JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
So just for future notes. Rubber has one of the lowest coefficients of thermal conductivity. That goes for heating and cooling. It usually stinks pretty bad before it goes soft. Within reason, its a decent insulator, so long as its not in direct contact with something glowing. Your issue is reflected heat from the exhaust system. I see the same issue. While it may be a less that perfect design issue, it is probably not a worry. I had a 67- 427 L88 Vette that would actually burn bare feet on the foot well. Progress!! American Junk has come a long way and I am a big supporter. I buy it!
Good to know! Thanks
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Why didn't Jeep use the Rubicon hood for the 392 with functional vents?
I swapped to the Rubicon hood and made the vents functional.
They do a really good got venting the heat from the 2.0L and seem to
vent the heat like my 392 Challenger hood does.
Mind sharing how you made the vents functional?

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Mind sharing how you made the vents functional?
You bet....
I used 2 plastic license plate dealer advertisements to cover the battery and a plastic tupperware dish to cover the abs pump painted black of course. lol They have performed perfectly diverting water to the side. In reality very little water gets through the vents even in a car wash or heavy rain. Jeep could have utilized the vents especially for dealing with the heat from a 392. I can tell you the vents work very well ventilating heat.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-to-your-2dr-today.81248/page-34#post-1897933

Last edited:

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
The 392 has the Hydro Guide intake system bolted to the bottom of the hood. You can't get the Rubicon vent on the Drivers Side. Also, the 392 hood is taller than the 3.6 Rubicon hood.

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
You bet....
I used 2 plastic license plate dealer advertisements to cover the battery and a plastic tupperware dish to cover the abs pump painted black of course. lol They have performed perfectly diverting water to the side. In reality very little water gets through the vents even in a car wash or heavy rain. Jeep could have utilized the vents especially for dealing with the heat from a 392. I can tell you the vents work very well ventilating heat.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-to-your-2dr-today.81248/page-34#post-1897933
You must not have a 392???

Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
You must not have a 392???
You are correct I have a 392 in a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack. I can tell you that the 392 puts out allot of heat in my Challenger and the vented Hellcat hood does a good job venting that heat. My JL has the 2.0L but the functional Rubicon hood vents work well venting the heat.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
I wonder how much heat soak the Hydro Guide duct has? I know on the Challenger T/A there is a ram air duct that fits behind the hood scoop to the top of the air box. The problem is that the ram air duct sits above the radiator resulting in heat soak. I had a 2017 Challenger T/A and insulated the ram air duct resulting in a AIT drop of 8 degrees where it was now 3 degrees above ambient temp.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
You are correct I have a 392 in a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack. I can tell you that the 392 puts out allot of heat in my Challenger and the vented Hellcat hood does a good job venting that heat. My JL has the 2.0L but the functional Rubicon hood vents work well venting the heat.
So I’m not sure that you’re understanding the fact that your comment is absolutely irrelevant to us. Because our hood is completely different and cannot use the vents you are discussing.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
So I’m not sure that you’re understanding the fact that your comment is absolutely irrelevant to us. Because our hood is completely different and cannot use the vents you are discussing.
I understand the Mojave/392 Rubicon hood cannot have vents like the Rubicon hood. I was wondering why Jeep chose a induction style hood instead of a ventilation style hood given that the Apache hemi puts out allot of heat.

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
My screen (hot to touch) and dash seem super hot, but I have had this in other cars….mainly performance cars….. certain areas get hot at certain times from the engine or exhaust. I had a BMW M car that I would not park in the garage until it cooled down the entire dash felt like a furnace.

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
Ehab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 392
I'm not sure this is a problem but just wanting to check with other 392 owners. I drove back from Atlanta this evening (2 hour drive). Easy drive. Ended with a drive up our mountain. Got home and touched the passenger side floor board and that thing was hot! I have rubber Weather Tech mats so I thought maybe the rubber acted as a conductor and made it feel hotter than it really was. But I could barely hold my hand on the mat. No warning lights or anything on the way home.
Anyone else notice this with their 392? Is this normal or is there a problem about to manifest? We're hoping to take this on a 7 hour ride to Florida next month and I'd hate to be stranded somewhere on the way down. Especially somewhere in Alabama :LOL: (I'm just kidding- I lived there for 10 years).

