also does the same for the passion. If you smile whenever you think about it, buy it. If you don’t, buy the Lexus.

meanddog

First Name
lydia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hondas and toyotas
Why do you think this is such a huge mistake? Can you give me more detail?
I’ve had a 2012 honda pulot touring since august of 2012. Got the 2021 2.0 jlur on June first. Absolutely love it, all
of my family including brothers and and wives and niece ( they all drove it or drove them n it…) son loves it and wants one ( he has a 2019 rav 4 hybrid), daughter cannot wait for off roading….the dog loves it and all three of the cats love it. Have driven california to boston amd back three times so far with the dog and cats and we all love it. The engine is awesome and the sound is great. it’s practical and fun. Was perfect with some flooding we had here in Boston and i wouldn’t feel safe in any other vehicle now that i see what this beauty can do. And t hasn’t been off road yet so much more fun is in the future.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I'll agree with the will be happier in a Jeep, but come on, Lexus are not 'junk cars' by any means. My last Lexus got over 300K+ miles before I sold still running with no issues. My current Lexus has over 200K+ miles and still running strong.

I will always buy a Lexus for a daily commuter car. If everyone only bought Toy/Lex then there'd be a lot of car mechanic shops going out of business. But if you want a fun car, then no, this it is not.
I’ve had nothing but troubles with both lexis and Toyota. I will never buy any thing from them And the only reason I have one (Toyota)in my driveway currently is I got it brand new for free after winning it and that’s only until I can fix the clear cost that peeled after 12 months of owning it and Toyota refused to fix it under warranty. I will sell the pos and buy a second Jeep. Like I said Lexus IS just an expensive Toyota with poor 30k in bells and whistles. Never seen one get past 200k without a full over haul on the engine. They lie about fuel economy as the tundra gets the worse fuel economy out of all full size trucks. Lol. My Chevy k5 blazer with 300k still does better than the tundra ever will. The only thing I’ll ever buy is Chevy or CJDR vehicle’s.

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
I’ve had nothing but troubles with both lexis and Toyota. I will never buy any thing from them And the only reason I have one (Toyota)in my driveway currently is I got it brand new for free after winning it and that’s only until I can fix the clear cost that peeled after 12 months of owning it and Toyota refused to fix it under warranty. I will sell the pos and buy a second Jeep. Like I said Lexus IS just an expensive Toyota with poor 30k in bells and whistles. Never seen one get past 200k without a full over haul on the engine. They lie about fuel economy as the tundra gets the worse fuel economy out of all full size trucks. Lol. My Chevy k5 blazer with 300k still does better than the tundra ever will. The only thing I’ll ever buy is Chevy or CJDR vehicle’s.
What toyota do you have? If you are looking into getting rid of it, I may be interested.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Never seen a Toyota get past 200K without a full overhaul? I assume this is a sarcastic statement? How many Toyota vehicles have you actually owned, which models? I ask because just about any engine in the last 15-20 years should easily run 200K miles with proper service and maintenance.

You might get a good or bad one of either but on average a CJDR product is not up to Toyota QC. Toyota manufacturing is considered the benchmark in the automotive world. They earned that reputation. QC surveys reflect this. Every QC survey for the last 30-40 years has placed Toyota at the very top for reliability and CJDR product at the bottom of QC ratings. And I am not a CJDR hater. Far from it, I love Wranglers. I have owned Wranglers from the TJ to JL. I love them but I also know going in where they are quality wise compared to other brands. My personal experience with both brands pretty much mirror all the QC surveys. I buy Jeeps and accept them for what they are. I am not a Toyota fanboy either. I will place a order for another JL soon.

Porsche realized Toyota was the benchmark for QC. They consulted with Toyota to improve their manufacturing. Porsche has risen to the top of most QC surveys as a result. Right up there with Lexus and Toyota.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Never seen a Toyota get past 200K without a full overhaul? I assume this is a sarcastic statement? How many Toyota vehicles have you actually owned, which models? I ask because just about any engine in the last 15-20 years should easily run 200K miles with proper service and maintenance.

You might get a good or bad one of either but on average a CJDR product is not up to Toyota QC. Toyota manufacturing is considered the benchmark in the automotive world. They earned that reputation. QC surveys reflect this. Every QC survey for the last 30-40 years has placed Toyota at the very top for reliability and CJDR product at the bottom of QC ratings. And I am not a CJDR hater. Far from it, I love Wranglers. I have owned Wranglers from the TJ to JL. I love them but I also know going in where they are quality wise compared to other brands. My personal experience with both brands pretty much mirror all the QC surveys. I buy Jeeps and accept them for what they are. I am not a Toyota fanboy either. I will place a order for another JL soon.

Porsche realized Toyota was the benchmark for QC. They consulted with Toyota to improve their manufacturing. Porsche has risen to the top of most QC surveys as a result. Right up there with Lexus and Toyota.
Interesting. I’m not saying oc is bad with Toyota I’m just saying the hype isn’t what everyone makes it to be. I’ve worked on almost every model Corolla since 1990 and have yet to see one pass 200k with out major problems. Example. Exhaust manifold that continuously crack every 30k miles due to a block that was warped yet it never once overheated. That was an 1994. Early 2000’s that went kaboom at 80k with every service done on time. Piston knock that was unfixable without full head rebuilt on 2010. I’ve only seen the bad side of Toyota except with 4runners

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
If you are the kinda person that follows his head, I would buy the Lexus. If you're the kind that that follows his heart, I would buy the Jeep.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable.
Something to keep in mind also is the MPG. You are going from a Honda Pilot getting you probably 20+ MPG to a 392 Wrangler that will probably net you around 12MPG in premium fuel. Don't be surprised to spend at least double in gas per year in what you are currently spending.
I'd love to have a Wrangler 392 if it was feasible in cost out the door and with the MPG considerations.
Be careful on the amount of deposit the dealer is asking for as well.

lott

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Eco Diesel
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
A Lexus VS: a Jeep...easy decision. But I never buy anything the first year it is marketed. I've talked with a few guys who have the 392 and love it. I like having something different...it's a conversation piece. That's why I bought the 2021 diesel in October 2020.