Motorcycle hitch carrier

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
This isn't strictly an inquiry about towing, so I'll park the thread here for the time being.

I've an almost-new Versahaul that I used just twice in conjunction with my now-sold truck. That vehicle had a 500 lb. tongue rating, which allowed me to safely carry a 350 lb-ish dual sport.

The Curt receiver hitch that I installed on my JLU matches the vehicle's 350 lb. tongue rating. I knew that the Jeep might compel me to sell the Versahaul, which I've not yet done (nor would I consider using it on my Wrangler in conjunction with the current Curt hitch.)

What I've just discovered is this receiver hitch. The ad copy includes a robust tongue weight rating that would otherwise restore my ability to use the Versahaul to carry my Suzuki.

Now, I've seen several photos and YT videos that illustrate hitch carriers being used to carry motorcycles of obviously similar weights [to my bike] on a Wrangler. I wasn't convinced doing so was a good idea, but I also wasn't aware of the uparmored Draw-Tite receiver hitch that I link to, above.

Can the Draw-Tite fitment functionally create additional carrying capacity?
Or is the mounting location itself (and its construction) on our JLs the limiting factor, with no practical workarounds?

TIA.

VH on RL.jpg
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
As someone with a 2022 JLR, a Versahauler and a DR650, I need you to let me know :)

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Hmmmmm . . . that would have to be way back to clear the spare tire and put even more stress on the hitch. I think "tongue-weight" means at the bumper. I'd be looking for a small trailer. Way easier to deal with, and much less stress on the JL.

G.

OP
OP
Heimkehr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hmmmmm . . . that would have to be way back to clear the spare tire and put even more stress on the hitch. I think "tongue-weight" means at the bumper. I'd be looking for a small trailer. Way easier to deal with, and much less stress on the JL.
Fair points, Gary.

I'd remove the spare tire, if or when the Versahaul is used.

I do have a trailer that I use to haul the sidecar. It's not at all as easy or convenient as a hitch carrier, but I'll concede the peace of mind it provides.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motorcycle hitch carrier Camp check in

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have been using my “MotoTote” with the drawtite hitch for several years with a 400lb superbike. I do no even have to remove my spare.

only change needed was the airlift airbags in the rear.

the drawtite is rated for ip to 675lb tongue weight on the JLU.

Another thought, if you are really concerned about the strength of the frame crossmember the hitch mounts to, I would suggest the smittybilt xrc gen 2 rear bumper. It has the hitch built in, and thus the hitch weight is distributed between the crossmember as well as the frame rails.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I don’t see how changing the hitch would increase its load capacity. I’d think the limiting factor would be how it is mounted. FYI-mine goes on a light trailer.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Fair points, Gary.

I'd remove the spare tire, if or when the Versahaul is used.

I do have a trailer that I use to haul the sidecar. It's not at all as easy or convenient as a hitch carrier, but I'll concede the peace of mind it provides.

Jeep Wrangler JL Motorcycle hitch carrier Camp check in
Awesome Jeep, Awesome Ural!

And don't you dare speed there!

T4STE

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oswachiart.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I too am curious about this as well. We got a similar carrier as op to get my gf's 2012 Ninja 250 to the shop (about 374lbs). I plan on making it a one way trip as I think the whole setup is kinda sketchy. I do not have the spare int he back of my jeep and current set up is 2.5" metalcloak GC lift and 37's. Just wondering if anyone else ran a similar set up and survived a trip or two like this.
Sponsored