Sponsored

Muffler delete... was it worth it?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
All a louder exhaust accomplishes more mom's in minivans trying to race me from stoplights. It's annoying. You would need a tune and both intake and exhaust mods to really see any substantial increase (across the board).
Yeah, even a tune and intake/exhaust mods don't tend to yield too much w/ these motors (especially when you factor in the cost vs power gained).
I just like the fact that I removed that beer keg and can hear the motor when I want to and just let it cruise at a fairly mellow tone when I don't :)
Sponsored

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I gained smileability with mine...one of the first things I did...still have the muffler in the shed, should I ever have to put it back on.....6 speed manual.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I removed my muffler to gain ground clearance and a better sound from the exhaust. With the HikeIt, it’ll blow those minivans away.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, even a tune and intake/exhaust mods don't tend to yield too much w/ these motors (especially when you factor in the cost vs power gained).
I just like the fact that I removed that beer keg and can hear the motor when I want to and just let it cruise at a fairly mellow tone when I don't :)
I understand.. however anywhere I go is up at a 25 degree (plus) angle..I'm in the 4-5k rpm range.. theres no way I could deal with a louder muffler thanks to Jeep's cams.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I understand.. however anywhere I go is up at a 25 degree (plus) angle..I'm in the 4-5k rpm range.. theres no way I could deal with a louder muffler thanks to Jeep's cams.
I’m headed to the San Juan Mountains later this month. This has been a concern for me. It may or may not get a muffler after the trip.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m headed to the San Juan Mountains later this month. This has been a concern for me. It may or may not get a muffler after the trip.
You will def be running a higher rpm... I'm just not a fan of high rpm v6 sound.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Understand 100%

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Just put one on my Rubicon, have one on wife's Sahara, both 3.6 8 spd. Mine seems louder but quiets out once your in 6,7 or 8th. Sounds good when on it :) I am at 3000 miles, avg 20.4 with stock muffler, so will see if some minor fuel economy gains in an informal test over next few months.

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
How is the Dynamax different than just welding in a pipe instead of the muffler exactly?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
How is the Dynamax different than just welding in a pipe instead of the muffler exactly?
How is a wheel different than forging or casting and finishing a chunk on aluminum? For most it's because it's cheaper and easier to buy a finished product.

Sponsored

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
How is a wheel different than forging or casting and finishing a chunk on aluminum? For most it's because it's cheaper and easier to buy a finished product.
Totally fair. Which is why I asked! So it's a precast pipe that just fits, but if you're handy / have the capability to get a part fabbed, there's no specific pitfall avoided by using the part other than simplicity.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Totally fair. Which is why I asked! So it's a precast pipe that just fits, but if you're handy / have the capability to get a part fabbed, there's no specific pitfall avoided by using the part other than simplicity.
Yep. And has a turndown and mounting post to use the factory isolated mount, and clamp so it's not permanent. But I do agree there isn't a ton of engineering here, but it's also very cheap.

Last edited:

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Yep. And has a turndown and mounting post to use the factory isolated mount, and clamp so it's not permanent. But I do agree there isn't a ton of engineering here, but it's always very cheap.
Good to know!

My last vehicle was a VW GLI, and I had my guy do some work for me there rather than a kit - was just trying to figure out if I should go the same route, or buy something off the shelf. I just know I want better sound and to get rid of the big canister.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good to know!

My last vehicle was a VW GLI, and I had my guy do some work for me there rather than a kit - was just trying to figure out if I should go the same route, or buy something off the shelf. I just know I want better sound and to get rid of the big canister.
For $100 I doubt you'd get the same fit unless you're in good w/ the pipe shop :)
For what you're wanting I think the Dynomax will check off those boxes :)

NTLV

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Rubicon
Occupation
VIP Host Nightlife
Vehicle Showcase
Had the dynomax muffler sitting in my garage for 5 months but wanted to wait to break in the engine and take it in for any services before I put it on. just installed it yesterday. I came from a car that was extremely quite (Range Rover evoque) and now have the 2.0 turbo. I honestly think it sounds great. Not annoying at all on the highway or street. Can barely hear it until your on the gas a bit and even then it’s not wimpy sounding by any means. Was really concerned about the noise but I like it. I didn’t cut the notch out though so we will see if I have a leak later on. Seems fine now though.
Sponsored