Motorcycle versus Wrangler

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Triumph Speed Triple
Hi all,
Not-so-long time stalker and first time poster, I’ve been recently comparing various vehicles to purchase but wanted to hear opinions from current motorcycle owners or previous owners.
How does driving in a wrangler compare to driving a motorcycle? Are they comparable? I’m not talking about speed and adrenaline, but that feeling of being in the open air and feeling free driving around town or on backroads. It’s almost an indescribable feeling but I just wanted to know if there were some people who knew what I was talking about and could give their full input on it comparing that feeling on two wheels versus four.
Appreciate y’all in advance!
Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Very similar, but you are not straddling the motor! Doors off and top down is great. I sold my HD after an accident and got back to a Jeep. No regrets. Also no helmet or protective clothing in a Jeep. Plus, you can take stuff with you to go camping or….shopping! I wouldn’t mind having a bike again if my back and neck weren’t jacked up, but I won’t be without a Jeep again.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
How does driving in a wrangler compare to driving a motorcycle? Are they comparable?
You are schitttttttttting us......right?

Have you considered a new meth dealer?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I sold my Harley then bought the Jeep a week later. Didn't get out of waves though. I miss the feeling of being a part of the bike when it's under way. For that reason i'm looking to get another. I've had a few different kinds of bikes, but this time I'm 90% certain that I'll go back to a BMW GS, either a 1250 or a 1250 Adventure. The Road Glide was fun for awhile, but it just wasn't quite what i thought it would be.

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
I would say no, it's not really the same. But ... I gave up riding about 10 years ago after riding for 25 years. I am not going to ride anymore, and part of my Jeep purchase (still waiting for it) was the fun factor and while I really don't think it's at all the same, part of me is feeling like it's the next best thing. So I sorta get where you're coming from.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sovietspacedog
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Triumph Speed Triple
You are schitttttttttting us......right?

Have you considered a new meth dealer?
Haha I wish. My guy gives me too many discounts ;)
But seriously! I haven’t had the opportunity to drive with doors AND tops off, especially for an extended period of time so I just kind of wanted some community members’ inputs

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
I mentioned this a couple times in the forum but shortly after buying my first Wrangler I told my wife (god forbid) if I ever had to to give up motorcycles, a 45 year “hobby” of mine, I’d be fine with the Jeep.

It’s not the same feeling, but in the general area. There is nothing like a great handling bike on a twisty road where you and the machine are one and you hit every apex perfectly, twisting, turning, climbing and descending with the road around you enjoying the sights, smells and feelings you experience.

But a Jeep can get you close, carry more and you don’t need to suit up.

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Not even in the same ballpark. Owned and still own bikes.

Current is my baby, a 2020 Triumph T120. Jeep goes slow. Motorcycle goes fast. One I can go to a drive through in and grab a McDouble. The other... well it's fast.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
I road Harley’s, Triumphs, and BSA’s for 25 years, and yes, the feeling and camaraderie is very similar, all they way to the wave.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Is having a Rottweiler the same as having a Yorkie? Uh…No, not even close. A Jeep is fun without doubt, and sans doors and top it’s pretty drafty, BUT comparable to a motorcycle? No way. I started on bikes in ‘67, and sold my last one 2 months ago following some serious Cardiac issues. The sense of freedom, the responsiveness, the skill set required to operate the machine are totally different. I love my Jeep, and have loved small light 4x4’s since the mid 70’s, but they’re a different breed of cat than a fast, nimble bike. I loved my Super Tenere and miss it and my Tiger every nice day. (‘Course on the other hand when it’s 95 and the humidity is 90% it’s kind of nice to get in the Jeep and fire up the A/C as opposed to donning the boots, Aerostich and helmet😊). IF you are one of us crazy folks who like the way a Jeep drives and handles, you’ll love it. If you are looking for a fast, nimble open sports car, you’re in the wrong group. The closest 4 wheel vehicle I ever found to a bike was my 124 Spider, 6 Sp. With a tune and a few mods. THAT felt “similar” in its light and nimble handling and brisk acceleration. In any event, Good luck and Welcome. If you haven’t done so, rent a Jeep and drive it for a bit-see if it fits Your needs.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The closet car I ever drove in comparison to a motorccyle was the original Toyota MR2. BUt that was back in the early 90s. I'm sure there are a lot of cars that handle as well or better today.

But still, the sense of being one with the machine and it responding to your move can not be accomplished on 4 (or 3) wheels. Leaning, counter steering, brake loading, acceleration that no car has. Nope, not with a Jeep. Most bikes that are considered slow today are still faster than almost any car on the road.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Apples and oranges comparison. I own a KTM 500 ExcF and have done some trail riding. Way different experience than a Jeep off-roading…much faster but way different. A road bike is a whole different animal. Kind of like asking I scuba diving is better than ski diving.

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
When I can start enjoying my jeep like this I’ll let you know if it’s the same enjoyment. *filmed in mexico*

Sponsored