Sponsored

My Gupton Pickup Experience 9/30/21

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Damn Jeeps are selling well. That’s good to see :)
Hey man. Are you just loving your 392 now that it finally made it. Followed your experience on the 392 thread. You have great patience. Congrats!
Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
I just drove for about 6 hours straight headed back home so these are just my quick thoughts before I crash. I will post a full review over the weekend.

Bullet points
• Was a perfect day out
• Easiest, quickest & best new car buying experience I've ever had, period
• The staff that I met, Daniel (co-owner), Renee (Sales) & Walter (F&I) are as honest & down to earth as they come. I felt like I'd known them for years.
• The staggering number of sold Wranglers on their lot is simply mind-boggling & breathtaking.
I got to see virtually every trim level & color Wranglers come in, in-person.

Here is a short teaser video of just the middle row. There are many more rows. I'll post more pics later.
(Edit: Just noticed if you look really close in the video you can see a real purdy Hella right in front of the main dealership door. It's not there now. 😉)

One note of caution if yours is there. Most of these came in all in one day.
As we suspected, the truckers were upset over FCA's business practices & wanted to make a point, causing the delays, then delivered them all at once. I hope FCA got the message.

This is a tiny dealership & they all are working a lot of hours, including their scheduled days off, taking care of buyers just as absolutely as fast as they can, in the order they came off the trucks. I gave them a week before I requested to show up & after seeing them all sitting there, that probably wasn't long enough.

Just saying we have a good thing going with these guys, let's give them ample time to prep the units lest they decide it's not worth the hassle anymore. :)
F-N $4k MacBook and it won't play the vid. I'll save it and try another way. I just know mine is in the video looking all bad ass and stuff :)

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Gupton is one of a handful of "high-volume" dealerships across the country. These dealerships understand the value of a pre-sold factory order for folks like us, and have made changes to their business to better cater to us. They're adept at handling out-of-state purchases (taxes, fees, etc) and make the process as easy as possible by offering free airport pickup or coordinating to have your Jeep shipped to you.

They also tend to offer great discounts as a result of their high-volume, usually a % off the factory *invoice* price, which is usually ~4-5% below the sticker price. For instance, when I ordered my Wrangler from Gupton this summer, they were offering 8% off invoice (~10-12% off sticker) for custom orders (with dealer financing and Tread Lightly affiliate discount).

Their ability to offer these deep discounts changes periodically (for instance, it appears that Tread Lightly was ended by FCA as of today (10/1/21), etc, but overall, they're a much better place to place a custom order than your local dealership.
Great info! Saw you were in Ft. Worth and that you had used Gupton. I'm north of you a ways up 75, but was curious if it would be worth it from Texas. Sounds like it may be. That's pretty cool the way they have made out of state purchasing easier, even an airport pickup, not bad at all.

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
For Me it was pricing. It's a 7 hour drive for Me but in My opinion it's well worth it. Plus My wife wanted to go to Nasville anyway so I get brownie point there too lol
Never a bad idea to try and work in a point or two!

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Not sure if you fly Allegiant down in God Bless Texas but from NW Arkansas it's $43 one way too Nashville. Now it's a 7+ hour drive for me back but worth it. We'll make it a long weekend, play in Nashville a couple days and slow roll back home.

Good to know! I rented a paddle board one time for an hour and it cost me more than that.

Sponsored

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
I just drove for about 6 hours straight headed back home so these are just my quick thoughts before I crash. I will post a full review over the weekend.

Bullet points
• Was a perfect day out
• Easiest, quickest & best new car buying experience I've ever had, period
• The staff that I met, Daniel (co-owner), Renee (Sales) & Walter (F&I) are as honest & down to earth as they come. I felt like I'd known them for years.
• The staggering number of sold Wranglers on their lot is simply mind-boggling & breathtaking.
I got to see virtually every trim level & color Wranglers come in, in-person.

Here is a short teaser video of just the middle row. There are many more rows. I'll post more pics later.
(Edit: Just noticed if you look really close in the video you can see a real purdy Hella right in front of the main dealership door. It's not there now. 😉)

One note of caution if yours is there. Most of these came in all in one day.
As we suspected, the truckers were upset over FCA's business practices & wanted to make a point, causing the delays, then delivered them all at once. I hope FCA got the message.

This is a tiny dealership & they all are working a lot of hours, including their scheduled days off, taking care of buyers just as absolutely as fast as they can, in the order they came off the trucks. I gave them a week before I requested to show up & after seeing them all sitting there, that probably wasn't long enough.

