Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Bought and installed the Grimm ARB Dual Compressor Bracket. A little pricey, but great quality and well engineered. Loved it for about one week. That's when I went to install my Metalcloak inner fender liner and found that the two are not compatible. Discovered that it's only guaranteed to fit behind the OEM fender liners. Opps. In all fairness, Grimm did mention this problem down (way down) in the fine print:

"This bracket kit will fit with stock inner fenders in place. It has not been tested with aftermarket inner fenders."

Had sold my compressor in a box, so needed a quick fix. Bought the M.O.R.E. bracket, that I've been avoiding forever. Also found a main power extension harness that made the installation much easier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJHX6SL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Removed a connector from the extension harness to fish the harness under the carpeting and out through the floor plug over the fuel tank. Then removed a connector from the ARB power harness to fish it down along the firewall to the frame. Once the two harnesses were in place I reinstalled the two connectors and joined them together. Could have soldered the ends together, but the connectors are waterproof, so left them in place.

Not elegant, but a reasonable solution.
There was a video of installing that grim mount. While it’s nice where the outlet ends up and that it’s close to the battery as you said if you’re going to install some aftermarket fender liners it doesn’t make sense. My issue with the grim mount and any engine mount is the fact that the engine compartment to begin with has all of that heat other than dirt and water. I chose and I’m still waiting on the ARB under seat mount. They’ve been on backorder but was told there is another company that makes them also. I do have the MORE bracket that came with the compressor, and it’s still an option but I just wanted the compressor in the front. I have the manifold and will install it but won’t run the lines yet for the lockers since I want to wait till I upgrade the axles.
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Finally got my ARB twin mounted up over the course of the last couple days. Went with the ARB under seat mount and designed/built myself a manifold out of parts that I sourced mostly from McMaster-Carr. Happy with the way it turned out, though I still need to fab up some brackets for the outlets which will be mounted under each of the front seats.

9D2507DE-A735-4B33-80E4-F7C0E6F8192D.jpeg

I repurposed the ARB switch/outlet bracket to instead hold a pressure gauge. I tied the switch illumination into my dome light circuit so it lights up for me when I open the door to use it, but it won't remain lit while I'm driving at night.

53DB4612-51BB-4CAA-BA99-91507524FB85.jpeg

It is tied into a pressure regulator on one side of my manifold. The other side of my manifold has a ball valve installed in it. This will allow me to air up/down all four tires at once via double ended hoses that will attach to the outlets on either side of the Jeep.

96884C3E-0132-48E0-A589-8E6ACB1308B7.jpeg

And since there seems to be a lot of concern about modifying the air vent, here's a picture of what's going on under there. The directions tell you to cut off 200mm (just shy of 8 inches), but that's not absolutely necessary (depends on your manifold configuration) and will leave your vent pretty much even with the rear of the body tub crossmember that it's mounted to. I also chose to graft the diffuser nozzle back onto the end of my vent to help spread out the air flow. Overall I think I'm at about 125mm (5inches) shorter than the stock vent configuration.

1721FA1F-3FD7-45C5-AB70-47026F64C726.jpeg
Got my air outlet brackets finished up to complete this install. Mocked these brackets up with cardboard, then transferred them to some 1/8” steel strips. 3/4” hole allows for a bulkhead to screw the ARB outlet into, the two small holes match up with existing holes on the seat frames.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 1F745731-81A3-4C0D-9C41-456A80AE0A2C

I tried installing the outlet directly into the bulkhead, but due to the slight downward angle of the seat frame, it made it difficult to insert anything into the outlet without scuffing the door sill trim. Came up with a solution that worked perfectly using a 1/4M to 1/4F adapter and a 45 degree street elbow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 7C98AA92-5AD4-4FFC-9D57-E88B41E53A87

Doesn’t stick out too far, provides easy access, and is nice and sturdy. Installed one under each seat. Made up two double hoses with “Y” splitters so I can air up/down all 4 tires at once.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 66329B2A-DC5F-4F7E-AAB6-A757A2B82086

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor EB916D4E-46FF-4A0F-A5DA-35C89A0575F2

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Got my air outlet brackets finished up to complete this install. Mocked these brackets up with cardboard, then transferred them to some 1/8” steel strips. 3/4” hole allows for a bulkhead to screw the ARB outlet into, the two small holes match up with existing holes on the seat frames.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor EB916D4E-46FF-4A0F-A5DA-35C89A0575F2

I tried installing the outlet directly into the bulkhead, but due to the slight downward angle of the seat frame, it made it difficult to insert anything into the outlet without scuffing the door sill trim. Came up with a solution that worked perfectly using a 1/4M to 1/4F adapter and a 45 degree street elbow.

Doesn’t stick out too far, provides easy access, and is nice and sturdy. Installed one under each seat. Made up two double hoses with “Y” splitters so I can air up/down all 4 tires at once.

