Nervous As Hell Please Reassure Me

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
For me 80k was a lot but I'm looking at it as more of an investment (ironic since cars are the worst investment) but with it being a V8 and a wrangler itll hold its value and the appreciate as the production ends and there end up being less and less on the street or not being traded in as much.
80k for a big risk with a Jeep for reliability paint bubbling on hinges with no real fix, steering issues, electrical issues, bad welds, drifting in the highway, and death wobble. Very poor QC. But it’s your money.
Sponsored

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I was in the same boat, including being a Honda Pilot driver for many years. But like others on here have said, the financial risk is not as high as most other car buying options. I also had the encouragement of friends and neighbors who own Wranglers saying that I would not regret buying one, knowing full well how much I prioritize quality and reliability in my purchases. They really couldn’t articulate why I should do it, only that I should and that I would understand.
After 3+ months, I do very much understand.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Finally found an honest Jeep dealer relatively near me. I think I’m putting a deposit down on a 392 tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell. I’ve been driving a Honda Pilot for the last several years which I like, not many problems with it and comfortable. But I want a change and my cousin has a 3 year old Wrangler which I drove a few times and liked. But it’s not a 392...

I am also having last minute trouble in my head spending so much money on this Jeep. I literally could get a V8 Lexus SUV for that money. Am I nuts for buying this Jeep? Please help. I only have about 18 hours to make up my mind. Give me the feel goods about the Jeep 392.
If your second guessing it so much it’s probably not the vehicle for you. The fuel mileage is gonna suck, the reliability isn’t like the Japanese, it won’t drive as nice as a Lexus, It won’t have the features like a Lexus will. With the wrangler you’ll get a vehicle you can make your own to stand out from the crowd.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
If your second guessing it so much it’s probably not the vehicle for you. The fuel mileage is gonna suck, the reliability isn’t like the Japanese, it won’t drive as nice as a Lexus, It won’t have the features like a Lexus will. With the wrangler you’ll get a vehicle you can make your own to stand out from the crowd.
Agreed granted my current jeep drives well for being on 35's although it has a 2.5" Mopar Lift on it but after the tsb that I did last year for the steering box its been so much better to drive especially being a front axle vehicle

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I agree.

I’m hoping to snag an S63 coupe since they’re going to stop making them for the 2022 model year, or they already have stopped making them. I can’t remember. Once the used market cools down and I pay off this jeep (or close enough, hoping to do it in one year but willing to go up to two) I’m going to look for a used S63 coupe with a V8 bi-turbo.

After that, if I have both an S63 coupe and the 392, I would probably look at the new Mercedes Benz EQS for a creature comfort electric vehicle. That’s my immediate roadmap.

If Ford comes out with a two-door bronco with the so-called warthog package I would also consider adding that. Seems like a fun little vehicle specially in the dunes if it ever exists.

Also owning a bunch of vehicles doesn’t make practical sense. And I understand. But I don’t have kids. It’s just me and my wife. It’s simply one of the things that motivates me to work hard. I really like cars :)
are you inside my mind lol, I was thinking the same thing with getting another V8 (no necessarily an S63) but getting a V8 and replacing the 2.0 AMG

Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
You will be much happier ina. Jeep than a Lexus. I cannot stand Lexus. Junk cars for wayyyy to much money
I'll agree with the will be happier in a Jeep, but come on, Lexus are not 'junk cars' by any means. My last Lexus got over 300K+ miles before I sold still running with no issues. My current Lexus has over 200K+ miles and still running strong.

I will always buy a Lexus for a daily commuter car. If everyone only bought Toy/Lex then there'd be a lot of car mechanic shops going out of business. But if you want a fun car, then no, this it is not.

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
All I can say is jeep wrangler owners do not like their jeeps.
They Absolutely LOVE their JEEPS !!!!!!

I came from driving an Acura MDX and a Acura TL.
Both great vehicles and very dependable.
When you drive a jeep it is awhole different experience.

My wife always makes fun of me.
She calls me the bushwacker.
However she always wants to take my jeep in the summer with the top down.

DRIVE a JEEP and ENJOY what it can do.
It is a vehicle like no other.

YOU WILL NEVER REGRET OWNING A JEEP !!!!

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I'll agree with the will be happier in a Jeep, but come on, Lexus are not 'junk cars' by any means. My last Lexus got over 300K+ miles before I sold still running with no issues. My current Lexus has over 200K+ miles and still running strong.

I will always buy a Lexus for a daily commuter car. If everyone only bought Toy/Lex then there'd be a lot of car mechanic shops going out of business. But if you want a fun car, then no, this it is not.
In my opinion, I think he was talking about the materials, especially the interior. My sister had one before she got a Tesla. It was pretty bad inside compared to my Mercedes CLA 2021 and my GLC 300 2018 and these are entry level Mercedes.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
are you inside my mind lol, I was thinking the same thing with getting another V8 (no necessarily an S63) but getting a V8 and replacing the 2.0 AMG
Haha with a world going electric we have to stock up while we can :)

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
V8 lexus SUV? Sounds boring as hell to me. Feel like you may have gotten what you need in the last 6 pages, but just coming across this: go with the Wrangler. It's a hell of a time and the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. , and I don't even have a 392 - just a two door Rubicon.

Plenty of luxury feel in the leather optioned wrangler too. I came from an Audi S5 in late 2019 - got out of it way too early to make financial sense because my buddy got a JL and I was blown away by the complete package. I feel the interior materials are on par with lots of luxury class vehicles, and with a set of 35s-37s you're equipped to tackle almost any trail in the country, something you can't do in a Lexus.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I feel the interior materials are on par with lots of luxury class vehicles, and with a set of 35s-37s you're equipped to tackle almost any trail in the country, something you can't do in a Lexus.
Lexus is every bit as capable for most any (at least 90%) black diamond trails. This is a local one to me that is pretty rough no matter which end you enter:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Lexus is every bit as capable for most any (at least 90%) black diamond trails. This is a local one to me that is pretty rough no matter which end you enter:

Ha, that one's local and a favorite to me too. I've run John Bull twice a month all summer so it's definitely a good benchmark - it's one of those trails that if you can confidently tackle it, you can do (almost) anything. I would argue Holcomb Creek run backwards is a bit tougher though. Enough to get our team of three set up two door Rubicons hung up.

My question is though, I know those GX470s are pretty stout but how about whatever 2021-2022 models they make that I assume OP was cross shopping? Do they still manufacture models that can be set up like this? From a quick scan their 2022 GX stuff looks to be an AWD-style Torsen system and independent suspension all around, but I'm ignorant to their current offerings for sure. Either way tho, if I was wanting to have fun on the weekends on a trail like that, I'd have a hard time picking a Lexus and being willing to damage those expensive body panels and low hanging bumpers.