Just saying we have a good thing going with these guys, let's give them ample time to prep the units lest they decide it's not worth the hassle anymore. :)
That's a nice looking Hella you catch a glimpse of there. :)

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
I'm sure I did. They had 80 come in all in one day. I wanted to take pics of all the stickers with everyone's name on them (that is super cool, btw) but it would have taken me forever. I did do it for the only other Yella there, cuz we gotta stick together. It was a Rubi and it was sharp AF.

20210930_171524.jpg
After talking to Walter today, he said he had a heck of a time trying to find mine. He said they have somewhere around 150 Wranglers there right now, and they're parked everywhere. Finally found it and confirmed I can get it next weekend. I might have to take my drone and get a quick overhead view there when I go for delivery.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hey man. Are you just loving your 392 now that it finally made it. Followed your experience on the 392 thread. You have great patience. Congrats!
Very pleased. I love it. It’s the most stupid vehicle in the world and I couldn’t be happier. Doesn’t make much sense on paper and it’s the most fun I’ve had owning any vehicle.

It’s currently with an installer getting some parts put on and I’ve been without it for a few days but I’m excited to pick it back up next week.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
For Me it was pricing. It's a 7 hour drive for Me but in My opinion it's well worth it. Plus My wife wanted to go to Nasville anyway so I get brownie point there too lol
Happy wife happy life.

Bluesharp

First Name
Bluesharp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara diesel , 1966 MGB
Occupation
Prison dentist...no, seriously 😷 RETIRED!!!
Eagle has landed. Allegiant air booked, pick up scheduled. Took longer to ship than to order and build but alls well that ends well. Sold the JK today. I'm all jacked up on mountain dew......and bourbon (don't knock it till you tried it)

Last edited:

Sponsored

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Very pleased. I love it. It’s the most stupid vehicle in the world and I couldn’t be happier. Doesn’t make much sense on paper and it’s the most fun I’ve had owning any vehicle.
You know what? I think it makes a lot of sense.

You get everything you get with a Wrangler: iconic looks / cool factor, utility, family hauler, good creature comforts, configurability (doors, roof), all-weather driving (flooded streets), other stuff I'm not thinking about, etc etc.

Plus the Rubicon: off-road features and the "upgraded" looks and details.

Plus the street performance: 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (as tested recently by Car and Driver).

If they dropped the price down, I think it would be an absolute grand slam of a vehicle, on par with the Corvette in terms of what you get for the price. As is, I think it's an awesome all-around vehicle!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Matches my experience. Complete deal done 95% email/5% phone. Three weeks later I drove down on a Saturday morning (3 hours one way), traded my Ram in for the new Gladiator, then drove home. Easy as pie. Everybody there is so nice.

Will probably go back there again when this lease is up.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
Great info! Saw you were in Ft. Worth and that you had used Gupton. I'm north of you a ways up 75, but was curious if it would be worth it from Texas. Sounds like it may be. That's pretty cool the way they have made out of state purchasing easier, even an airport pickup, not bad at all.
Hi! Houston here, ordered from Gupton, picked up 9/3. Flew to Nashville, drove back over the course of 4 days: Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Hot Springs, Houston.

Looks like if you're up 75, then you're pretty close to the OK border? Sherman TX (for example) to Nashville came out to 9+ hours on Google Maps. Fly to Nashville from Dallas for pretty cheap, and drive back. If you wanted to cut costs, you could stay overnight in Nashville or Memphis, and make it home the next day pretty easily. If you really wanted to cut costs, you could probably arrange for pick up in the morning at Gupton, and drive all the way back that same day. Would be a good idea to plan it out with Daniel there several days ahead of time so they can accommodate you at your desired time.

The biggest cons: the disruption that is travel, and wait time. You can maybe find a DFW dealer or some dealer in your larger region that will do 1-2% below invoice, and you won't have to travel. Or you can probably find one already on a lot somewhere with a dealer that will do some amount below MSRP, and you won't have to wait.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you had!

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Matches my experience. Complete deal done 95% email/5% phone. Three weeks later I drove down on a Saturday morning (3 hours one way), traded my Ram in for the new Gladiator, then drove home. Easy as pie. Everybody there is so nice.

Will probably go back there again when this lease is up.
how was the trade in process with them? Looking to trade in for another factory order Jeep
Sponsored