• Total voters

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
My last couple vehicles have been a manual transmission. After a test drive of a manual and auto JK a few months back, I think another MT would be enjoyable.

Just curious how many people are buying an MT and wondering if resale would be hard with on a loaded Rubicon with an MT?
Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Auto has better resale because the marketplace is bigger (appeals to mall crawlers and off-roaders) the MT is the purists choice and while there will be less of them they are significantly less sought after on the general market, I also suspect the 8spd will further wedge that divide as it will most likely be an excellent pairing...... but, order what you like, I ordered an auto but really love the manual, biggest thing that steered me towards the auto was the Auto start for the winter days and my constant trips in heavy traffic...I can deal with it in traffic, but I really love the auto start and my experience with the 8spd in my GC leads me to believe it should be great with the 3.6 in the wrangler.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
It might take a little longer to sell, but I doubt it the resale gap will be any bigger than the $2k MSRP premium. The Rubicon has a great crawl ratio which will help resale as these vehicles make their transition from shiny commuters/family haulers to just toys.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
My last couple vehicles have been a manual transmission. After a test drive of a manual and auto JK a few months back, I think another MT would be enjoyable.

Just curious how many people are buying an MT and wondering if resale would be hard with on a loaded Rubicon with an MT?
Enjoyable, I agree. But the lessons with the wife....... Priceless!

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
If the demand for used MT Wranglers when you sell yours is the same as the demand for new MT Wranglers when you bought it, and if the percentage of used MT Wranglers put on the market is also the same as these, then I believe it's a wash. In other words, all things being equal, you should have a product for sale that, while in less demand, is also in proportionately less supply. You would need enough demand for your particular build to generate competition and so maintain price, so you wouldn't want to do something too strange, if you have resale in mind.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had a problem selling a manual. Also, manuals are stolen FAR less often.

To me, in my humble opinion, something is missing from the Jeep experience if it doesn't have a manual transmission. For someone who knows what they are doing, there is no real disadvantage off-road. Dense stop and go traffic (mostly stopped) is probably its greatest weakness, but unless I lived where that is a regular occurrance, I wouldn't even consider it in the equation.

In the 20 years I've owned Wranglers, both manuals, I have no regrets in either case and would not have ever traded either of them for an automatic.

That said, the 5 speed in the JK is a very nice transmission and drives really well. The 8 speed will be just gravy. I'm sure it will be the best driving auto ever put in a Jeep. I doubt anyone will be disappointed in any way with it. If you wanted to give me one, I would be very grateful and would enjoy the heck out of it.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never had a problem selling a manual. Also, manuals are stolen FAR less often.

To me, in my humble opinion, something is missing from the Jeep experience if it doesn't have a manual transmission. For someone who knows what they are doing, there is no real disadvantage off-road. Dense stop and go traffic (mostly stopped) is probably its greatest weakness, but unless I lived where that is a regular occurrance, I wouldn't even consider it in the equation.

In the 20 years I've owned Wranglers, both manuals, I have no regrets in either case and would not have ever traded either of them for an automatic.

That said, the 5 speed in the JK is a very nice transmission and drives really well. The 8 speed will be just gravy. I'm sure it will be the best driving auto ever put in a Jeep. I doubt anyone will be disappointed in any way with it. If you wanted to give me one, I would be very grateful and would enjoy the heck out of it.
Damn, you're talking me into it. I just need to read one positive review of the production MT first.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
Damn, you're talking me into it. I just need to read one positive review of the production MT.
Put any red blooded, all american boy or girl, buckled in the passenger seat along side you.....Then, Watch their Smile......You'll be glad you opted for the manual transmission. Guessing you'd be proud of it.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put any red blooded, all american boy or girl, buckled in the passenger seat along side you.....Then, Watch their Smile......You'll be glad you opted for the manual transmission. Guessing you'd be proud of it.
In decades of driving, I never owned an auto until three years ago, when I had no choice for the vehicle I purchased. I thought autos were for lazy people. When I started researching the JL, I was certain I would get a MT, and then the early reviews gave me doubts. I need to test drive one, which I assume will be nearly impossible.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In decades of driving, I never owned an auto until three years ago, when I had no choice for the vehicle I purchased. I thought autos were for lazy people. When I started researching the JL, I was certain I would get a MT, and then the early reviews gave me doubts. I need to test drive one, which I assume will be nearly impossible.
I'll give a detailed review when mine arrives. I still think the journalists who kept stalling it have forgotten how to drive a manual. At any rate, Jeep claims they implemented a fix for the clutch feel, which is what they were complaining about. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but praise for the feel and throw of the shifter.

I'll share my assessment after I get mine and drive it around a bit. It should take all of a few minutes to determine if the clutch feels good, or not. I've always had at least one manual transmission in my stable, so I have plenty to which it will be compared.

Sponsored

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
They, (Auto & Manual) will probably both be great choices, and there are good reasons for both. A "JL" is a lifestyle choice, not a necessity, make your decision simply on what makes You Happy.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Enjoyable, I agree. But the lessons with the wife....... Priceless!
One of the biggest reasons I ordered MT is so I can teach my kids (ages 15, 13, & 11). It’s a dying skill in America.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One of the biggest reasons I ordered MT is so I can teach my kids (ages 15, 13, & 11). It’s a dying skill in America.
Let's keep it alive! My 9 kids will all learn. My oldest just obtained a learner's permit and will be getting her first lesson this weekend in the JK. She actually wants a manual. I think her real motive, though, is that she wants that JK and is willing to take the manual to get it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Let's keep it alive! My 9 kids will all learn. My oldest just obtained a learner's permit and will be getting her first lesson this weekend in the JK. She actually wants a manual. I think her real motive, though, is that she wants that JK and is willing to take the manual to get it.
My oldest gets his permit in June. He, too, has sights on driving the Jeep!

I think MT will help keep younger drivers’ attention where it belongs, too.

OP
OP
Matthew/E36

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
That is a little bit of a concern with me as well. While I would like to order the exact build with MT (would be my first new car purchase), I would REALLY like to drive the new Rubicon with MT first. I drove a Chief JK and had no concerns with it. My current car is an M3 sedan, pretty much stock, but I do have a clutch stop to keep engagement more instantaneous. My previous sedan had short shifter, clutch stop, and other mods...and was a blast to drive.

There is just something I like about having something to do while driving. Stop and go is somewhat of a pain, especially with a bad back...but if I can do it in a fairly low-sitting sedan. The JK MT just felt like I was stirring a pot of soup...of I hit the gear...oh, think it caught. Something leisurely about shifting it was enjoyable!
Sponsored