Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Alright! I got some really good recommendations from everyone! Thanks you! And keep them coming if you have more. Everything mentioned is on the list somewhere but I'm trying to prioritize.

I've done some Colorado trails before. However, this year I'm going with some people I met in Ouray last year and I don't know the trails we're doing or the ability of the group. Just want to make sure i'm not gonna get in over my head.

After last year, I think I've knocked out all of the "recovery gear" items, so I should be good there. Or at least most of them. Over the winter I installed a winch and then have been working on a trail tool kit and recovery bag. I do have a couple things left to get, like a snatch block of some sort.

I also have already taken care of the low hanging fruit (literally) and replaced my diff covers when I changed my diff fluid this spring. I feel the covers are sufficient at the moment, so I haven't done skids. Although I'm eyeing that Metalcloak rear diff skid.

That said...

I did order a Rusty's engine/trans skid. Like some said, the factory skids aren't horrible. several do the rubicon trail on them, so they will protect what they need to protect. I was a little worried about that oil pan and transmission lines. I ordered on like Thursday last week and it came today. That's crazy fast. I'm excited to open it and see. I was super excited to just be able to get the skid I want but also be able to upgrade my other skids later as part of the complete set. Super cool. What I was hoping metalcloak would do at some point.

In the skid department, the only other thing I ordered was a Metalcloak RAD skid. That stock one is so thin and that FAD module looks so vulnerable. Seemed like cheap insurance in the skid department for 70$. Already received and installed last night.

Next, a bottle jack. I'm going to get at least an 8 ton bottle jack and maybe also a 2 ton bottle jack. I really have no desire to have a hi-lift jack. I'm going to assume someone else in the group will have one. I can't justify the cost of the ARB Jack. And also, still can't use it to change a tire or anything because I don't have any real lifting points. My biggest concern was if I did need to change a tire, I didn't have anything tall enough to get the flat tire off. Plus I can use the bottle jack safely if I get hung up anywhere. Is that all sound logic? Seems easy for 30-40$.

Other than a few more recovery items, I'm feeling good to go. At some point, upgraded rock sliders are going to happen but I think the stock rubi rails will do okay for this trip. I would also like to add that Rusty's t-case skid later this year. I'll see how this trip goes, but the control arm skids might also be on the to-do list for this winter.

I will say, the only area of concern that remains is the rear bumper. Obviously not a capability concern but rather a protection concern. I really don't want to come down on that rear bumper and damage the tub. If it wasn't for that dumb license plate location, I'd probably already have a stronger option. The bumpers that I like currently require relocating that and I just haven't decided which direction I'm going yet. Will this likely be okay? I didn't really hear anyone express that was an urgent area of concern, so maybe I'm fine for now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, the fiberglass hinge covers are on order but they might not get here before the trip. I did, however, order a spare pair in the red in case the fiberglass ones get damaged on the trail. Never hurts to have a few spare parts for trail repairs.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Also, the fiberglass hinge covers are on order but they might not get here before the trip. I did, however, order a spare pair in the red in case the fiberglass ones get damaged on the trail. Never hurts to have a few spare parts for trail repairs.
You have to get the carbon fiber ones to save the weight. Hinged weight is the 2nd most critical after rotating weight.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hardest trail in the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area is Poughkeepsie Gulch...and there's only one optional obstacle that is even remotely challenging.

You should be fine.
This year we're going to the Taylor Reservoir area? I know where it is, but I don't know the trails in the area. How do they compare?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The most important gear for me on more than 1 trail ride was TEE PEE. (having some duct tape as well it doubles as a bandage/first aid kit)

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
This year we're going to the Taylor Reservoir area? I know where it is, but I don't know the trails in the area. How do they compare?
Most trails around Taylor are all about the same. Nothing really technical other than a few off camber drop offs.

Hit me up if you get near the Vail area. Holy cross, etc. send me a PM. We are usually up in the hills most weekends.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Diesel Engine.......I'm a bit biased, although I waited patiently for 30 years to get it.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Most important off-road upgrade?
Driver skill hands down.
A skilled driver in a mild off-road Jeep can put many, many heavily built rigs to shame.

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

The JLUR rear steel bumpers are rather weak and bend easily. They have often caused damage to the body when bent. So if your have one think hard about upgrading it to one that has a more solid and thicker metal construction.

Also consider differential skids and upgraded diff covers. These seem to always take a beating.
What are the rear seat bumpers? I haven't heard of them before.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The JLUR rear steel bumpers are rather weak and bend easily. They have often caused damage to the body when bent. So if your have one think hard about upgrading it to one that has a more solid and thicker metal construction.
The rear bumper is actually the same material & thickness as the front... It's the brackets that are weak, allowing the bumper to contact the body.

Repurposed Metalcloak (ARS) bumper brackets: https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-rear-metal-bumper-braces.html

Relevant thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oem-steel-rear-bumper-improvements.90638/

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
If this was any other (older) Jeep forum this would be a troll post.
Sponsored