Dam that looks awesome! I may have to look back to your post to do something similar.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
SOLD ... BTW ... if anyone else is interested in a discounted Grimm Kit, I've got one available. Installed it, used it for three weeks, and then pulled it off 'cuz it interfered with my new after marker inner fender liner.
$160 seems fair ... shame on me for not reading all of the fine print. It is a well engineered and manufactured kit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I installed the Grimm kit yesterday. Very happy with the clean install. We
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 55DD226B-5888-4787-8E46-AA58DE8BB759
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 55DD226B-5888-4787-8E46-AA58DE8BB759
will see how the compressor holds up to the heat.
I'm waiting for my kit to arrive. Has anyone wired this out to the AUX switches? While I like the underhood switch, I'm eventually going to have lockers. To me, it makes sense to operate the compressor from inside the vehicle.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waiting for my kit to arrive. Has anyone wired this out to the AUX switches? While I like the underhood switch, I'm eventually going to have lockers. To me, it makes sense to operate the compressor from inside the vehicle.
Reason why I'm doing the underseat install. I'll just run the wiring to have the front and rear lockers switch(when I upgrade the axles) to the center console. I may just upgrade my S-Tech switch to handle the compressor then.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Should not be a problem. Use the OEM ARB control wiring harness to go across to the underhood AUX switch wires and you're set to go. That part of the harness will have to be "unwrapped", the two wires sorted out, and maybe spliced to make them a little longer. Your Grimm kit will have a three wire shorty harness ... the purpose of the third wire is to light up the LED in the switch.

Wire the power harness directly to the battery. Or, to the battery through a relay that is controlled by the AUX switches ... then use the control harness connector to wire a "short" across the relay on the compressor.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Should not be a problem. Use the OEM ARB control wiring harness to go across to the underhood AUX switch wires and you're set to go. That part of the harness will have to be "unwrapped", the two wires sorted out, and maybe spliced to make them a little longer. Your Grimm kit will have a three wire shorty harness ... the purpose of the third wire is to light up the LED in the switch.

Wire the power harness directly to the battery. Or, to the battery through a relay that is controlled by the AUX switches ... then use the control harness connector to wire a "short" across the relay on the compressor.
Just so I understand, does that make both the underhood switch and an AUX switch control the compressor? From what I understand, the dual compressor has the control relay built-in. So you run the power to battery, and wire the purple line from the compressor to an AUX switch. Could you run the relay from the underhood switch and an AUX switch then?

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just so I understand, does that make both the underhood switch and an AUX switch control the compressor? From what I understand, the dual compressor has the control relay built-in. So you run the power to battery, and wire the purple line from the compressor to an AUX switch. Could you run the relay from the underhood switch and an AUX switch then?
The first time I used my underhood compressor, I forgot to turn off the switch at the fender. Discovered my mistake when I pulled into the garage an hour later and heard a slight whining under the hood. The fan on the compressor was still running ... dumb me. Thus, I'd advise not installing the switch under the hood ... sooner or later you'll be a village idiot like me and leave it on. By using only the AUX switch, the light will be right there on the dash and you'll have a better chance of turning it off when you're done airing up, and thus, prolong the life of the fan.

Also, by using only the AUX switch, the Jeep will have to be running to start the compressor ... the dual compressor pulls a rather large amp load and you don't want to inadvertently run your battery down.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

The first time I used my underhood compressor, I forgot to turn off the switch at the fender. Discovered my mistake when I pulled into the garage an hour later and heard a slight whining under the hood. The fan on the compressor was still running ... dumb me. Thus, I'd advise not installing the switch under the hood ... sooner or later you'll be a village idiot like me and leave it on. By using only the AUX switch, the light will be right there on the dash and you'll have a better chance of turning it off when you're done airing up, and thus, prolong the life of the fan.

Also, by using only the AUX switch, the Jeep will have to be running to start the compressor ... the dual compressor pulls a rather large amp load and you don't want to inadvertently run your battery down.
That was my original plan, to just use the AUX switch, but the way you worded it made me think you could operate the compressor from either. Now to get that kit in my hands!

Davidcogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JKU Rubicon / 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Hello everyone - Sorry if I missed this in one of the discussions. I am about to mount the arb twin under the front passenger seat 2018 jl. I will be using the ARB underseat bracket. Do I need to worry about an airbag going off when I disconnect the seat? -Thanks

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone - Sorry if I missed this in one of the discussions. I am about to mount the arb twin under the front passenger seat 2018 jl. I will be using the ARB underseat bracket. Do I need to worry about an airbag going off when I disconnect the seat? -Thanks
That’s a good question. I have ordered the bracket myself and I’m still waiting on it but hadn’t even thought about this.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
No.