EDIT: No further issues. No heat noted on passenger floor again. I think it was a combination of a thick rubber mat, a hot day and an insulated soft sided cooler.
I’m experiencing the same thing, in fact extreme heat coming from the passenger floor mats and I’m thinking it’s the bigger engine and exhaust underneath in addition to poor insulation.
also I’m based in Dubai with extreme summer heat almost for 4 months of the year!

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
I’m experiencing the same thing, in fact extreme heat coming from the passenger floor mats and I’m thinking it’s the bigger engine and exhaust underneath in addition to poor insulation.
also I’m based in Dubai with extreme summer heat almost for 4 months of the year!
Yes, I agree- it’s because the bigger engine and the exhaust is right underneath the passenger seat. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about,
I bet it gets hot where you are!

ramos1214

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
I'm not sure this is a problem but just wanting to check with other 392 owners. I drove back from Atlanta this evening (2 hour drive). Easy drive. Ended with a drive up our mountain. Got home and touched the passenger side floor board and that thing was hot! I have rubber Weather Tech mats so I thought maybe the rubber acted as a conductor and made it feel hotter than it really was. But I could barely hold my hand on the mat. No warning lights or anything on the way home.
Anyone else notice this with their 392? Is this normal or is there a problem about to manifest? We're hoping to take this on a 7 hour ride to Florida next month and I'd hate to be stranded somewhere on the way down. Especially somewhere in Alabama :LOL: (I'm just kidding- I lived there for 10 years).

EDIT: No further issues. No heat noted on passenger floor again. I think it was a combination of a thick rubber mat, a hot day and an insulated soft sided cooler.
I got my 2022 392 Friday and drove it back from Idaho to Texas (1,837 miles) and I did not experience anything like that. Maybe because I was going a little fast.

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
If it’s of any help I could add that my 3.6 does the same thing.
Wondering if you could say more about your experience. Does this happen all the time? Did it always happen?

I have a 3.6 JLR 6spd. Just drove Portland to Reno yesterday (about 10hrs) and started noticing the driver side floor heating up around hour 8. I have never noticed this before. I often drive with flip flops so while cruising I’ll slip em off, and I’m pretty confident I’ve never noticed any heat whatsoever coming up through the floor.

I actually pulled over because my sandals were getting hot. Took a peek below, there’s definitely mud and sand all up in the exhaust. I don’t really think that could cause excessive heat, but it’s the only thing I could think of.

I am (only slightly) worried that the transmission is to blame. Driving the manual and have had the recall done already. The transmission tunnel carpeted side wall was pretty warm, and so was the passenger footwell, and I don’t think there’s any exhaust piping directly underneath the passenger footwell.

FWIW coolant temp was around 220 for most of the drive. Lots of hills. 5th gear most of the time around 65 mph. Not pushing it hard unless needed to climb

insights welcome from anybody!

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Wondering if you could say more about your experience. Does this happen all the time? Did it always happen?

I have a 3.6 JLR 6spd. Just drove Portland to Reno yesterday (about 10hrs) and started noticing the driver side floor heating up around hour 8. I have never noticed this before. I often drive with flip flops so while cruising I’ll slip em off, and I’m pretty confident I’ve never noticed any heat whatsoever coming up through the floor.

I actually pulled over because my sandals were getting hot. Took a peek below, there’s definitely mud and sand all up in the exhaust. I don’t really think that could cause excessive heat, but it’s the only thing I could think of.

I am (only slightly) worried that the transmission is to blame. Driving the manual and have had the recall done already. The transmission tunnel carpeted side wall was pretty warm, and so was the passenger footwell, and I don’t think there’s any exhaust piping directly underneath the passenger footwell.

FWIW coolant temp was around 220 for most of the drive. Lots of hills. 5th gear most of the time around 65 mph. Not pushing it hard unless needed to climb

insights welcome from anybody!
I notice the floor of my Jeep gets hot when driving more then an hour on the freeway. The longer I stay on it the hotter it gets. The last trip we had to Yellowstone from CA the family found it unbearably hot. After the trip I put some time in to see why, and I had noticed that the heat shield had shifted and wasent even locked down. I fixed that and I haven’t noticed much more then “warm” temperatures on my floor. I will however note that my temps may be due to having full steel under armor and all weather floor mats.
Sponsored