Sponsored

Negotiating for a side step.

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to negotiate this deal and I want side steps on the JL. Has anyone ever tried that? Is it even possible to have that thrown in on the deal for free?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeepney18

Reality is you never get anything for "free". Dealer is always lets say a head of you... it would be foolish to think otherwise.

As for your deal, there should be no reason why you can't get them to at least sell you the sliders at cost and possibly get them to install them at no charge to you. Just tell them, one of the conditions of your buying the the JL is if they work something out in regard to the side steps. They will come up with something...

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Be careful and focus on the overall price. You don't want to find out after the fact that yes, you got them to throw in the side steps worth $400 for free but you overpaid on the total price and only got 1% off of invoice where you could of received 5% or 6% off of invoice. If you have dealer A at 5% below invoice and dealer B at 5% below invoice, then yes, use the side steps thrown in to decide which dealer to choose. But also check out the Google reviews on each dealership's service department as one of your deciding factors. More info at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/ordering-and-pricing-discussions.7/

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful and focus on the overall price. You don't want to find out after the fact that yes, you got them to throw in the side steps worth $400 for free but you overpaid on the total price and only got 1% off of invoice where you could of received 5% or 6% off of invoice. If you have dealer A at 5% below invoice and dealer B at 5% below invoice, then yes, use the side steps thrown in to decide which dealer to choose. But also check out the Google reviews on each dealership's service department as one of your deciding factors. More info at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/ordering-and-pricing-discussions.7/
I'm below invoice right now. Trying to get it lower before I ask for the side steps.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Just tried this last week when I bought my JLU and wanted the floor mats. Best they could do is to sell them to me at cost so I thought that was fair compromise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just tried this last week when I bought my JLU and wanted the floor mats. Best they could do is to sell them to me at cost so I thought that was fair compromise.
I was also going to ask for floor mats but i double checked and they were included. Are you talking about all weather floor mats or a specific set?

SmartSelect_20180820-065410_Drive.jpg

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I was also going to ask for floor mats but i double checked and they were included. Are you talking about all weather floor mats or a specific set?

SmartSelect_20180820-065410_Drive.jpg
Sorry, yes the all weather one. I pick them up next week and I think the price was $85 for the set.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeepney18

I would not add Mopar All Weather Mats to the deal. WAIT as you can find them way cheaper elsewhere. Reality is you may not even want them. Many consider WeatherTechs, Husky X-act Contours, etc. a way better way to go then the Mopar All Weather mat offering.

Your JL/JLU will automatically come with rug type flat mats

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeepney18

I would not add Mopar All Weather Mats to the deal. WAIT as you can find them way cheaper elsewhere. Reality is you may not even want them. Many consider WeatherTechs, Husky X-act Contours, etc. a way better way to go then the Mopar All Weather mat offering.

Your JL/JLU will automatically come with rug type flat mats
Yup. I'm okay with the mats that it comes with.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As the others have said, you can negotiate any extra items you want. An extra negotiated item won't show up on the window sticker, but they can certainly add any Mopar part you want. The deal can also include installation if you want it to, but on something like a side step, you'll be fine to just have them in a box and install it yourself. The cost? Well that depends on your negotiation skills, and that particular dealership. The short answer is though, YES it is possible to negotiate side steps into the purchase.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also going to ask for the lifetime warranty since it's a first YEAR JL (does this even matter) and a full tank of gas. Is that too much to ask? Should I be asking for something else?

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As the others have said, you can negotiate any extra items you want. An extra negotiated item won't show up on the window sticker, but they can certainly add any Mopar part you want. The deal can also include installation if you want it to, but on something like a side step, you'll be fine to just have them in a box and install it yourself. The cost? Well that depends on your negotiation skills, and that particular dealership. The short answer is though, YES it is possible to negotiate side steps into the purchase.
That sounds good to me. I was at the dealership last Friday and was shocked that they gave me a number below invoice. I didn't even negotiate. Now that I had time to think it over, I'm planning to bring it down a little more, then ask for what I want added.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind having it delivered. That would be a cool first project to work on at home!

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I'm trying to negotiate this deal and I want side steps on the JL. Has anyone ever tried that? Is it even possible to have that thrown in on the deal for free?
Dude. You’re going to lose this deal if you aren’t able to stop analyzing every single possible contingency. Your price is practically unbeatable! You’re not likely to get free side steps, instead you’re likely to stop having your calls returned.

That said, here’s the way to use that sort of technique. Once you have a deal you know you’ll say yes to, then find a reason to throw in an accessory to get you to say yes to the purchase of the Jeep.

When I bought mine I said “Okay. Throw in a set of all-weather Floor Mats and I’ll come to your store first tomorrow.” (I was traveling almost 3 hours and two dealerships in the same area were offering me the same discount.) If the sales manager had said no, I’d still have bought their Jeep in all likelihood, but they said yes and I didn’t go to the other dealership at all.

So in a case like that, knowing 7.5% under invoice on a Sport was pretty much all there was, at least I got the “free” mats which I knew I was going to have to buy anyway.
Sponsored