JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
I think her issue is the radiant heat from the proximity of catalytic converter to the firewall/tunnel, which hood vents would not likely be of much help.
Yes, this is what the hubby thinks too. As the heat is only over the passenger floor board. It’s very localized. Driver’s side was not hot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jenn, as much as I like working on them, it was a huge amount of work. I did it during the height of the pandemic when we were just staying home. I was recently retired and I just took my time. Spent about a month doing this.

However, for heat, this is not much help. Some. But not a lot for the effort. Dynamat makes a heat insulating foam mat called Dynaliner. Heat Protection and Thermal Insulation For Your Car | Dynaliner | Dynamat I put some 1/4" in mine as shown below. It helps with heat and noise. The foil backed butyl rubber is primarily a sound deadener. In order to insulate heat efficiently, you need air. The foam provides that air. That's for the inside.

I still think you might benefit from a better reflective/insulator material on the firewall/tunnel side where the catalytic converter is.

This company makes products like I was thinking you may benefit from. Reflective Heat Shield | Design Engineering Inc. In their line, possibly that Form-A-Barrier material. Other companies make similar materials. That was just the first one that I found when googled. As you can see, it's not just a metal foil, but contains a material with air captured in a layer. So, a reflector (foil) and an insulator (foam, fiberglass, ceramic wool, etc.)

20210119_124650.jpg
Excellent idea. I’ll check out their website. Thank you!

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
Not that it really has a great effect on engine temps but it was what, 92 degrees in Chattanooga yesterday. highest this year, I think

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that it really has a great effect on engine temps but it was what, 92 degrees in Chattanooga yesterday. highest this year, I think
Not sure. I worked in Atlanta yesterday and it was hot down there. Plus the Jeep sat outside all day and then got driven home.
You live in Chatt?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Excellent idea. I’ll check out their website. Thank you!
You might give their tech support a call and tell them your problem and let them recommend a material and installation method. I think a little bit of material would make a big difference for your issue.

Sponsored

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure. I worked in Atlanta yesterday and it was hot down there. Plus the Jeep sat outside all day and then got driven home.
You live in Chatt?
Cool. I used to now I live outside Jackson. Lived on Signal, in RedBank, Hixson, SD, East Ridge, just about all over the area.

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. I used to now I live outside Jackson. Lived on Signal, in RedBank, Hixson, SD, East Ridge, just about all over the area.
That’s so cool. Raised in Hixson until I went to college. Then moved back and we live on Signal now. I work on the N Shore.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I would love to drive you Callaway Z06 and see what I am missing in my Z06. :LOL::LOL::LOL: Cabin heat does not seem to be much of a problem in my Z06, even on the warmest Florida days. Just crank up the A/C or drop the top and drive. Mine is a 2019 so GM may have reacted to complaints in prior C7s before the last model year for the C7.

I have a 3.6L JLUR and never noticed any heat issues. My wife lays her pocketbook on the passenger side floor and never mentioned anything feeling hot. 392 is probably a lot different, although my BIL has a 392 RAM and he does not have a cabin heat issue.

Agree that a lot of it has to do with how the exhaust is routed.

Wonder when Callaway will do a 392 Wrangler?
You can probably cook a full 5-course meal on my center console in an hour. I mistakenly left a digital tire pressure gauge in there and after an hour drive it was melted.

I would imagine ours are probably very comparable in performance, though mine is a little lighter. I’m at 685 crank hp (~600 whp) on maxed out OEM injectors & only 7lb of boost. Bigger injectors are going in, aftermarket heads (to fix the LS7 heads issues) & maybe a different pulley to boost a little more performance:rock:

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can probably cook a full 5-course meal on my center console in an hour. I mistakenly left a digital tire pressure gauge in there and after an hour drive it was melted.

I would imagine ours are probably very comparable in performance, though mine is a little lighter. I’m at 685 crank hp (~600 whp) on maxed out OEM injectors & only 7lb of boost. Bigger injectors are going in, aftermarket heads (to fix the LS7 heads issues) & maybe a different pulley to boost a little more performance:rock:
You can pick up a no-bake pizza on your way home from work and have it cooked by the time you get home! 😂 This would be my dream car.

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Probably the cat converter. I've got Vipers, and they cause 3rd degree burns when you accidentally hit them when exiting the car. They also are known to discolor the car's paint. Usually, when a really bad catalytic converter problem is happening, it's because of a fuel injector issue - and you might not see that code for two or three driving cycles.
I had a 69 big block vette with the big hooker side pipes. You only hit them once!

Last edited:

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 69 big block vette with the big hooker side pipes. You only hit them once!
Yep, had a buddy with a 68 with sidepipes. Burned the back of my ankle something fierce! gettting out of it. Damn, that hurt! Still have a scar after 25 years.
Sponsored