RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Ok, maybe this sounds crazy but--and I'm aware of why the logistics/price on this would make it impossible-- but I wish my Wrangler, with the touch of a button. could switch between automatic to standard transmission.

I don't want a standard in traffic and the ladies in my family don't want a standard at all.
Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I would never but an auto JL although I expect the 8 speed to be pretty amazing. That's just me. I doubt I'm alone. I think the people that strongly prefer manual transmissions are the minority, but they are passionate. Furthermore, since you're saving $2k right off the bat, resale should be no problem.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have two boys 14 and 16 years old. As others have mentioned, giving them the opportunity to properly learn how to operate a manual is what tipped me in that direction.

I like to put a manual in an appropriate gear for the circumstances and let it crawl with both feet on the floor board. Its like off road cruise control, all I have to do is steer.

My dad has a 2010 JK Rubicon auto, the only thing I don't like is that it won't idle through rocks, it wants to stop at each rock. And when the torque converter starts to grab as throttle is applied it surges. His crawl ratio is 46:1. The new 8 speed with 77:1 should be much better for that.
Yep, and my 08 Rubi will easily do that all day long. I think it has an 74:1 crawl ratio, so the 77:1 should be a piece of cake. The MT Rubi's 84:1 will be simply unreal.

Phillyfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st Jeep coming soon
We have always had one car with a MT. The JL will be our next. We’ve been thinking about a Jeep for awhile, and when I test drove the JK, it wasn’t hard to find a MT on the lot to drive. Just wonder if the ratio of MT to AT Jeeps on the dealer lots will less with the new JL.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I learned to drive in my mother's '89 YJ manual that then became my first vehicle. Everyone said that I was crazy to take the test in the manual, but it was fun. Especially when the instructor asked me to make a 3 point turn, and i asked "Why?" . I hope to do the same for my 5 year old son one day. That is one of the reasons why I chose the manual.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
That $2k price on the auto sure is making me lean MT.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted a 2dr 6spd, but taking family size into account I decided on a 4dr. With the 4dr I considered the Automatic(2dr 6spd was always more fun to drive in the JK) but the $2k price difference made me decide on a Manual as I'm sure no matter what choice I made I would enjoy.

OP
OP
Matthew/E36

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Oh, yeah I like that angle! I am saving money...will point this out to the spouse!!!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I'm strongly leaning 2 door, 6spd, premium soft top, technology and tow packages.

Sponsored

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
So far I am the lone Sahara MT guy. Making me question my choice. No doubt will have 6mt (have same on my 335i) but is Sahara the right choice? Not offloading much, want it kind of luxe inside and will add 33's, steel bumpers and drivers lights. Hope it will have a market here in NNJ but ultimately looking to keep it a long time so do I really care? Like many of you I have 2 boys (14 and 11) who will learn to drive manual. Wife drives it and enjoys it. F it, unless one of you convinces me otherwise I am keeping the order... :)

OP
OP
Matthew/E36

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So far I am the lone Sahara MT guy. Making me question my choice. No doubt will have 6mt (have same on my 335i) but is Sahara the right choice? Not offloading much, want it kind of luxe inside and will add 33's, steel bumpers and drivers lights. Hope it will have a market here in NNJ but ultimately looking to keep it a long time so do I really care? Like many of you I have 2 boys (14 and 11) who will learn to drive manual. Wife drives it and enjoys it. F it, unless one of you convinces me otherwise I am keeping the order... :)

Nice! My E90 M3 is manual, but boys are not quite at driving age. Think I will go MT, or I'll get bored driving!

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
i agree and will kids (and myself) from texting and driving...

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
When I traded my manual 2012 for my current 2014 for the sole purpose of getting an automatic, I had already put 50,000 miles on it, the TOB had been replaced twice, and the rear diff was leaking. I only lost $3,000 on it from what I paid new to what I sold it for. That's it.

The transmission has virtually zero relevance on the resale value of a Wrangler.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I am considering the Sahara because it is almost the same price as my Sport S 4-door build (manual). I am having the same struggle but I only plan to keep it for 3 years so resale is more of a concern for me.

Best advice is get what you want and don't overthink it! I should probably listen to my own advice...
Sponsored