lexus gx versus jeep wrangler

kburandt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 2015 F150, 06 4Runner, 2019 JLUS on order
GX is a great vehicle. It seems to depreciate much more rapidly than 4runner or wrangler. You may want to consider used.
Sponsored

mysterywrasse

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In terms of quality, no comparison, lexus is far superior to fca jeep.
I'm sure Lexus costs way more to produce than the wrangler, FCA is making a killing on the cheap to produce wrangler since it has such a great following.
With that said, different animals. If on road safety/performance/quality is important go Lexus.
My JLU is terrible in the rain, noisy on the freeway, and just terrible on the road compared to any modern suv/cuv.

With that said, it's still fun and Wrangler's keep their value well so there's that.

nomad603

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I owned a GX460 since 2014. It's actually quite capable off road vehicle since the underpinning is actually Toyota's Land Cruiser Prado. Toyota Land Cruisers are the most popular and one of the most well respected overlanding vehicles around the world since the mid 80s. I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to compare, so here's my two cents.

GX460
The GX is a much better ride, the materials are top notch. The leather being used in the car, including the seats, are just that much more rich and supple. I've owned BMW, Benz, and Audi in the past and IMHO the Lexus got this part right. Really right.

The ergonomics are kinda, to me personally, sub par. The placements of the buttons, the nav screen, menu, are functional, but rather bland. For example, BMW's menus and UI are really not that impressive when you use it, but it looks just much more exciting somehow. That turn knob and buttons just looks sophisticated. Lexus has been experimenting with quite a few varieties of interface and input systems with their nav screens and menu. I've seen a touchpad, used a palm sized trackpoint, and in the GX a touch screen. None seems to be intuitive or up the user experience. Personally, I like the touchscreens the most. The software designs are, like the above, bland but functional. Menus has too many layers to find anything but isn't too bad. You get used to it after a while. The driving experience I think feels very similar to driving a truck. Body roll can be felt at every turn, but I can feel the confidence in the chassis and I don't ever fear that it'll tip. The engine, IMHO, is only adequately powered. I don't recall the numbers offhand, but I can tell you that every time I want to pass on the freeway the transmission shifts downward, the engine roared, and then you slowly creep past the slower vehicle. I'm used to sedans with larger engines and vehicles that just takes off when you accelerate, so I don't think I can give a fair assessment here.

Wrangler:
I driven a JK rental for 10 days this summer when they ran out of cars, so my experience with the wrangler is limited. The Wrangler feels smaller than the GX460 and the Wrangler is indeed a bumpier ride, but even coming from a sedan, I don't think it feels bad at all. Try a WRX or Evo 9 MR, that's a rough ride. Noise in the Wrangler is slightly louder, still don't think it's bad. It's not like I have to shout as I converse with my passenger. Horsepower on the Wrangler, to me, is quite similar to the Lexus where as both have adequate power to move the vehicle but nothing too impressive. Although the Lexus is obviously smoother as it speeds up and row through the gears. Turning on the Wrangler feels more planted than the Lexus on low speed, on high speed through a freeway exit both feels quite similar. The interior ergonomics of the Wrangler, I think you'll either love it or hate it. Everything is placed differently, but it works well and it's not gonna win any rewards.

My induction with the Wrangler went like this:
First 10 minutes .. "Who The F**K designed this POS?"
First 10 hours .. "Hmm... It's actually not that bad. Fun to drive, cool to look at, the ergonomics works"
First 10 days ... "I see a Wrangler in my future!"

At the end of the day, I think both are vastly different cars with superb capabilities that happens to have some crossover. The GX's heritage is an overland vehicle. Thus it's good for off roading, but not rock climbing. With the GX, it's geared towards luxury and I can tell you that most of the off road capabilities are lost to the owners. It's a mature car that I really wouldn't want to take off road and through foots of water and rocks and debris. Customizing it, while isn't impossible, isn't gonna be as available and fun.

Whereas, IMHO, the Wrangler is a tamed tough almost all terrain vehicle. The roofs and doors coming off are rather pointless fun and it appeals to me. I also get to wrench on it with almost no fear of getting stuck or breaking anything I can't afford. It's just a more fun car, IMHO, for adult sized children.

That is why I just placed an order for a 2019 JLUR

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
i'm a jeep man, but been looking around while i wait a bit

a nice wrangler jl is 50+
a nice lexus 4wd gx is 50+ and lexus quality

if they made a 2-door, i'd have to consider it. but tbh, i'd really like to see wrangler quality come up
A Lexus GX 460 STARTS at $52,155 and thats before you put any options on it.
A Wrangler 2 Door starts at $27,945

It takes a Nearly fully loaded Wrangler to get up to the starting price of the Lexus, so I'm not sure what your point is.

If you want a super comfortable SUV then go with the Lexus. If you want something you'll actually take off road get the Jeep.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Lexus is a Toyota. No comparison to the Wrangler. More in the category of a Cherokee. When they make a Lexus that top comes off, doors come off and windshield folds down - we can make comparisons.
Sponsored